Posts: 2,672
Threads: 57
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
My name is Jeff and I haven't hated Tiger The Lion in more than a week.
M@W had been on the shelf for some time and I decided to whip it out the other day and pop it in the old car CD player. I used to say that Tiger was the worst Hip song, far and away.
I now consider myself to be a convert. This song absolutely rocks. It is great, grinding rock and Robby's solo is solid.
Any other converts out there?
Jeff
June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Posts: 85
Threads: 6
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
Always liked it but thought Johnny should have gave 'er a bit more on the drums...which he does now during live shows. Great version of it on the Best of 2006 compilation.
Posts: 1,016
Threads: 43
Joined: Jun 2006
Reputation:
0
Me....I'm a convert. I used to skip over this one all the time. Then I heard it at the Phoenix in October and gained a whole new respect for it. Its certainly different when you hear/experience what goes into a song. TTL has moved up way up my playlist.
Posts: 7,289
Threads: 811
Joined: Apr 2005
Reputation:
0
For me, its the cello.
I have a biassed opinion, as my old babysitter is the cellist on Tiger The Lion and Toronto #4 though haha.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Posts: 596
Threads: 18
Joined: Oct 2006
Reputation:
0
Always loved that tune and thought it was one of the best on M@W. I think it's one of the best hip songs out there and wish they would play it more. I've only heard it live once.
Posts: 95
Threads: 10
Joined: Oct 2006
Reputation:
0
took me a few listens of the CD when I first got it but Tiger and Wild Mountain Honey became quick favorites of the non radio singles
Posts: 128
Threads: 3
Joined: Oct 2004
Reputation:
0
I kinda felt that way about the entire M@W album. But now, I start at track 2 and go straight through every time. It's a top 3 album for me? Apart from the single M@W, it sounds unlike most anything I have ever heard - especially the stuff that was coming out around the time M@W came out.
Posts: 596
Threads: 16
Joined: Oct 2004
Reputation:
0
First time I heard it I thought it was one of their best for the oddness of it. Love the song
Posts: 282
Threads: 11
Joined: Feb 2006
Reputation:
0
i love this song, i just hate how gord's voice sounds on it. I dunno, something aboyut it just seems forced and annoying
Posts: 63
Threads: 0
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
tiger the lion stands out as just one more piece of the intricate puzzle,the tragically hip have created...this is the sound of a band not afraid to tinker with formula...more and more i'm impressed w/ rob baker as the not so secret weapon of this band, for a pink floyd fan like myself, Rob's arching,fluid and soaring guitar lead on this one burns the house down ..only complaint,,the songs too short.
Posts: 139
Threads: 0
Joined: Jan 2006
Reputation:
0
I loved this one from the get-go. As an added bonus, about the time it came out my dog got a new stuffedtoy and my wife thought it was a tiger, my daughter thought it was a lion, so of course, I named the toy Tiger the Lion and it stuck. Darn dog can fetch it out of a bucket of toys...lol
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
Posts: 3,394
Threads: 118
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
Interesting that lately there seems to be a lot more love for M@W around here - an album I've long maintained is one of my top 3 Hip albums. Does this mean we should refer to it as the Hip's Pinkerton, or do we refer to Pinkerton as Weezer's Music @ Work?
Posts: 5,352
Threads: 277
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
I really enjoyed it live more than the album. I wasn't too hot for it when I first heard it but it grew on me.
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Posts: 49
Threads: 4
Joined: Sep 2005
Reputation:
0
I love Pinkerton, and I love M@W, but M@W doesn't come close to touching the greatness that is Pinkerton. Overall, I like the Hip a LOT more than Weezer, but in my eyes Pinkerton is a perfect album.
On topic though, TTL is definitely my favourite song onM@W, and one of my favourite Hip songs in general. I hope to see it live at Copps on the 6th!