Billy Wrote:I wasn't going to wade into this but what the hell...seen newbies "ganged-up" on quite a few times...a simple private message would have been much more diplomatic and considerate...I have also noticed the "clique" mentality present here...
I won't go as far as asking anyone to name names, but I think some actual examples may help clarify things. If the issue is two or more members with similar perspectives that oppose another individual's point of view is "ganging up", then it's a problem of perception. In some recent election discussions, several of us (myself included) had a passionate discourse. One "side" was initially supported by Horrible Esthete and until the discussion dragged on, few members joined his side of the "argument".
He may have felt "ganged up" on, but nobody set out with that intention; his position was so firm and for the most part so well stated that it obviously inspired those on the other end of the political spectrum. I can't speak for everyone involved in that discussion, but I'm confident that at least a couple of us that argued heavily "against" him were inspired by the quality of his argument "against" us, and I don't think it did any lasting damage. Everyone's entitled to feel how they feel and believe what they believe whether it's politically, personally, or whatever. If others share the same or opposite perspective and join the discussion, that's life, not a group effort towards a common opponent.
On the other hand, if a new member's first post is "where can I download music", they appear to be less interested in what they can bring to the community and more interested in how much they can take from it. Imagine a stranger waliking in your door and going straight to the fridge saying "got any beer?"...will you welcome them or say "dude, WTF are you doing?".
I occasionally visit an unrelated forum where there is a
specific thread that newbies
must use to post an "introduction". If the old-timers don't like their introduction, they're severely ridiculed by about thirty different people; if they post in another thread without posting an introduction, they're told (by about fifty people) to GTF back to the "Newbie Thread and post an introduction, you POS F'ng newbie!"
If new members followed well established guidelines that permeate
every forum and discussion group I've ever seen (read the FAQs, lurk for a while to get a feel for the community before you post, search before you start a new thread, etc.) They may feel more like they're in the "clique", instead of oustide it, and they're less likely to get fifteen replies that say "read the FAQ" or "do a search".
Hell, I lurked here for the better part of a year and since I started posting I've never felt like an outsider. I've probably pissed a person off here and there, but it was never intentional and I've never been mean-spirited although on occasion, others may have percieved me to be. Still, I feel comfortable sharing thoughts, gaining insight, and indirectly getting to know people I never would have met otherwise.
I'm pretty sure that we're all able to take constructive criticism, so if anyone can provide a couple of concrete examples of a mob mentality, those who played a part in creating that perception could certainly grow from it.
~Scott