Posts: 83
Threads: 12
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
Thanks, Chris, for the thoughtful post :thumb:
Posts: 2,571
Threads: 145
Joined: May 2003
Reputation:
0
Beautiful Post Chris, you summed it all up for me, I LOVE THIS ALBUM TOO, I think I'm going to print off what you wrote, that was great man :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Posts: 320
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2005
Reputation:
0
There hasn't been anything sufficiently interesting around here to compel me to post since I was inexplicably called a liar a few weeks back, but I have to say - good post, Chris. You summed up most of my feelings about World Container, too.
Posts: 892
Threads: 32
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
Ya know, even I - apparently an outlier, although Skippy and I actually seem to be in complete agreement on this - have said that those are, in many cases, great SONGS. For the millionth time, all I'm saying is that I find the way that most of the songs are executed on the album to be excruciatingly overblown, bludgeoning all genuine emotion out of them, in favour of histrionics and overproduced hysteria. Therefore, I don't like the record.
No need to feel sorry for me, either...there's a new Dylan CD, there's Gillian Welch albums, there's all kinds of great stuff. I'll survive the lack of a listenable new Hip CD. :lol:
Note, also, that my original post specified 'The Kids Don't get It' as the one moment where the execution is 100% bang on. That's because that particuar song obviously demands a demented punk-band treatment. The rest are, as I said earlier, mostly delicacies crushed by pound after pound of sonic ketchup.
And it's true, ya know, that most terrific artists sooner or later make an album marred by awful production decisions. The Beatles made 'Let It Be.' The Hip made 'Fully Completely,' an album whose production was so problematic that they re-mixed that material for re-release. (I wonder what they said about it at the time? Probably NOT that it sucked). Elvis Costello had 'Goodbye Cruel World.' Like the Hip, he went around promoting it and praising it effusively, as among his best work, at the time. Twenty years on, he was repudiating it as a debacle that ruined a bunch of promising songs. So even the best artists can be totally deluded by their own work (to say nothing of the fact that a band's statements when they're *in the midst of a massive promotion push for a new album* can NOT be taken as the last word on its merits).
Posts: 882
Threads: 11
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
Lots of good posts in this thread...other than the bickering
Personally I have no issues with the band letting Mr Rock take the helm on the trip to create this disc.
As Chris pointed out , and with all those before them , they need to be played and played and played....even with the streaming from The Hip dot com , it's really too early to be judging.
And for me , a new album is merely the birth...
Hearing them live will be the proof in the pudding
And after the CBC gig....I'm in line for 2nds at the dessert table
Posts: 536
Threads: 33
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
Chris, great post. :thumb: Made me forget what I was even fighting about.
Oh yeah... now I remember. One last thing, then I'll drop it. Skippy, if you look back to my first post in this thread, I wasn't even talking to you. That wasn't directed towards you at all. It was generic advice that just happened to be posted after a comment you posted. Then you went off with your "dipshit" newsflash.
Take it easy.
And to everyone else, I'm sorry. It is officially dropped.
Again, Chris. Loved the post. Can't get enough of it.
Posts: 453
Threads: 26
Joined: May 2006
Reputation:
0
Ah well to each his own..........I will remember to have a drink for Ben whats-his-name on November 4th at the Commodore when I AM ROCKING OUT TO THE BEST BAND IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for yer input, Ben - it matters.... :lol:
All I'm hearin' is youuuuuuuu
Posts: 892
Threads: 32
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
And, oh yes, just in reply to Chris's thoughtful post...
All fair observations. I could respond with a track-by-track analysis, but why cause people further distress? I do want to say that I can't see listening to this record, say, 20 times and learning to like it, or a lightbulb going on and I suddenly 'get' it. There's much to 'get' in these songs, as songs, yeah. But there's NOTHING to 'get' about the way they're decked out, which is standard tasteless 'overblown rock production,' and which I loathe. Why I would submit myself to the same punishment over and over is beyond me. I'm too old for that, life's too short.
Posts: 2,568
Threads: 80
Joined: Oct 2003
Reputation:
0
This is great.
It never ceases to amaze me how the criticism of anything Hip leads to embittered retaliation, and accusations of "arrogance".
Yes, this is a "fan board". More specifically, it is a forum within the "Tragically Hip Databse". There are no subfolders in the "Tragically Hip Discussion" entitled "Album Praise" and "Album Criticism".
Where might someone express their personal criticism of World Container other than the most prominent online forum devoted to TTH, where one can be sure to find others with knowledge (and thus, opinions) of its works? In truth, this is the best place for it, and this discussion is one of the more substantive and intriguing to be found 'round these parts.
It is refreshing to see some actual discussion of the perceived merits & flaws of TTH material amidst the superfluous exultation.
I see nothing objectionable in the manner and content of KWT's critique. As a matter of fact, questioning whether the songs on WC suffer from over-production is as elemental as criticism can be when evaluating a studio recording.
Posts: 194
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2006
Reputation:
0
Another thought by Downie: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/Tragically+Hip+plus+producer+Bob+Rock+equals+hockey+to+a+calypso+beat/Music/MusicNews/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=39002025&feedname=CP-ENTERTAINMENT&show=True&number=5&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=">http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/ ... tect=&abc=</a><!-- m -->
No, I'm not trying to stir the pot here. Simply more thoughts by Downie on the album... (and yes, B Rock is plastered about). Just maybe another glimpse into why this album sounds the way it does - and why it's so different.