Posts: 1,374
Threads: 101
Joined: Mar 2005
Reputation:
0
Well i suppose the time has come that i should start looking at laptops for university next year. Anyways im at a loss of what to do expecially since the beginning of all of this "Vista" bussiness. I was talking to some people last night who were telling me that Vista has software in it that without the users choice or notification searches and destroys any pirated software in the hard drive. That could be bad news for the likes of me. I was then told to check out imacs as apparantley they are user friendly and extremely versitile (compared to windows OS). Any comments or helpful pushes in the right direction would be appreciated.
Posts: 1,374
Threads: 101
Joined: Mar 2005
Reputation:
0
many isnt really a big issue because of scholarships trust fund etc. but Im taking either chemical engineering or cell and molecular biology. Basically wherever I end up itll be science. Not really sure what programs ill be running as of yet however i know id like something easy to use, and that can handle both recording and playing music files because thats about all I do other then the usuall browsing of the web and conversing over MSN.
Posts: 377
Threads: 6
Joined: Dec 2004
Reputation:
0
Hey Chris, since you're the mac/multimedia expert around here... and since so far, I'm thinking Mac, here's what I need to do. I currently run a similar setup on a P4 2.6GHZ with 1GB ram, 833MHz FSB, 80GB HDD, Audigy2 Audio, and onboard (!) video. But, wow is it slow, and wow does it crash often these days. I can't afford any real down time, so ....
1. I would like to run pro audio software... like logic. Also, I would like to be able to hook it up to my current studio setup using midi, but even further, I'd love it if it were PORTABLE as well (if this setup is even plausible).
2. I need a program that will convert all sorts of multimedia file formats. for example, from .rm to h264, from .avi to .mpg, from .mp3 to .aac, from .vob to .mov, etc. My machine now can do it with the software I have, but boy is it hard on the machine.
3. DVD Authoring / Burning. I like making fancy DVD's! All the software for Windows shits the bed when it comes to nice menus and graphics, and even encoding video takes FOREVER.
4. The standard computer stuff that will work on every computer.
Oh yeah, and 1-3TB of HDD space (internal+external).
My budget at retail is in the $2200 - $2500 range without peripherals, but I can get a certain discount through my work.
So, what does thou recommend? And can it be done in a notebook?
Posts: 1,772
Threads: 17
Joined: Sep 2003
Reputation:
0
Look at you go with all the good advice! Nice job!
(and you are getting dangerously close that that 5K post mark!)
t.