Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Matt Mays
#16

Blue Rodeo are generally amazing, aren't they? But I was in the same situation as you about Mays and El Torpedo--I'd never really heard them and knew nothing about them before the BR show in Halifax (how out of touch am I, really???) and it was love at first sight. They are AMAZING live.

So I discover the Big Local Band just as they outgrow the local scene. I am SUCH a loser. Wink
Reply
#17

Last night after the Matt Mays + El Torpedo gig on the Saint John Boardwalk I asked Andy Pattil (bassist) whether or not they would ever tour with The Hip. He said something like this "There are two Canadian bands that I consider music royality: Blue Rodeo and The Hip. I genuinely think that it would be awesome touring with The Hip." FYI, Matt Mays + El Torpedo finished up a recent tour with Blue Rodeo, and Andy also added that he believes that his group is more of a Tragically Hip sound than Blue Rodeo.
Reply
#18

buzz882 Wrote:Last night after the Matt Mays + El Torpedo gig on the Saint John Boardwalk I asked Andy Pattil (bassist) whether or not they would ever tour with The Hip. He said something like this "There are two Canadian bands that I consider music royality: Blue Rodeo and The Hip. I genuinely think that it would be awesome touring with The Hip." FYI, Matt Mays + El Torpedo finished up a recent tour with Blue Rodeo, and Andy also added that he believes that his group is more of a Tragically Hip sound than Blue Rodeo.

I caught most of the Matt Mays FREE show here on PEI on Canada Day. Him and his band did sound pretty darn good. "Cocaine Cowgirl" to close his set was fantastic. His guitar playing is very much influenced by Neil's style. Their show was louder, or should I say more electric than I anticipated. I've listened to his first cd with El Torpedo and it was good. I haven't heard the entire new cd yet though. His live show is more rocking than his cd's. If you close your eyes for a few seconds you might think you are listening to Crazy Horse when Matt and the boys are playing on stage.

BTW, Blue Rodeo are playing here on PEI in August. I saw that some tickets are 50 bucks and some are as low as 38.50. I thought this (50)was pretty steep for a show at the Confed Centre here on PEI. I guess if I asked if it was worth it, you would all say YES. I just don't know if I'd fork out 50 bones. ......
Reply
#19

The idea of Matt and El Torpedo touring with the Hip pleases me. It's great to be a fan of the opening act as well as the headliner.

The thing about young bands touring with Blue Rodeo and the Hip is, both those bands pick openers they like musically, they treat them well (including sound-wise, which is good for us fans) and are supportive in general. As a result you've got bands like Sam Roberts Band essentially going around saying they want to be just like the Hip when they grow up--and then their openers, like Mays and his band, get the benefit of being treated well by SRB, who are emulating their mentors. (In the case of El Torpedo they've gotten the benefit of both Sam's experience with the Hip and their own with Blue Rodeo.) You've got to figure it rubs off.

If the Hip's theory that happy bands play better is correct, between them and Blue Rodeo they've probably done more than anyone in Canada to raise the quality of future shows--and probably the feeling of community among musicians.

Come to think of it I keep hearing that Juno week is quite the party...
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)