Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

IVL appreciation thread
#16

Amazing album...

Darkest One = brilliant sound/lyrics... I rock out to that one in my car and don't give a F about who's looking at me.
Good Life = Gord's vocals on this track are great. I think it was a good choice for a single.... just not the FIRST single.
Silver Jet = I love this tune. "snoring Gords & Cheryls" is a great phrase. It envokes a lot of visuals for me. Not to mention that this is the tune where the beautiful cover art is inspired. "There's a heron outside. In violate light"
Throwing Off Glass = gives me a feeling of moving in slow motion.
Leave = the sequal to M@W's Stay?
Beautiul Thing = Another tune that is very visual to me. The first line of the song is great. "in ulcerating silence perspective comes the way it always does - for it's random"
Dire Wolf = Took me a few listens, but it eventually grew on me.
Dark Canuck = A great closer for the album. "if we ever get home and the subject comes up, war isn't for children. War is nothing to know". Killer song.

Lets not for get Problem Bears & Ultra Mundane = These definitely are gems that we're lucky the boys released. I think they would have fit on the album nicely.

The whole album feels like a dream sequence to me. Which is good for when I just want to listen to music and drift off into my own little world. It's very artsy and could almost be the older brother of Day for Night.

Just my opinion. Peace out.
Reply
#17

What about Forest Edge? The three "unreleased" tracks that we know about from this album are all fantastic, and I think they all would've worked well within the context of the album.
Reply
#18

The unreleased tracks belonged on the album. A couple of the album tracks deserved to be unreleased: All Tore Up, Are You Ready, Silver Jet....
Reply
#19

skippy the wonder dog Wrote:The unreleased tracks belonged on the album. A couple of the album tracks deserved to be unreleased: All Tore Up, Are You Ready, Silver Jet....
didnt they say Silver Jet barely made it on the album, they decided to throw it on last second, I like SJ, but Ultra Mundane is such a great song, its a shame it didnt get on. All the more reason for a b-sides/rareties album.

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#20

sorry to be a nitpicker, but isn't it "perspective comes, the way it always does, for its ransom" and "war isn't for children; war is nothing's enough"

doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference, but I figured since we're quoting lyrics

IVL's currently playing in my car, and I enjoyed All Tore Up on the way into work this morning, which is usually a song I don't pay much attention to. The Dire Wolf/Dark Canuck combo at the finish leaves me breathless every time and even Are You Ready/Use it Up to start isn't nearly as bad as I sometimes pretend it is.

Ultra Mundane, I have grown tired of listening to at this point (I OD'd), but I still really like Problem Bears. Forest Edge was always the poor cousin of the unreleaseds. I think Oh Honey from the Men with Brooms soundtrack should have made its way within the IVL universe instead of just kind of existing out there in the ether. Oh Honey could have made an interesting album closer (in the vein of Pines or Gems), although Dark Canuck is so ass-kicking it might not be a good idea to mess with success.

ct
Reply
#21

IVL is an incredible album, and doesn't get the recognition it deserves. It's definately one of my favourite albums ever. Also, I may take some heat judging by the common concencus regarding Are You Ready, but I think it's a great song. All in all a tremendous album and the bonus tracks are amazing as well. Especially Problem Bears and Forest Edge. My favourite song from IVL is probably All Tore Up, it was great live and I wish tthey would still play it.
Reply
#22

Personally, my fondness for IVL grew from it being the only album I could find for a year. Pretty much every shop I've looked in (aside from one, to which I'm eternally grateful, lol) has either no Hip albums at all, or that one. Darkest One got me hooked, I think.

And I was surprised - one album for that long normally gets dull.
Reply
#23

if there was one song I could hear them play at a concert it would easily be Problem Bears

and The Dire Wolf might be one of the most unappreciated hip songs ever but I loved it from the first listen Big Grin
Reply
#24

Although I loved M@W, I felt it weas a step down from Phantom Power, which I ranks as one of, if not exclusively, their best album.

But IVL showed they can still improve, and in fact, they've done the same with IBE.

They are still a solid, and relevant rock band.
Reply
#25

Count me in.

All I remember is listening to that album and thinking..."I can't believe after nearly 20 years they are still making some of their best stuff." I wasn't a huge fan of M@W at the time so IVL helped assure me that the boys weren't going away anytime soon.

I love this album beginning to end. Every song feels like it should be on that album much like Day for Night.
Reply
#26

Forest Edge, Problem Bears and Ultra Mundane are weak compared to all the tracks on the album and i'm glad they got cut, but Oh Honey should've been included.
Reply
#27

i could not disagree more.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)