Poll: Should Barry Bonds be intentionally walked for the rest of the season? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0
0%
No
0%
0
0%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Should Barry Bonds be intentionally walked?
#16

clarke Wrote:the whole debate of whether selig should be in attendance is absurd, thats his job and if he doesnt want to associate himself or recognize the record he should have a stop to the steroids 15 years ago

Very well put.
Reply
#17

I would love to see Bonds walked every PA the rest of the season with a few "dottings" mixed in, but this could never happen for two reasons:

a) Bad Strategy -- There comes a point where it will be insane, in terms of baseball strategy, to issue the guy an automatic base on balls regardless of the situation. We have two whole months to go, and there will be many times where Bonds comes to the plate in situations where an intentional walk is simply out of the question. All of the Giants' NL West conterparts are within 5 games or so of the division lead....and not one of them will be willing to jeopardize a possible win for the sake of depriving Bonds a HR.

b) Pitcher Ego / Empathy -- There are certain pitchers who I'm guessing will simply refuse to willingly hurt their own stat lines to give Bonds an automatic BB. And there are undoubtedly pitchers in the league who have used themselves, and are either openly or secretively supportive of Bonds.

For me, it's too late now anyway. Barroid now claims a share of the record, and therefore, the tragedy has already occurred.

Way to go, Bud. You're a disgrace.
Reply
#18

The Horrible Esthete Wrote:Way to go, Bud. You're a disgrace.

I agree more or less (he is in a tight spot). The fact is, Selig has no balls. Bart Giamatti would have never let this crap happen though.
Reply
#19

don't worry guys, A-Rod will take the record :mrgreen:
Reply
#20

Barry Bonds' HR Record Tainted by Elbow 'Armor'?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003621797&imw=Y">http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1797&imw=Y</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#21

I can't stand Barry Bonds and think it will be a sad day in baseball when this son of a bitch takes one of the most hallowed records in the sport away from a truly class act like Hank Aaron. Especially annoying to me is that one of my teachers in my sport business management program that I'm almost finished is a huge supporter of Bonds and has almost a pathological dislike of Bud Selig (mind you I'm no great fan of "Bud Lite" either but still...). His fawning over Bonds makes me ill.

I wish it were possible for him to be intentionally walked for the rest of the season. In fact (and I almost feel a little dirty about this because I rarely wish ill on anyone), I wish that Bonds would twist a knee or something and thus suffer a career-ending injury.

2 things though... Esthete is correct in saying that the damage may already be done since Bonds has already tied the record. And I suspect TDC may also be correct... having just turned 32 and already with 500 HRs, A-Rod could very well own the record himself in a few years, barring serious injury.
Reply
#22

Well there it is. Elbow Armor, steroids and all, Barry Bonds now holds the major league record for career homeruns. Mike Bacsik just became the answer to a trivia question.
Reply
#23

*
Reply
#24

I say good for Barry. I'm certainly no fan of his, but drugs or no drugs 756 career home runs is still a remarkable accomplishment. The league and the players' association made this bed by not doing anything about steroids, and now they get to lie in it.
Reply
#25

grimes Wrote:I say good for Barry. I'm certainly no fan of his, but drugs or no drugs 756 career home runs is still a remarkable accomplishment. The league and the players' association made this bed by not doing anything about steroids, and now they get to lie in it.

756 is remarkable with or without roids, i agree. I'll even admit that Barry is amongst the 5 greatest players of all time, without question.

But never will I say "good for Barry", because he is a Grade-A asshole.
Reply
#26

haha this is funny..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ql6VxMYlB0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ql6VxMYlB0</a><!-- m -->

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#27

The Darkest Canuck Wrote:*

Amen. :thumb:

And LK, great find! :lol:
Reply
#28

The Horrible Esthete Wrote:But never will I say "good for Barry", because he is a Grade-A asshole.

I've heard this quite a bit lately - it's the standard second line after "Barry Bonds broke Hank Aaron's homerun record." I have to admit that I don't know Bonds from a hole in the ground. Do you think he's an asshole because of the steroid use or is there something else?

Also, is the steroid use a known fact? Shouldn't that disqualify him from playing?

Sorry for the lame questions. I don't really follow baseball but I'm interested in all the dislike of Bonds.
Reply
#29

Sam Wrote:
The Horrible Esthete Wrote:But never will I say "good for Barry", because he is a Grade-A asshole.

I've heard this quite a bit lately - it's the standard second line after "Barry Bonds broke Hank Aaron's homerun record." I have to admit that I don't know Bonds from a hole in the ground. Do you think he's an asshole because of the steroid use or is there something else?

Also, is the steroid use a known fact? Shouldn't that disqualify him from playing?

Sorry for the lame questions. I don't really follow baseball but I'm interested in all the dislike of Bonds.

Bonds' attitude problems toward the press and even his fans started before he was so close to the Aaron's record. He's cold, resentful, greedy and standoffish, even when dealing with children.

One stunning example is his current stance concerning the Hall of Fame. As of now, Bonds will not donate his uniform or other artifacts once he is voted in. He plans to sell them for figures in the millions.

I'm sure there are other instances that more knowledgeble baseball fans could site, but that's all I've got.

-Jenna
Reply
#30

he has refused for years to take part in the home run derby...even a month ago when it was in SF...his reason is "im a grown man and i dont have to do things i dont want to"
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)