Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

The Who VH1 Rock Honours
#16

cochise Wrote:I forgot to ask.........did anyone else find it a little ironic when Sean Penn was up there talking about how The Who never sold out.....................just before they came out and performed their "CSI" medley??........ Confusedcratch: Confusedcratch:

Ugh, I thought this was gonna get brought up sooner or later. How does a band giving their song to a mediocre television show (And let's just wonder for a second how much control they actually have over that song these days) constitute these legends as sell-outs? Now, if Gary Sinise introduced them, Marg Helgenberger danced go-go in the background and the band wore CBS t'shirts, well, that might be considered a little whore-ish.

But the reality is that when you have songs like "Baba O'Riley" and "Who You Are" that have sort of eclipsed the rock and roll canon, they start to become appealing to more people than just salty, haggard old rock fans. And smart people recognize this, and no one's gonna deny that Roger and Pete are smart dudes. I still don't think they had much say over whether or not it made it in the show, but if they did, I'm reminded of a line from "SLC Punk":

"I didn't sell out son, I bought in."

Pete: "So let me get this straight. You get t'use my catchy songs, which only one band has covered well anyway, in the opening credits of your show, and everytime the show airs, my children's grandchildren have a better chance of going to a better university? And I don't have t'sponsor you in any way? I'll drink t'that."

I see no irony there...

Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Reply
#17

the fact that EVERY other commercial on TV these days features a Who song..that's selling out..
Reply
#18

opiated Wrote:the fact that EVERY other commercial on TV these days features a Who song..that's selling out..

Dude, you missed my point.

Here's one for you though..."My Generation," The Who's debut was released in 1965. While I can't be totally sure, I'm going to assume you weren't alive at that point. I mean, you, or I, or most people who critique The Who today have no idea what their real motives were. We only have t'go on what kind of band people tell us they were. Maybe it was their original intentions t'do this all along? Are they still sell-outs? We shouldn't be ragging on something we really have no right to.

And why aren't we talking about Sean Penn's assumption that Pearl Jam hasn't sold out either? Of course yer thinking, Pearl Jam certainly has NOT sold out. But "Yellow Ledbetter" was played near the end of the series finale of Friends. The amount of people that watched that episode is likely more than the amount of people who take in an entire year of CSI plus "EVERY other commercial on TV these days," whatever that is. But no one would dare call Pearl Jam sell-outs, right?

Like I said, Pearl Jam, The Who, they didn't sell out, they bought in. And it's really no skin off their back. And their families are going to be taken care of for a long, long time. Nothing un-cool about that.

Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Reply
#19

The Heron Outside Wrote:
opiated Wrote:the fact that EVERY other commercial on TV these days features a Who song..that's selling out..

Dude, you missed my point.

Here's one for you though..."My Generation," The Who's debut was released in 1965. While I can't be totally sure, I'm going to assume you weren't alive at that point. I mean, you, or I, or most people who critique The Who today have no idea what their real motives were. We only have t'go on what kind of band people tell us they were. Maybe it was their original intentions t'do this all along? Are they still sell-outs? We shouldn't be ragging on something we really have no right to.

And why aren't we talking about Sean Penn's assumption that Pearl Jam hasn't sold out either? Of course yer thinking, Pearl Jam certainly has NOT sold out. But "Yellow Ledbetter" was played near the end of the series finale of Friends. The amount of people that watched that episode is likely more than the amount of people who take in an entire year of CSI plus "EVERY other commercial on TV these days," whatever that is. But no one would dare call Pearl Jam sell-outs, right?

Like I said, Pearl Jam, The Who, they didn't sell out, they bought in. And it's really no skin off their back. And their families are going to be taken care of for a long, long time. Nothing un-cool about that.

I think not. :rambo:

I don't really know what "selling out" means, but I completely understand the point cochise was making.
Reply
#20

tigerthelion Wrote:
The Heron Outside Wrote:
opiated Wrote:the fact that EVERY other commercial on TV these days features a Who song..that's selling out..

Dude, you missed my point.

Here's one for you though..."My Generation," The Who's debut was released in 1965. While I can't be totally sure, I'm going to assume you weren't alive at that point. I mean, you, or I, or most people who critique The Who today have no idea what their real motives were. We only have t'go on what kind of band people tell us they were. Maybe it was their original intentions t'do this all along? Are they still sell-outs? We shouldn't be ragging on something we really have no right to.

And why aren't we talking about Sean Penn's assumption that Pearl Jam hasn't sold out either? Of course yer thinking, Pearl Jam certainly has NOT sold out. But "Yellow Ledbetter" was played near the end of the series finale of Friends. The amount of people that watched that episode is likely more than the amount of people who take in an entire year of CSI plus "EVERY other commercial on TV these days," whatever that is. But no one would dare call Pearl Jam sell-outs, right?

Like I said, Pearl Jam, The Who, they didn't sell out, they bought in. And it's really no skin off their back. And their families are going to be taken care of for a long, long time. Nothing un-cool about that.

I think not. :rambo:

I don't really know what "selling out" means, but I completely understand the point cochise was making.

Yeah, I don't really know what the whole "Theory of Relativity" thing means either, but I totally dig what that Einstein dude was saying.

Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Reply
#21

FUCKING BABY BOOMERS!

Hippiecrites!
Reply
#22

The Heron Outside Wrote:Yeah, I don't really know what the whole "Theory of Relativity" thing means either, but I totally dig what that Einstein dude was saying.
Nice. Now go look up the numbers of viewers that the CSI franchise brings in per season and compare it to the number of viewers for the last episode of Friends. :rambo:

I mean, does the term "sellout" actually mean something? Does it mean anything to you? It means something to Penn. If it has no meaning to him, then why would he go out of his way to claim that neither PJ or The Who are sellouts? Obviously, Penn thinks that not being a sellout is a good thing, so he must think that being a sellout is a bad thing. So, basically, Penn must have his own definition of the term "sellout". It's kind of ironic that if he believes that there are indeed sellouts, he thinks The Who don't fit the bill as being such. If The Who aren't sellouts, then who is a sellout? If Penn thinks bands should keep their integrity and not sell their music for any and all monetary reasons, then how are The Who not sellouts? IT IS IRONIC because Penn himself believes in the term "sellout."
Reply
#23

tigerthelion Wrote:
The Heron Outside Wrote:Yeah, I don't really know what the whole "Theory of Relativity" thing means either, but I totally dig what that Einstein dude was saying.
Nice. Now go look up the numbers of viewers that the CSI franchise brings in per season and compare it to the number of viewers for the last episode of Friends. :rambo:

I mean, does the term "sellout" actually mean something? Does it mean anything to you? It means something to Penn. If it has no meaning to him, then why would he go out of his way to claim that neither PJ or The Who are sellouts? Obviously, Penn thinks that not being a sellout is a good thing, so he must think that being a sellout is a bad thing. So, basically, Penn must have his own definition of the term "sellout". It's kind of ironic that if he believes that there are indeed sellouts, he thinks The Who don't fit the bill as being such. If The Who aren't sellouts, then who is a sellout? If Penn thinks bands should keep their integrity and not sell their music for any and all monetary reasons, then how are The Who not sellouts? IT IS IRONIC because Penn himself believes in the term "sellout."

Alright dude, whatever. My last post was just a joke, and then you used the word "Sellout" 10 times in yer last post and I realized I didn't give a shit anymore.

Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)