Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

How did you become a Hip fan?
#61

chris Wrote:Good ol' CKLC and the Great White Hunter wakin' me up every morning.

Greg Hunter! :jump :lol:


I too grew up in Kingston. I can't really remember a moment of a great epiphany or anything. For as long as I can remember the Hip were just always there. Being local, they got a lot of airplay early on. Anyways, in the early 90's I started to explore my own music tastes rather than my parents'. FC was the first Hip album I bought myself and couldn't put down.

I lot of good things come out of Kingston, I tell you. Chris can vouch for that Wink
Reply
#62

a friend of mine worked for MCA records and remains good friends with the band ever since. He is their offical "golf buddy" when they come to Boston.

He played FC for me in 1994 and I was immediately hooked.
"Locked" especially. (Duh!)..

I saw them at the Middle East in August of 1994 (a sweaty Boston basement bar / club) and they opened with "Locked".. the stage was so tiny, Gord could push out the ceiling tiles above him during his trademark "Let me ooooooooooout!" scream.

I got another opportunity to see them back up Blues Traveler in November of that same year and bought 3rd row seats. I was so excited I had three vodka martini's in a bar before the show and got absolutley smashed. You can hear my "fucking locked!" and "Gord" screams between songs throughout the bootleg. To the amazement of the BT fans , I left the show after the Hip's set.. they were the only reason I bought the tickets..
Then God blessed me with finding the Hip bootleg trader network (cassettes at the time) and the infamous, unendingly generous Rory Young who never ceased to provide me an endless flow of great Hip bootlegs.
Its now 12 years later, I still have yet to visist Canada but I remain as rabid as Hip fan / Hip bootleg collector as can be..
The fact that Chris has organized Hiptracker and provided us a myriad of Hip DVD's is just about the closest thing to heaven a bootleg junkie like me could ever request..
"sniff, sniff,..I love you guys!"

Scott in Boston
:thumb:
Reply
#63

I actually became a hipfan by defualt, growing-up 15 minutes from Kingston, and my brother getting me in to my first hip experience at Old Fort Henry. I then started listening to the albums.

I will admit the Hipbase, and internet has heightened my liking of the band.
Reply
#64

Locked Wrote:a friend of mine worked for MCA records and remains good friends with the band ever since. He is their offical "golf buddy" when they come to Boston.

He played FC for me in 1994 and I was immediately hooked.
"Locked" especially. (Duh!)..

I saw them at the Middle East in August of 1994 (a sweaty Boston basement bar / club) and they opened with "Locked".. the stage was so tiny, Gord could push out the ceiling tiles above him during his trademark "Let me ooooooooooout!" scream.

I got another opportunity to see them back up Blues Traveler in November of that same year and bought 3rd row seats. I was so excited I had three vodka martini's in a bar before the show and got absolutley smashed. You can hear my "fucking locked!" and "Gord" screams between songs throughout the bootleg. To the amazement of the BT fans , I left the show after the Hip's set.. they were the only reason I bought the tickets..
Then God blessed me with finding the Hip bootleg trader network (cassettes at the time) and the infamous, unendingly generous Rory Young who never ceased to provide me an endless flow of great Hip bootlegs.
Its now 12 years later, I still have yet to visist Canada but I remain as rabid as Hip fan / Hip bootleg collector as can be..
The fact that Chris has organized Hiptracker and provided us a myriad of Hip DVD's is just about the closest thing to heaven a bootleg junkie like me could ever request..
"sniff, sniff,..I love you guys!"

Scott in Boston
:thumb:

You were drinking what? Confusedhock: Tongue Tongue Just teasing ya man. :thumb:
Reply
#65

I was watching ice skating on tv one evening and one of the songs Kurt Browning skated to was by the Hip. That was before the computer/mp3 revolution. About the time that I was getting disgusted with buying a cd and ending up liking only one song on it. I did go to the cd store and look at their cd's but never bought one--didn't know what to buy. My loss! I wish I had known that no matter which one I picked I would have gotten a winner!

Around 6 years ago, I met someone (a very good friend now) from Calgary and went to visit. We went to the Stampede, and as we were leaving they started playing Blow at High Dough. Of course I wanted to know what the song was and who the band was. I couldn't believe it when I found out how long this song had been around! One of Canada's secrets that shouldn't be kept!
Reply
#66

Having never heard any of their music before, I saw The Hip open for Page & Plant in St. Louis back in 1995. Two things immediately drew me to them; the groove the band created and Gord Downie being Gord Downie. A few weeks after that show I used my store credit at a local used cd shop to get Up To Here, Road Apples, & Fully Completely (not to mention a Rush bootleg!). I got Day For Night a short time later, and while I found them all to be good, it was the Fully Completely album that made me realize "These guys are frigging brilliant!" And while we haven't always shared the same tastes in music, I turned my wife onto the band and she, too, fell in love with them and we've since shared many great moments together where The Hip has served as the soundtrack. Now, 11 years after that pleasant discovery, I can say without a doubt that they've attained Legend status in my musical world.
Reply
#67

I am currently introducing a "new fan." She is a brit who has just discovered the goodness that is scared... Perhaps I will encourage her to stop by here once I get here through her intensive training. She has only heard FC and WC and maybe six other random songs...
Reply
#68

When our cable company switched over from 30-odd channels to 70 a few years back, we started getting MuchMusic for about a one-month period. I saw the videos for "Music @ Work", "Poets", and "Nautical Disaster" and started wondering why i'd never heard of this spectacular band before. The rest = History.

I forced my girlfriend and several acquaintances into the Hip by the sheer fact that for weeks after it came out, to be around me was to hear World Container.
Reply
#69

It was 2002, when they came to Sarnia Bayfest, my brother told me I was going because the only thing I listened to at the time was AC/DC. He locked me in a room with speakers, and he controlled the songs that were to be played. He played the songs that I could expect to be played live.

I immediately got hooked on Fireworks.


I'll write more later I gotta go.
Reply
#70

May 1995, I spent 2 weeks driving around Nova Scotia, P.E.I., and New Brunswick with my parents. I did most of the driving, therefore I controlled the radio. Smile One day I heard Meridian on the radio and thought, wow, what a great song, who sings it? I think I had heard of the Hip but never any of their songs. Next time we were somewhere that had a record store (I believe it was Charlottetown) picked up Fully Completely on a whim. I don't think it left my cd player for the next 3 months. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to see them live until the M@W tour. That's when I went from "I like this band" to "I LOVE this band!" :jump

Fully and completely hooked ever since.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)