Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

World Series
#31

fingernailsonhull Wrote:WHITE SOX WIN!!

I don't care what anyone says, that was a great World Series. The pitching in Game 4 was phenomenal. Backe absolutely dominated. Red Sox in 2004, White Sox in 2005, could it be the Cubs in 2006?

How dare you speak of the World Series here?

From now on, all baseball talk is confined to the 12-page NHL thread.
Reply
#32

You know, Esthete, I looked back on my post after I posted it and realized that it was very out of place. I just figured that a thread entitled "World Series" would not be a code name for "Discussion of New NHL".

Latest news in World Series thread: New NHL is great
Latest news in NHL thread: White Sox win the World Series!

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#33

cferneyh Wrote:I'm not a Habs fan. I'm a Leaf fan. But I have the utmost respect for Saku. And sorry, but I'll take Saku over Domi, McGratton or Belak in ANY hockey league. The purpose of the game is to score more goals than the other team, not to be a big monkey on skates who can throw 'em.

The NHL has ALWAYS been a league built on speed. It's probably the biggest difference between being an AHLer and an NHLer. Listen to anyone talk after their first NHL game and they always say the biggest adjustment is speed.

What makes Pat Quinn's opinion more valid than Gretzky's? Randy Carlyle?!?! So a former d-man with all of 10 games coaching experience in the NHL is now an authority? And Don Cherry's entire SCHTICK - and it is a schtick - is to bitch and whine about anything to do with the NHL. If Don Cherry is so wise in the ways of hockey over the previous two decades, then how do you explain his piss-poor track record when he owned and controlled the Ice Dogs?

Skill isn't all that matters, but it should be a huge component of what matters. Hey, if you want to see the Domi's and McGratton's and Belaks of the world duke it out for 60 minutes, so be it. Personally, I'd rather watch McCabe fire a perfect pass to Sundin at the blueline, then watch Sundin burst down the wing, stickhandle past Redden, and then deke Hasek out of his jock. A sweet goal by Sundin gets me more fired up than anything Domi has ever done (especially since he never drops the gloves anymore anyway).

And back to Quinn, as much as I love the guy and as much as I think he's an awesome coach, he's notorious for whining about the officiating. He whines when they don't call enough penalties and he whines when they call too many penalties. I'd love to know how much he's been fined over the years. I remember him being fined $30K for bitching about the officiating during the '02 Isles/Leafs series alone.

Cferneyh, I didn't say I would rather have Belak or Domi on my team than Koivu. I was just saying Koivu isn't considered a tough player in the NHL in the same mold as those guys.

I know what you're saying about Quinn and Carlyle and Cherry. I disagree with Cherry and Quinn most of the time but I do agree with them on the new NHL. It's all good though. I guess we'll just have to disagree.

As for the World Series, it was a good series in the sense that all the games were close but a sweep isn't generally considered to be a classic series. This year will go down just like last year, with a curse being lifted in a four game World Series sweep. You need to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. Chicago proved this. Every team that wins needs a few breaks along the way and this was Chicago's year.
Reply
#34

Even if you dont like how the game is being played, at least this has been settled for the league. No team can cry its not fair and they cannot compete. Its like in the NFL where teams that suck, for example my Lions, you can only blame the stupid management (Matt Millen) and poor drafting for their terrible record over the years.

If teams suck this year its because of the GM and coach. Yes there are lots of penalties now, but players have to stop water sking behind guys. I agree its not as physical and I do miss that, but you miss scrapes like Belak just grabbing guys from behind the net? Tackling guys in the corner because the scrape cant keep up? Come on..

As for Koivu, just for you saying he is a pussy is pretty sad on your part. He has always taken a beating in front, and always plays hard.
Reply
#35

prz Wrote:Even if you dont like how the game is being played, at least this has been settled for the league. No team can cry its not fair and they cannot compete. Its like in the NFL where teams that suck, for example my Lions, you can only blame the stupid management (Matt Millen) and poor drafting for their terrible record over the years.

If teams suck this year its because of the GM and coach. Yes there are lots of penalties now, but players have to stop water sking behind guys. I agree its not as physical and I do miss that, but you miss scrapes like Belak just grabbing guys from behind the net? Tackling guys in the corner because the scrape cant keep up? Come on..

As for Koivu, just for you saying he is a pussy is pretty sad on your part. He has always taken a beating in front, and always plays hard.

Fine, Koivu isn't a pussy. I'll say it. You've convinced me he isn't a pussy. However, don't make up bullshit lies about him like he has always taken a beating in front of the net. Koivu never used to go to the front of the net. If you want to talk about taking a beating in front talk about guys that do or used to do it like Shanahan and Neely and Iginla. Don't mention Koivu. I already said I kind of like Koivu as a player. I don't think you have to put him up on a pedastal though and make up stuff like he always took a beating in front. It's just not true. The last guy on Montreal that took a beating in front might have been Corson or someone like that. They've been a soft team for years. Even Montreal fans would agree with that.
Reply
#36

fingernailsonhull Wrote:You know, Esthete, I looked back on my post after I posted it and realized that it was very out of place. I just figured that a thread entitled "World Series" would not be a code name for "Discussion of New NHL".

Latest news in World Series thread: New NHL is great
Latest news in NHL thread: White Sox win the World Series!

I can't wait for the World series to start. I hear the White Sox have been making noise, and I'm glad the excrutiatingly long regular season is over.

Now, obviously this years Series wont have the same hype as the Red Sox last year, I mean it's not like there's another curse to break or anything... don't they usually hold the Series in October?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll hear about it on the news or in the papers or from people on the street whenever it finally gets started. Although, nobody's really seemed to give a damn about these last few weeks of the season.
Reply
#37

Stephen Dame Wrote:
fingernailsonhull Wrote:You know, Esthete, I looked back on my post after I posted it and realized that it was very out of place. I just figured that a thread entitled "World Series" would not be a code name for "Discussion of New NHL".

Latest news in World Series thread: New NHL is great
Latest news in NHL thread: White Sox win the World Series!

I can't wait for the World series to start. I hear the White Sox have been making noise, and I'm glad the excrutiatingly long regular season is over.

Now, obviously this years Series wont have the same hype as the Red Sox last year, I mean it's not like there's another curse to break or anything... don't they usually hold the Series in October?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll hear about it on the news or in the papers or from people on the street whenever it finally gets started. Although, nobody's really seemed to give a damn about these last few weeks of the season.
huh? Confusedcratch:

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#38

LizardKing51 Wrote:
Stephen Dame Wrote:
fingernailsonhull Wrote:You know, Esthete, I looked back on my post after I posted it and realized that it was very out of place. I just figured that a thread entitled "World Series" would not be a code name for "Discussion of New NHL".

Latest news in World Series thread: New NHL is great
Latest news in NHL thread: White Sox win the World Series!

I can't wait for the World series to start. I hear the White Sox have been making noise, and I'm glad the excrutiatingly long regular season is over.

Now, obviously this years Series wont have the same hype as the Red Sox last year, I mean it's not like there's another curse to break or anything... don't they usually hold the Series in October?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll hear about it on the news or in the papers or from people on the street whenever it finally gets started. Although, nobody's really seemed to give a damn about these last few weeks of the season.
huh? Confusedcratch:

See, when I read that it certainly seemed like it was dripping with sarcasm. That was one, huge sarcastic post - I love it. Well done, Dame.

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#39

fingernailsonhull Wrote:See, when I read that it certainly seemed like it was dripping with sarcasm. That was one, huge sarcastic post - I love it. Well done, Dame.

Just surprised me how little attention the whole thing receieved this year. Maybe because there's still a novelty to hockey being back, but I found nobody was really paying attention to the Series this year.

I have jock friends who didn't care, it was never high on the sports pages, it got killed in the ratings by everything from Law and Order (in the U.S.) to WWF RAW (here), and despite some great games, I always got blank stares when I asked "did you see that game last night?"

It seemed like a marginal World Series, an also ran to the Yanks-Sox drama that unfolds every year.

Maybe they should make the catchers glove smaller... and get rid of the red line.
Reply
#40

Ya, with hockey back, the series didn't carry much weight, especially with the two teams involved...maybe if the Cubs were there, people woulda cared.

Saying that, my dad is a huge white sox fan, so he is now unspeakably happy, and he deserves it after 46 years of misery as a white sox fan (he jumped on the bandwagon in '59 when they won the ALCS)...
but it was the lowest rated WS ever, so I mean, there wasnt much interest outside the regions, at least comparitively speaking.
Reply
#41

Stephen Dame Wrote:
fingernailsonhull Wrote:See, when I read that it certainly seemed like it was dripping with sarcasm. That was one, huge sarcastic post - I love it. Well done, Dame.

Just surprised me how little attention the whole thing receieved this year. Maybe because there's still a novelty to hockey being back, but I found nobody was really paying attention to the Series this year.

I have jock friends who didn't care, it was never high on the sports pages, it got killed in the ratings by everything from Law and Order (in the U.S.) to WWF RAW (here), and despite some great games, I always got blank stares when I asked "did you see that game last night?"

It seemed like a marginal World Series, an also ran to the Yanks-Sox drama that unfolds every year.

Maybe they should make the catchers glove smaller... and get rid of the red line.

If they get rid of the red line and make it so catchers can only play the ball in a small elliptical area behind home plate, the game should be sped up and eliminate the defensive advantage gained when catchers play the ball. Of course, they can play the ball anywhere in fair territory.

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#42

Just to keep the baseball talk alive.. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=141313">http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=141313</a><!-- m --> Looks like Manny wants out again! Make up your mind Manny! What is it with this guy?

Any idea where this guy might end up? I hope he goes to the Yanks, that will take that rivalry up a notch or two. :lol:

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#43

tigerthelion Wrote:
prz Wrote:Even if you dont like how the game is being played, at least this has been settled for the league. No team can cry its not fair and they cannot compete. Its like in the NFL where teams that suck, for example my Lions, you can only blame the stupid management (Matt Millen) and poor drafting for their terrible record over the years.

If teams suck this year its because of the GM and coach. Yes there are lots of penalties now, but players have to stop water sking behind guys. I agree its not as physical and I do miss that, but you miss scrapes like Belak just grabbing guys from behind the net? Tackling guys in the corner because the scrape cant keep up? Come on..

As for Koivu, just for you saying he is a pussy is pretty sad on your part. He has always taken a beating in front, and always plays hard.

Fine, Koivu isn't a pussy. I'll say it. You've convinced me he isn't a pussy. However, don't make up bullshit lies about him like he has always taken a beating in front of the net. Koivu never used to go to the front of the net. If you want to talk about taking a beating in front talk about guys that do or used to do it like Shanahan and Neely and Iginla. Don't mention Koivu. I already said I kind of like Koivu as a player. I don't think you have to put him up on a pedastal though and make up stuff like he always took a beating in front. It's just not true. The last guy on Montreal that took a beating in front might have been Corson or someone like that. They've been a soft team for years. Even Montreal fans would agree with that.

In no way was trying to compare him to Neely or Shanahan. I should clarify what I mean to say about Koivu. For a guy his size, he has taken his share of abuse. He has always played hard. In his early years, I think he suffered so many injuries and missed so many games because of the way he played.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)