Last night’s show was a real treat for me. I’d had great seats all week, but last night’s front row centre seats could not be beat! It certainly changes the way you experience a show, with a totally unobstructed view and basically oblivious to anything happening off of the stage.
It seemed that Gord was not impressed with the crowd, especially a large majority of the fans in the stands who were sitting on their hands for almost the entire night. I wouldn’t have known anything about the crowd, other than the people directly around me, if he wasn’t doing things to point it out during the night. It started off near the beginning with Gord simply mocking the fans in the stands. He climbed way out to the side of the stage and sat down, leaned back, crossed his legs, and copied their bored, uninterested reactions. However, by the end of the night, the fact that a great show and his own really energetic antics throughout the night had not brought the crowd to it’s feet seemed to truly aggravate him. After one of the really rocking song, maybe Locked, he mockingly blew a kiss towards the seated masses in the stands, but when 50 Mission Cap failed to do the trick he seemed to be at a total loss. During Fire In The Hole he spotted 4 guys, to my left and probably about 4th row who were really into it and jumping up and down. He pointed them out to the crowd, and said something along the line of those 4 guys having pride in their community. He must have been thinking that if the rest of Sudbury couldn’t get out of their seats for high energy songs about hockey and mining, then screw them!
From where I was standing all was great though! Gord stepped out onto a subwoofer right in front of us during one of the first couple of songs. He was pretending to slip and slide off of it while he was there. The really funny thing was that 2 crew guys came running out with cinder blocks during the next song to brace the thing in case he did it again. I guess it must have been pretty close to rolling away! It’s neat to see stuff like that, I probably would never have noticed it sitting anywhere else.
During the previous 3 shows (at least) Family Band has been played in the encore. I was a little surprised to hear it so early last night, but it’s such a great song that it can easily fit anywhere. I love hearing any/all of the newest stuff at a show. I’ve always got a fear that by the next time I see them it may have become a forgotten rarity and I’ll never witness it again. Missing the club shows means that I may never see some of WC played live, but I was glad to take what I could get this week.
Putting Down and Something On were real treats for me. Without checking, I’d guess that they haven’t been played much this year, and they were certainly a change from the last 3 shows. That alone was enough to make them special during my last show of the tour. The Dire Wolf is one of my absolute favourites, and I was so pleased to be hearing, again after going 3 shows without. I probably bruised my wife pretty well by jabbing her excitedly with my elbow when the song started up!
At The Hundredth Meridian was priceless again! Gord started his mid-song antics by throwing his stand up into the air and letting it crash onto the stage. He came perilously close to impaling one of his own monitors with it, just a few feet directly in front of me. After destroying the mic stand he unscrewed it from the base, and tried to dismantle it into 2 parts to hand out to the crowd. He couldn’t get it apart though! He ended up going to the side of the stage to get Billy Ray to help him take it apart! Once it was in 2 pieces he began skipping around the stage spinning one half like a baton. It was a truly marvellous display, Gord would have made a killer cheerleader! After failing at his best attempts to get the fans in the stands on their feet, he returned to centre stage and sank back onto his new mic stand, laying back and covering his face with a handkerchief again. Meanwhile, the rest of the band’s jam had reverted into a Police, Walking On The Moon riff. While practically laying on the ground, Gord started singing what he could remember of the lyrics. When he finally got up again, he did another Peter Frampton’s guitar imitation, which is really funny. “Do you feel, like we do?”
If was just after Meridian that I realized I hadn’t started my recording device, and hadn’t captured any audio since The Hip had started. What a dolt! I had been pulling the thing out of my pocket at least once every song to check the input levels, but never realized that I had it in recording stand-by mode, but had never hit record a second time! Dreyfuss had be so kind as to bring me a set of mics and a battery box to try out with my new recording device, but I’d already missed over half of the show! I was so disappointed. That’s when 38 Years Old started.
I couldn’t believe it. I’d sold my Fort York #2 tickets because that day ended up being the only time we could get our youngest Baptised during the summer, when our families would be able to come up to Sudbury. I’d been vacationing in Ireland when the club tour was announced and tickets were sold. It was definitely a song I was hoping to hear this tour, but when it started, I was so dejected from the failed recording attempt, that I couldn’t even enjoy it! Well, not for a minute anyway. I soon recovered, and am very glad to have heard 38 and Fiddler’s Green this past week. What a treat!
Locked was another tour first. Such an intense song, and Gord was right into it. He ended up crouching behind something, speakers presumably, at the side of the stage and banging his mic against the side, and screaming “Let me out!” 50 Mission Cap was unexpected and high-energy fantastic! After the “won the Leafs the cup” line, Gord hoisted his mic stand over his head and then gave it a big kiss, as if it were Lord Stanley’s ol’ mug itself! Fire In The Hole was as intense as ever, and I agree with Gord, if the fans hadn’t succumb by that point, damn them all. The fans who were into it were up and moving, and that’s who it’s really for isn’t it? After the song, Gord thanked the music lovers as always, pointing out into the crowd saying “it’s you, and you, and you…” He pointed up into the stands, but then shook his head, and carried on pointing out the fans on the floor. As Albert King used to say: “If you don’t dig this, you got a hole in your soul!”
Sudbury Saturday Night was a blast! Of course there had been talk of this being the cover for last night, but I never in a million years believed it. I had said to someone earlier in the week that I doubted they’d play it, but that the crowd would erupt if they did. With the lighting as it was, it was hard for me to tell, but I kept looking, and I believe the arena was actually standing for that! Truth be told, it was probably not the best version ever performed, but was it ever fun! Gord had trouble with lyrics, and although Kathleen was reading right off of a sheet, it was hard to understand what she was singing. Paul was the only true professional during the whole thing! Everyone on stage was having a great time, dancing around, clapping and stomping their feet, and the audience around me was eating it right up!
Verge and Blow got me wound up into a predictable frenzy, that kind that makes it impossible to fall asleep before 3:00 AM! That’s the “worst” part about a Hip show, the afterglow! My smile is so big for hours afterwards that I’m half blinded by the glowing joy that’s shooting out from inside of my body somewhere! To make matters worse I was out of the traditional ice cold beer to settle my torn and frayed nerves, but I have now discovered that Irish Whiskey, although not as refreshing as a cold drink over blown vocal chords, does a great job of settling the awoken beast within!
It’s been a slice. Many thanks again to markslog, bornalion and Dreyfuss, not only for your assistance, help, advice and borrowed gear, but for some very welcome company on the road. It was also great to see chris and Man-Sized Eldorado at Barrie #1 again, and to meet daaave before Barrie #2. Am I forgetting anyone? Cheerio for now!