Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

World Series
#16

tigerthelion Wrote:
prz Wrote:
emperor penguin Wrote:
mark Wrote:bud selig is the worst commisioner over.

I agree that he's a terrible comissioner, but I don't think anyone can top Gary Bettman as the worst commisioner in the history of sports

Have you watched any games this year yet? Everyone is saying how much more the game has improved. Let alone the financial stability Gary has brought to the league.

Sorry to tell you, but he is going to go down as the guy who saved this game.

NOT EVERYONE is saying the game has improved. If you think it's good that it's easy to score now and there's no physical contact and players like Chris Pronger are rendered basically useless and there's no contact in front of the net so little pussies like Koivu and Ribeiro can stand in front of the net without being touched....... well, I guess the game has improved...just not in my eyes. What kind of game is hockey without the physical nature of the sport?????? The strength factor has been taken out. The physical advantage has been taken out of the game, which is a bad thing. Now, people in Toronto have to pay 500 dollars a game to watch pond hockey.....and that's a good thing????

agree 100 per cent..i'm sick of seeing a penalty called every ten seconds...sure i'm glad the nucks are winning, but i'd rather see some exciting hockey and have them win not because they had 11 power plays a game
Reply
#17

opiated Wrote:
tigerthelion Wrote:
prz Wrote:
emperor penguin Wrote:
mark Wrote:bud selig is the worst commisioner over.

I agree that he's a terrible comissioner, but I don't think anyone can top Gary Bettman as the worst commisioner in the history of sports

Have you watched any games this year yet? Everyone is saying how much more the game has improved. Let alone the financial stability Gary has brought to the league.

Sorry to tell you, but he is going to go down as the guy who saved this game.

NOT EVERYONE is saying the game has improved. If you think it's good that it's easy to score now and there's no physical contact and players like Chris Pronger are rendered basically useless and there's no contact in front of the net so little pussies like Koivu and Ribeiro can stand in front of the net without being touched....... well, I guess the game has improved...just not in my eyes. What kind of game is hockey without the physical nature of the sport?????? The strength factor has been taken out. The physical advantage has been taken out of the game, which is a bad thing. Now, people in Toronto have to pay 500 dollars a game to watch pond hockey.....and that's a good thing????

agree 100 per cent..i'm sick of seeing a penalty called every ten seconds...sure i'm glad the nucks are winning, but i'd rather see some exciting hockey and have them win not because they had 11 power plays a game

You, my friend are a wise man.

By no means am I a huge Leafs fanatic, but I did enjoy the way they played the game hard and physical. I agree with Pat Quinn when he says:
________________________________________
"Where it is right now, in spite of everybody saying 'Oh, I love the new game,' I don't love the new game," Quinn said Saturday after a 5-2 loss to Philadelphia. "I don't think it's hockey. It's special teams situations and we've got gimmicks to decide games.

"It's totally different. You're not going to see the physical playoff style if everybody is afraid of penalties. So far, we've won our games on special teams and we've lost our games on special teams. Five-on-five is like the dodo bird."
__________________________________________
Reply
#18

cferneyh Wrote:
tigerthelion Wrote:NOT EVERYONE is saying the game has improved. If you think it's good that it's easy to score now and there's no physical contact and players like Chris Pronger are rendered basically useless and there's no contact in front of the net so little pussies like Koivu and Ribeiro can stand in front of the net without being touched....... well, I guess the game has improved...just not in my eyes. What kind of game is hockey without the physical nature of the sport?????? The strength factor has been taken out. The physical advantage has been taken out of the game, which is a bad thing. Now, people in Toronto have to pay 500 dollars a game to watch pond hockey.....and that's a good thing????

I simply don't buy the argument that "no hooking = no physical play". Granted, the league needs to clarify what is and what isn't allowed in front of the net, but I've seen some pretty sweet open-ice hits.

I'm no Habs fan, but Koivu is hardly a pussy. Ribeiro, definitely. Koivu, absolutely not. Last year in the playoffs Koivu played with cracked ribs, torn rib cartilage and a bruised lung - and still put up 11 points in 11 games. Meanwhile, Joe Thornton played with one of those injuries (torn rib cartilage) and didn't put up a single point in seven games and was minus six. If you think Koivu's a pussy then I'd love to know what you think Disappearing Joe is.

I agree that Koivu is a tough player and can take contact. I'm just saying he wouldn't be able to stand in front of the net in the old NHL but in this new NHL, there is basically no contact in front. I've seen slight pushes that were called in front, let alone if someone actually cross checked a guy or something.

I didn't say "no hooking=no physical play". There is pretty much no contact of any kind allowed. You can't say with a straight face that the NHL games have been physical. There are about three hits a game. Big deal. Did you see the playoffs last season???? Flames/Canucks???? Leafs/Flyers??? That was great hockey because you had to fight and claw for a goal and there were hits everywhere. It was hard hitting, bone crunching, exciting hockey. The Leafs/Islanders series a couple years ago might have been the best hockey I've ever seen. I miss that.
Reply
#19

tigerthelion Wrote:I didn't say "no hooking=no physical play". There is pretty much no contact of any kind allowed. You can't say with a straight face that the NHL games have been physical. There are about three hits a game. Big deal. Did you see the playoffs last season???? Flames/Canucks???? Leafs/Flyers??? That was great hockey because you had to fight and claw for a goal and there were hits everywhere. It was hard hitting, bone crunching, exciting hockey. The Leafs/Islanders series a couple years ago might have been the best hockey I've ever seen. I miss that.

I disagree that "there is no contact of any kind allowed". Physical contact on the player with the puck is still allowed. What is not allowed is clutching and grabbing, using your stick to interfere with guys without the puck, etc etc etc. In other words, the rules - as they have always been written - are being enforced. What is so exciting about some slow footed winger hooking a guy who is trying to join a 2-2 rush to make it a 3-2 rush? Nothing. That isn't physical contact. That's a slow guy trying to slow down a fast guy. Woooohoooo! Personally, I'll take a fast skating game with odd-man rushes and some nice open ice hits over the clutching and grabbing and hooking and interfering and cycling cycling cycling cycling cycling anyday.

I agree that all of the penalties being called is getting annoying, but the players will have to learn to adjust. If they can't, and they keep getting penalties, then they'll gradually see their icetime reduced.
Reply
#20

tigerthelion Wrote:I agree that Koivu is a tough player and can take contact.

C'mon - you called him a pussy. Now you think he's tough? Confusedcratch:
Reply
#21

I don't know if I totally agree with this, the Habs-Flyers game yesterday had lots of big hits even the announcers were talking about what a physical game it was. I know thats just one game but I don't think that hard hits and physical play is totally out of the game. I like hard hits just as much as the next guy, and I hope it never leaves the game. As for Koivu he's not a big guy but he plays big and isn't a pussy, I never see him back down from a hit or be afraid of the corners. And the way he battled back from that cancer and led the Habs to the playoffs a couple years ago is a testament to his determination and toughness. Yeah he's no Bertuzzi, but he's got lots of skill and wins alot of faceoffs and I like how he's played this year thus far.

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#22

i've got the centre ice package, and it's 90 percent certain that when i flick to a game there will be a power play...to me..that's not exciting hockey..they have to get out the clutching and grabbing..agreed..but i think calling every little touch of a stick or glove to a body is boring
Reply
#23

opiated Wrote:i've got the centre ice package, and it's 90 percent certain that when i flick to a game there will be a power play...to me..that's not exciting hockey..they have to get out the clutching and grabbing..agreed..but i think calling every little touch of a stick or glove to a body is boring

Some refs, especially the newer ones if I remember correctly, seem to be overly aggressive in calling penalties, such that every ticky-tack contact is called. I'll give you that. But I think over time, everybody (players, refs, coaches, etc.) will find that standard, that middle ground, and learn how games really are to be played. Then you will see fewer penalties and more 5-on-5 play, more physical play and more hits, without a reduction in the increased offensive flow and excitement caused.

Let's remember, we're still in the first month of the season. I don't think we're anywhere near the finished product that will be "the new NHL". I think it will continue to get better as the season goes along. And I'll venture to say that the playoffs will produce some of the best hockey ever, because they'll be intense, physical AND full of free-flowing offensive hockey. Literally, anybody can win it all this year, assuming they make the playoffs.

Anyway, interesting how a World Series thread has become another hockey discussion. Geez, you'd think that we're Canajun, eh?? :lol: To sort of get back on track, White Sox are leading 1-0. Houston had a great pitching performance by a real unknown, Brandon Backe, but again can't score to back him up. If you can't score in that situation, then I'm sorry, but you don't deserve to win.
Reply
#24

WHITE SOX WIN!!

I don't care what anyone says, that was a great World Series. The pitching in Game 4 was phenomenal. Backe absolutely dominated. Red Sox in 2004, White Sox in 2005, could it be the Cubs in 2006?

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#25

cferneyh Wrote:
tigerthelion Wrote:I agree that Koivu is a tough player and can take contact.

C'mon - you called him a pussy. Now you think he's tough? Confusedcratch:

I think he's tough for beating cancer and I agree that he can get bumped around on the ice and still come back. He is not tough in the sense that he couldn't beat Martin St Louis in a fight but he is tough for beating cancer. He doesn't shy away from the contact like others, ie.. Ribeiro laying on the ice.

BUT, in hockey terms, Koivu is a pussy. He can't fight and is a SMALL MAN. He should not be allowed to stand in front of the net unharmed.

I don't care what anyone says, the old NHL was WAY BETTER. It's no sense arguing though because the fact is most fans seem to like watching all star games and wide open hockey. I think there should be some challenge to get to the net. I mean, guys are just skating right in on the goalies. Brad May had a freaking end to end rush and goal the other night against Vancouver for fuck sakes!!!

And oh yeah...... ASTROS LOSE IN SWEEP >>>>>HIP HIP HOORAY.
Reply
#26

So Saku Koivu is the captain of the Habs. He's beat cancer. He's played through injury and been productive. He doesn't shy away from physical play and isn't afraid to go in the corners. But because he doesn't fight and because he's 5'10" he's a pussy? Uh, OK.

Dude, if that's your brand of hockey, I suggest you become a fan of the Ligue Nord-Americaine de Hockey. All fights! All the time! Skates optional!
Reply
#27

cferneyh Wrote:So Saku Koivu is the captain of the Habs. He's beat cancer. He's played through injury and been productive. He doesn't shy away from physical play and isn't afraid to go in the corners. But because he doesn't fight and because he's 5'10" he's a pussy? Uh, OK.

Dude, if that's your brand of hockey, I suggest you become a fan of the Ligue Nord-Americaine de Hockey. All fights! All the time! Skates optional!

C'mon brother. I actually kind of like Koivu as a player but would you say he's tough compared to Lindros or Pronger or Domi or Mcgrattan or Belak??

And dude, if you like this new hockey, that's fine. I hate it. I'm sure Montreal fans love it because it's like pond hockey and guys like Kovalev and Ribeiro and Koivu have no fear of getting hit. I don't want all fights. I just want a league where there is some fear of getting hit. I don't want to see a league where as long as you can skate fast, you can play. Hell, I'd be willing to bet there are Midget AAA players who could play in this new NHL. All you need is speed. I know what I'm watching. I don't care if Montreal fans or Pierre Maguire or Gord Miller tell me the game is better. Ask Pat Quinn if the game is better. Ask Randy Carlyle. Ask Don Cherry. Ask guys who don't cum in their pants over the notion of a fucking shootout to decide a game. This new NHL is as gadgety as the now defunct XFL, which everyone bashed. Well, this new NHL is just like it.

Why do they even bother playing?? If skill is all that matters, why not have a skills contest to decide games? Just set up pylons and have shootouts. That's what the fans want right? Why bother getting in the way of that with an actual game??
Reply
#28

I'm not a Habs fan. I'm a Leaf fan. But I have the utmost respect for Saku. And sorry, but I'll take Saku over Domi, McGratton or Belak in ANY hockey league. The purpose of the game is to score more goals than the other team, not to be a big monkey on skates who can throw 'em.

The NHL has ALWAYS been a league built on speed. It's probably the biggest difference between being an AHLer and an NHLer. Listen to anyone talk after their first NHL game and they always say the biggest adjustment is speed.

What makes Pat Quinn's opinion more valid than Gretzky's? Randy Carlyle?!?! So a former d-man with all of 10 games coaching experience in the NHL is now an authority? And Don Cherry's entire SCHTICK - and it is a schtick - is to bitch and whine about anything to do with the NHL. If Don Cherry is so wise in the ways of hockey over the previous two decades, then how do you explain his piss-poor track record when he owned and controlled the Ice Dogs?

Skill isn't all that matters, but it should be a huge component of what matters. Hey, if you want to see the Domi's and McGratton's and Belaks of the world duke it out for 60 minutes, so be it. Personally, I'd rather watch McCabe fire a perfect pass to Sundin at the blueline, then watch Sundin burst down the wing, stickhandle past Redden, and then deke Hasek out of his jock. A sweet goal by Sundin gets me more fired up than anything Domi has ever done (especially since he never drops the gloves anymore anyway).

And back to Quinn, as much as I love the guy and as much as I think he's an awesome coach, he's notorious for whining about the officiating. He whines when they don't call enough penalties and he whines when they call too many penalties. I'd love to know how much he's been fined over the years. I remember him being fined $30K for bitching about the officiating during the '02 Isles/Leafs series alone.
Reply
#29

tigerthelion Wrote:And dude, if you like this new hockey, that's fine. I hate it. I'm sure Montreal fans love it because it's like pond hockey and guys like Kovalev and Ribeiro and Koivu have no fear of getting hit. I don't want all fights. I just want a league where there is some fear of getting hit. I don't want to see a league where as long as you can skate fast, you can play. Hell, I'd be willing to bet there are Midget AAA players who could play in this new NHL. All you need is speed. I know what I'm watching. I don't care if Montreal fans or Pierre Maguire or Gord Miller tell me the game is better. Ask Pat Quinn if the game is better. Ask Randy Carlyle. Ask Don Cherry. Ask guys who don't cum in their pants over the notion of a fucking shootout to decide a game. This new NHL is as gadgety as the now defunct XFL, which everyone bashed. Well, this new NHL is just like it.

Why do they even bother playing?? If skill is all that matters, why not have a skills contest to decide games? Just set up pylons and have shootouts. That's what the fans want right? Why bother getting in the way of that with an actual game??

Maybe I'm just dense and I just don't get it... but I have problems believing anyone could think the old NHL, with all its clutching, grabbing, trapping borefests, is better than what we have now. With the exception of the shootout... yes it's a gadgety, stupid way to decide a game and I've been on record here already saying how much I hate the shootout. But otherwise, how is the new NHL worse? You bash the fact that skill and speed are more a part of today's NHL... um, last I looked, they are an integral part of hockey. And I want to see that in hockey games, not a bunch of slow, no-talent hacks grabbing on to the skilled guys and hanging on for dear life. Yes I also want to see physical play, and I think we are seeing that, and we'll see even more of it as the refs get more consistent and players understand how the games will be officiated.

And while I don't know too much about Carlyle, you couldn't have used two more "dinosaur"-like guys to align yourself with than Quinn and Cherry. As much as I like Quinn as a coach, he holds on to the past too much and really needs to join the 21st century. And Cherry... come on man, he's comic relief. Hey I like watching him as much as anyone, but how seriously can you take him?

I don't know, you have your opinion, and I'm probably not going to change your mind. But I will say, hang in there and give the new NHL a chance. I think by the end of the season you will end up liking it a lot and not missing the old days.
Reply
#30

Being born in Detroit, I have always been a Tigers fan. Thus, I'm really impartial to either chicago baseball team, but it really was great to see the sox win last night. They really are the bastard child of all the chicago sports teams. People so love the pussy cubs its not even funny. So great to see the sleezy south siders win one before the yuppie cubs.

Mick
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)