Posts: 875
Threads: 42
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
This battle is just going to keep getting battled out in the courts. Its pretty sad.
Posts: 2,211
Threads: 39
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
I think what's sad is the record industry's attempt to have its cake and eat it too.
They're not happy with the copyright collective arrangement, which sees us all paying surcharges on blank media that go into the record industry's pockets. They want to have copyright collectives, and they also want downloading to be illegal.
That's goofy.
Posts: 669
Threads: 16
Joined: Apr 2005
Reputation:
0
Meh. If i'm paying money online for songs, I might as well just buy the album.
Did get most of "Road Apples" off iTunes with those get-a-free-song Pepsi caps, though.
Posts: 481
Threads: 68
Joined: Aug 2004
Reputation:
0
What gets me is why do the studios charge 18+ bucks for something that costs .50 cents to make? (US money, here..). It's time that they address the fact that they have been ripping the public off for decades. I support my favorite band 100%, but it does get me irked when I shell out a Twenty for a piece of plastic.. Industry professionals live in the lap of luxury...
:x
How do they know that the people who DL the tracks eventually didn't buy the entire album? What's wrong with getting a free sample before you buy? Don't they do that in grocery stores and bakeries up in Canada too? I used to work at a place that sold it's own ice cream. We gave away as many free sample as people wanted!!! It helped to sell our product!!!
And how about the stuff that is given to radio stations? I'm sure opitated will back me up on this. They send all kinds of free crap to radio stations to give away, like FREE CDS and T-shirts, etc.
Posts: 60
Threads: 4
Joined: Feb 2005
Reputation:
0
I can't help but feel that maybe this is the same thing record companies said when cassette tapes were brought out. Sure you could tape off the radio, but everyone still went out to buy the albums too.
It is like a try before you buy idea I think.
How many times have you bought an album only to find out that there are only 1 or 2 good songs?
I live in Amsterdam, do you know how it took for IBE to come out here?? I would have gone crazy had I not been able to download it. I bought as soon as it came out here but 30 euro = 55CDN is quite a chunk of change to lay out too.
Being a foreign Hip fan is an expensive habit but worth every cent...
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
Barny, (and all of the Europe based Hip fans) next Hip CD that is released, we'll set up a plan to get them over to you as soon as they are released here, and at our costs. 30 Euros is outrageous...
And the record companies are going to have to put an end to shows like "Cribs", and "The Fabulous Life Of..." if they want me to believe that people aren't buying CDs.
Posts: 2,025
Threads: 109
Joined: Jan 2003
Reputation:
0
Mark me down as well. I'll help out however I can. I already get frustrated when I have to pay around $20 (US) for music...but $55 (CAN), that's over the top!
-Jenna
Posts: 111
Threads: 4
Joined: Nov 2003
Reputation:
0
Anyone remember when M&W got leaked to Napster in the spring of 2000? What the record company suits fail to realize is that the folks online doing the downloading are a) big fans that will spend their money anyway and b) leaders not followers within music fandom and spread the gospel to those more casual listeners.
If anyone without an agenda could do some real research on this interesting subject they would see that a huge percentage of the illegal downloads lead directly to legal downloads or disc sales.
I download mp3's a lot but I also buy them alot on iTunes.
sonofdad