03-22-2005, 12:58 AM
I was raised Catholic, as my mother is Catholic and my dad hasn't regularly attended church for some time.
I have drifted away and do not attend church regularly, much to my mother's chagrin. She is a very reasonable and loving person, so she doesn't hate me for not going, but she certainly wishes that I did go to church regularly (and is not above occasionally dropping a little Catholic guilt in there every now and then).
Despite my not attending church regularly (combination of disappointment in some aspects of the Catholic church and a lack of discipline/motivation to go every week), I still believe in God and I do think my belief in God guides me in my decision-making.
I do tend to disagree with people who believe that religion is inherently evil or wrong in some way... my feeling is that religion itself is morally pure, but it is the human beings representing or interpreting the religion that cause the problems, because as we all know human greed and self-interest sometimes pervert noble intentions.
That's pretty much all I have to say about that right now.
I have drifted away and do not attend church regularly, much to my mother's chagrin. She is a very reasonable and loving person, so she doesn't hate me for not going, but she certainly wishes that I did go to church regularly (and is not above occasionally dropping a little Catholic guilt in there every now and then).
Despite my not attending church regularly (combination of disappointment in some aspects of the Catholic church and a lack of discipline/motivation to go every week), I still believe in God and I do think my belief in God guides me in my decision-making.
I do tend to disagree with people who believe that religion is inherently evil or wrong in some way... my feeling is that religion itself is morally pure, but it is the human beings representing or interpreting the religion that cause the problems, because as we all know human greed and self-interest sometimes pervert noble intentions.
That's pretty much all I have to say about that right now.

