Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

The Radically Hip
#31

Yeah I saw Road Apples in Kingston about 3-4 year ago. They played at AJ's in downtown Kingston. It was a great show. They did a really good job on 50 Mission Cap,Fully and Wheat Kings. The lead singer didn't really sound like gord but he had a good rock and roll sound. He didn't try to act and sound like gord either, which is good because we all know there is only one Gord. :mrgreen: :thumb:
Reply
#32

I've seen them all and the best HIP cover band ever: Road Apples hands down. Lead singer Mike Campeau sounds exactly like Gord and doesn't try to be Gord. Worst ever: Wheat Kings hands down (Saw them at a bar in Perth called Fiddlehead's once and they sucked almost as bad as the bar itslelf). QUESTION: What ever happened to the Road Apples?? They used to play eastern Ontario all the time and they've dissapeared off the face of the planet for the last 4 years it seems. WHY Sad
Reply
#33

Ive seen Wheat Kings like 3 or 4 times and i gotta say they do put on a pretty good show, they dont sound the best but once you get a couple of her down yea its all gewd =P
Reply
#34

Jeremy of Strictly Hip has been performing fewer and fewer hip songs in the rotation. They have rounded out the set to include all kinds of bands including many canadian artists. They also have an original cd out <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jeremyhoyle.com">www.jeremyhoyle.com</a><!-- w --> . Its good check it out. The boys are doin quite well for themselves, opening for 54-40, blue rodeo, the watchmen and 10,000 Maniacs.
Reply
#35

If I remember correctly, Road Apples broke up or something. Weren't they based out of Halifax? Anyway, it was back when I lived in Halifax that I vaguely remember reading something about their "last show" or whatnot.......
Reply
#36

patiodweller Wrote:I've seen them all and the best HIP cover band ever: Road Apples hands down. Lead singer Mike Campeau sounds exactly like Gord and doesn't try to be Gord. Worst ever: Wheat Kings hands down (Saw them at a bar in Perth called Fiddlehead's once and they sucked almost as bad as the bar itslelf). QUESTION: What ever happened to the Road Apples?? They used to play eastern Ontario all the time and they've dissapeared off the face of the planet for the last 4 years it seems. WHY Sad

I have to agree with you completely on this...Road Apples are by far the best hip cover band the Hip have- imo. They have not broken up. Last year they played every stat holiday weekend at Aj's. Mike Compeau is the head pro and general manager at Loyalist Golf and Country Club in Bath, so i think that keeps him pretty busy (through the summers at least).

Last couple times I watched them play Johnny Fay was in the crowd.

Joe.
Reply
#37

I saw Road Apples back in 97-98 in Nova Scotia. From what I remember they did a great job and the crowd was really into it. Until they decided to do a couple of their own songs at the end. That killed the energy. But I think they actually did really well for a while, they even got to tour a bit. It was good to see the lead singer not try to be gord downie, cause no one can pull that off. I checked out the other band's websites, they all had a bald lead singer which I thought was kind of funny. I don't think its too important to look like the hip too. Just try to sound like them.
Reply
#38

The Road Apples are from Kingston (their own band at one point anyway, was called Vagabond Groove, they had a CD out back in '95 that got some air time on Kingston, Brockville, Ottawa stations anyway, with the single "Denile" I think). The lead guitarist's name is Robert and used to look like Bobby Baker but he cut his hair short last I saw.
Reply
#39

Jeremy from strictly hip is just folically challenged. He's not trying to look like Gord.

canes67 Wrote:I saw Road Apples back in 97-98 in Nova Scotia. From what I remember they did a great job and the crowd was really into it. Until they decided to do a couple of their own songs at the end. That killed the energy. But I think they actually did really well for a while, they even got to tour a bit. It was good to see the lead singer not try to be gord downie, cause no one can pull that off. I checked out the other band's websites, they all had a bald lead singer which I thought was kind of funny. I don't think its too important to look like the hip too. Just try to sound like them.
Reply
#40

I'm going to go way back to the first post of this topic by "bootlegger420". I saw the Radically Hip a few times back in 1999 or 2000. They were playing at the Pump in Regina (is that what was meant by Hicksville?). They were a 4 piece band and they did a great job on just about all of the tunes they played, the lead singer was having a few shooters with the crowd and as the night went on , he was a little more animated, and even went into some Gord-style rants. The other thing that was cool, was you got to see a live version of 38 Years Old, and probably a few other songs that I've never seen the Hip perform.
I ended up talking to one of the guys in the band and discovered that they were actually moonlighting from their regular band, Adam's Rib, who just happened to be playing at the Pump the next night. I did see them a couple more times in Regina, but I'm thinking that they didn't carry on with the cover band too much longer. I did check out Adam's Rib around that time as well, and they were a pretty good live band. Some great covers and some good original material.
Fast forward about 3 years and by this time I had forgotten the name Adam's Rib, and hadn't heard of the Radically Hip in a long time either...I'm at a bar called Bart's on Broad, pretty good 4 piece band, with a chick on keyboards, and they're doing some great cover tunes...as they go to break the singer says "we are Adam's Rib, be right back"...I did a double take and realized it was the same guy who was Gording it up on stage a few years earlier...I talked to the keyboard gal for a second and she confirmed it was the same guy...not sure if the other band members were new or what...but she commented that a girl on keyboards didn't really fit in with a Hip cover band, so I guess that means the Radically Hip had died.

Anyway's, the singers name is Derek Lathrop, and he puts on a good show. Apparently Adam's Rib is still going...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.adamsrib.ca/">http://www.adamsrib.ca/</a><!-- m -->

Have a good Christmas all.

Jay
Reply
#41

Is it really world famous!? Hehe... I live in Bradford, and I saw the Practically Hip play there Oct 1 this year.. They put on a really good show, I was impressed, and they even threw in a few songs by other bands... They played Killing in the name of, by Rage..
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)