Posts: 61
Threads: 2
Joined: Oct 2006
Reputation:
0
I'm going to disagree.
NOIS is a great song, and let's face it, that's the tune that pays the bills (seriously, they wouldn't have gotten big until Fully Completely without that song). at the first Calgary club show, I thought it was great, they put a really special punch to it live.
I don't read the Rolling Stones forum, but seriously, this would be silly in other cases. Just imagine some guy going "Jesus Christ, how long have they been playing satisfation?"
Plus, when they put big hits early in the set, that's pandering to the hardcore types like you and I rather than casual fans.
Posts: 680
Threads: 34
Joined: Dec 2004
Reputation:
0
yup, i've been sick of NOIS for a LONGGGG time now, ever since they stopped jamming out the middle... it seems that's the trend lately with the hip though, with the exception of meridian, they play pretty much everything straight through nowadays, rarely hitting you with the unexpected/new stuff....that being said, they've pulled out some great older stuff in the past year, and hopefully they've got more in store, though recent setlists of the 07 tour don't seem to suggest, other than the cover tunes, which don't excite me anyways... bring back the old days!!!! lol
I just listen to the bootleg of my first show in 95, then my most recent shows in 06, and while the shows this summer were all smokin, I still miss that whole jam in the middle, gordie going nuts time... so ya, if NOIS has grown stale, put it on the shelf....play 3 or 4 Yer Favourites tunes each night, 5 WC tunes, and pull out the rarer stuff a little more often....
Posts: 517
Threads: 26
Joined: Aug 2006
Reputation:
0
ya I'm gonna have to agree- sort of. NOIS is a pimped song but I would rather The Hip play a set of their more rare songs, than say their more frequently played songs. Replace NOIS, Meridian (or maybe not, still gives me kicks when i hear it live) Nautical and Courage, with dusty classics like An Inch An Hour, Beautiful Thing, We'll Go Too, Let's Stay Engaged and Sharks. For me it would make a more memorable show. Thats just my opinion though
Edit: What the fuck ever happened to "Looking For A Place To Happen" if they played this in Winnipeg I would seriously shit my pants and black out
Posts: 1,674
Threads: 70
Joined: Jul 2006
Reputation:
0
I can't believe that people are sick of hearing 'Courage' live - I love that song! Especially live. Granted, I haven't been into The Hip aslong as a lot of you, but I still find Courage (and NOIS for that matter) exciting live!
I agree though that it would be nice to have a few rarer songs to really spice things up - but then I guess you can't please everyone.
Posts: 294
Threads: 9
Joined: Sep 2006
Reputation:
0
they have SO many "hits" that they don't have to rely on NOIS.
but the thing is, they don't. there are nights they play it, nights they don't.
i'm all for that kind of mentality.
Posts: 1,618
Threads: 125
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
Just as stated above, The Hip not playing NOIS is like the Stones not playing Satisfaction, or Eric Clapton not playing Layla, or Tom Petty not playing Breakdown, or Rush not playing Closer to the Heart, etc..........
I honestly don't think it should be removed from setlists. The song is a warhorse and deservedly so, it's a classic song, it is a staple and a major milestone in The Hips career. Plus, like it or not 50% of people who go to concerts are casual fans expecting the warhorses.
Have I heard NOIS 20 times live, yes. Have I heard Satisfaction 10 imes live, yes. And I expect to hear them both live again (well hope to hear satisfaction again..........LOL). And every time I hear it I will be up there bouncing and singing along right beside the "casual fan"!
All that being said, it would be interesting if they mixed up a little bit, maybe try a stripped down slower acoustic version or something..........alla Everlong or Layla............
Posts: 66
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2005
Reputation:
0
I cant get enough of New Orleans is sinking. That song really pumps me up , and makes me want to dance. Every year a band plays at the campground I camp at in the summer and they always play it for me and I just love it. But you still cant beat the real thing. Its a great canadian party song and reminds me of all the good times growing up.
Some people may be sick of it and I understand why.
Posts: 2,568
Threads: 80
Joined: Oct 2003
Reputation:
0
Songs I'd rather have chopped out of setlists before NOIS:
1. Ahead by a Century
2. At the Hundredth Meridian
3. Courage
4. Poets
5. Fireworks
6. Springtime in Vienna
7. Fully, Completely
8. Blow at High Dough
9. Music @ Work
10. Fire in the Hole
11. Little Bones
Yes, some, if not all of those are incredible songs. Yes, some of them are especially good 'live'. But I've heard 'em. I've heard 'em, heard 'em again, and heard 'em some more. I'm getting weary of Hip shows in general because I know those tired numbers will comprise a huge chunk of any given show.
At least NOIS is their 'signature' song. I like "tradition"; if that one song is a fixture in every show, a sort of "tradition", then I'm down. It's nowhere close to my favorite, but I will say that it's one of their very best, and it is a very important song for this band's legacy.
I'd much, MUCH rather they cement that legendary song in setlists for posterity than churn out 10 songs from the above list every show, filling prescious slots that could be filled with dozens of equally-good, lesser played numbers that I have rarely heard, if ever, even though I've been regualarly attending TTH gigs since 1993.
Now, I go into a show knowing I'll hear about half the album they're promoting, which is great (except they used to play 80-85% in the 'new' albums in early years); I know I'll hear most of those on the above list (and several other regulars which I'll probably never get tired of hearing, like Gift Shop), and that leaves room for just a few songs that aren't completely anticipated.
It kinda makes me want to stop going, y'know?
And that's a little sad.
Posts: 2,568
Threads: 80
Joined: Oct 2003
Reputation:
0
Far less blasphemous than suggesting that NOIS no longer be played....
But....to each his own!
Posts: 127
Threads: 9
Joined: Sep 2003
Reputation:
0
1. Ahead by a Century
2. At the Hundredth Meridian
3. Courage
4. Poets
5. Fireworks
6. Springtime in Vienna
7. Fully, Completely
8. Blow at High Dough
9. Music @ Work
10. Fire in the Hole
11. Little Bones
I could do without all of these also pretty much.
I also agree with the above post. I watched the DVD today and forced myself to watch the songs I usally skip. If they end up playing Springtime at the Toronto show then I might as well enjoy.
It definitely has been awhile since I heard some of the original album tracks.
I should stop listening to any Live Hip until the concert.