Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

#16

Life is way different for black people in the south than here. The race card gets pulled out, because the problem is still there.
Reply
#17

Littleproud Wrote:Life is way different for black people in the south than here. The race card gets pulled out, because the problem is still there.

Was Ty from Rockstar INXS from the deep south?

Part of the problem is that nobody wants to change things in the South. Heck, there are still US Senators who pretty much admit that they are racist. Didn't Trent Lott support segregation? I know there are one or two Senators who still are in favour of segregation. The one thing I do know for sure is that I have NOTHING to do with the suffering of African Americans so I don't appreciate the ENTIRE WHITE RACE being called racist.

I just don't buy crap like that from Kanye. To me, he comes off as a guy trying to make a name for himself. From seeing him on television all the time, he's definitely an attention seeker and has an ego that makes Gene Simmons look humble in comparison.

BTW, there is a lot of reverse racism that happens down south also. What is the difference between the word "whiteboy" and the "N" word?

Anyway, nobody should be racist obviously and every race should be respected but I don't believe for a second the reason for the delay is because of the high number of African Americans in need in Louisiana.
Reply
#18

Littleproud Wrote:Life is way different for black people in the south than here. The race card gets pulled out, because the problem is still there.

I agree and disagree with your statement, Littleproud. There are still some problems for blacks in the South, that part I agree with, but I think race and discrimination is not the current cause of the problems there. In my mind the problem is the history of past racial discrimination that has caused a vast gulf of mistrust between whites and blacks in the South. For good reason, blacks remember the days of lynching and discrimination in the Jim Crow days and can't bring themselves to trust the intentions of white folks while, in my opinion, good hearted whites are shamed by the actions of their ancestors but resentful that blacks in the south blame them for the actions of their grandfathers and fathers. And so, the two peoples tend not to trust each other farther than they can throw them (old saying of my dad's) and some of the resulting actions, ie white flight to suburbs, the deteteriation of the inner city, etc have economic and social consequences that further widen the gulf. As for Trent Lott, I have no idea what he was thinking when he uttered that stupidity during Strom Thurmond's birthday party and I have to point out that while Strom was a vile racist for most of his life, towards the end of his life he freely acknowledged that he had had a long term affair with a black woman and acknowledged the daughter from that affair as his in public.
Reply
#19

VioletlightHeron Wrote:and I have to point out that while Strom was a vile racist for most of his life, towards the end of his life he freely acknowledged that he had had a long term affair with a black woman and acknowledged the daughter from that affair as his in public.
I'm not clear. Is it the fact that he had an affair with a black woman or the fact that he admitted to it that needed to be pointed out, and how does either change the fact that he was a "vile racist"?
Reply
#20

Dr. J Wrote:
VioletlightHeron Wrote:and I have to point out that while Strom was a vile racist for most of his life, towards the end of his life he freely acknowledged that he had had a long term affair with a black woman and acknowledged the daughter from that affair as his in public.
I'm not clear. Is it the fact that he had an affair with a black woman or the fact that he admitted to it that needed to be pointed out, and how does either change the fact that he was a "vile racist"?

I'm just saying that there is a strong love/hate relationship between whites and blacks especially in the South and it tends to cloud what either side feels/says about the other personally while their public personas can be quite different.
Reply
#21

hey, newsflash, wakey wakey, raise you're hand if you're black...





yeah, that's what i thought, don't comment on things you don't know about, don't stereotype, and don't bash Bush bashers, cause Bush deserves every bit of it no matter who it's from...Lucifer himself could show up on CNN right now and start bad mouthing Bush, and i'd be cool with it. Stop hatin' on Kanye, he's a cool guy, a very talented producer, and an a'ight MC, get off his jock, cheerleaders.
Reply
#22

So it's okay to bash Bush but not okay to defend him or bash the people that are bashing him? I thought you would fight against that kind of limitation on freedom of speech, TDC, not encourage it.

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#23

VioletlightHeron Wrote:
Littleproud Wrote:Life is way different for black people in the south than here. The race card gets pulled out, because the problem is still there.

I agree and disagree with your statement, Littleproud. There are still some problems for blacks in the South, that part I agree with, but I think race and discrimination is not the current cause of the problems there.

Last time I was in Atlanta, I ate in a Chinese restaurant with a guy I knew from the area. We left, met a woman he knew out front.

"You can tell the good Chinese restaurants 'cause all the Chinese people eat there," she said. "Oh well, at least it isn't full of blacks."

Yup, racism's a thing of the past in the south.
Reply
#24

VioletlightHeron Wrote:
Dr. J Wrote:
VioletlightHeron Wrote:and I have to point out that while Strom was a vile racist for most of his life, towards the end of his life he freely acknowledged that he had had a long term affair with a black woman and acknowledged the daughter from that affair as his in public.
I'm not clear. Is it the fact that he had an affair with a black woman or the fact that he admitted to it that needed to be pointed out, and how does either change the fact that he was a "vile racist"?

I'm just saying that there is a strong love/hate relationship between whites and blacks especially in the South and it tends to cloud what either side feels/says about the other personally while their public personas can be quite different.

I guess it originates from the proud tradition of fucking your slaves when your wife wasn't looking?
Reply
#25

From what I understand, Bush and the federal government were slow in addressing the situation in the Katrina devastation zone, and thus slow in getting help to the people affected (yes, many of them black people). Assuming that's true, then yes Bush and his cabinet deserve to be blamed and criticized for this. After all, isn't preserving the safety and quality of life of a country's citizens the main responsibility for the leader of that country?

Having said that, why are people not equally as loud in blaming and criticizing the local and state officials? Sounds to me that they have a lot to answer for as well in this whole situation.

And for anyone to say that Bush actively hates black people is ridiculous. Unless he says he hates blacks or allows laws to be passed that purposely harm blacks, then you cannot say he hates black people. You can say his policies don't properly solve the problems black people face (that's another argument for another time), but saying he hates blacks is just wrong.

Of course, considering the source of the statements, I can give it the amount of credibility it deserves... zero.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)