11-03-2004, 12:54 PM
VioletlightHeron Wrote:scottitude Wrote:The Horrible Esthete Wrote:...civility and grace?
"Now the U.S. Supreme Court has spoken. Let there be no doubt, while I strongly disagree with the court's decision, I accept it. I accept the finality of this outcome which will be ratified next Monday in the Electoral College. And tonight, for the sake of our unity of the people and the strength of our democracy, I offer my concession."
ALBERT GORE JR., VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, DEMOCRATIC PARTY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, DECEMBER 13, 2000
If that isn't civility and grace, I don't know what is. You can't blame the Democratic Party or it's candidate for the travesty created in Florida by the Supreme Court's absolute failure to properly interpret the law and and the undeniable tampering perpetrated by Jeb Bush and Katherine Harris.
erm, I hate to point this out, but Gore wasnt exactly being graceful when he contested the Florida election in 2000 when he wanted a recount on only 4 Democratic leaning counties...he wanted to win, he wanted to change the rules where it suited him in those 4 counties and the Supremes shut him down.
Gore actually won FLA, its a fact. So to contest the fact that he lost made a lot of sense. The story ran in the Sept 12, 2001 NY Times, of course, no one cared at the point (and rightfully so).
I do agree it was foolish of the 04 dems to contest it though.
Overall I am dissapointed , frustrated, but not really surprised in the outcome. Its just too bad that the US election has such a big stake on the whole world.

