Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Question about HIP vinyl (a general LP discussion thread)
#1

Here's a question for all you vinyl collectors out there.
What is the difference between this version of the EP

[Image: ep-cover.jpg]

and this one?

[Image: f7_1.jpg]

I own a copy of the first one pictured, but the second one looks so much cooler!
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply
#2

I've got the bottom one, not sure what the diff is?besides the overall look of the 2, maybe yours was made in the U.S.? pretty sure mine was made in Canada...

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#3

I think that the EP was released by the band - on the BMG label - in a limited release.
Then when they signed with MCA it was re-released on that label in a less-limited pressing.

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Reply
#4

One thing I've always wondered:
Why is 'All Canadian Surf Club' considered a "CD Bonus"? Is it not on the vinyl or cassettes?

2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Reply
#5

Tthip Wrote:I think that the EP was released by the band - on the BMG label - in a limited release.
Then when they signed with MCA it was re-released on that label in a less-limited pressing.

Ya, thats the 1 I got, the BMG label....

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#6

sean.bonner Wrote:One thing I've always wondered:
Why is 'All Canadian Surf Club' considered a "CD Bonus"? Is it not on the vinyl or cassettes?
Surf Club was not included on at least one of the releases of the EP - not sure which one though.

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Reply
#7

sean.bonner Wrote:One thing I've always wondered:
Why is 'All Canadian Surf Club' considered a "CD Bonus"? Is it not on the vinyl or cassettes?

I think you answered your own question Smile

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#8

Tthip Wrote:
sean.bonner Wrote:One thing I've always wondered:
Why is 'All Canadian Surf Club' considered a "CD Bonus"? Is it not on the vinyl or cassettes?
Surf Club was not included on at least one of the releases of the EP - not sure which one though.

mine doesn't have A.C.S.C., the MCA prawly has it, I guess....

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#9

Summiteer Wrote:I've got the bottom one, not sure what the diff is?besides the overall look of the 2, maybe yours was made in the U.S.? pretty sure mine was made in Canada...
I'll check when I get home where mine was printed, but I'm pretty sure it's Canadian (I bought it at a record expo at Carleton U in Ottawa a few years back). I was thinking one would have been an original first pressing and the other would be a re-issue of some sort.
I'll let you know what I find out when I get home.
Reply
#10

Tthip Wrote:I think that the EP was released by the band - on the BMG label - in a limited release.
Then when they signed with MCA it was re-released on that label in a less-limited pressing.
This makes sense, thanks for the info.
Looks like I've got another vinyl to add to my 'want' list.
Reply
#11

the Doctorb Wrote:
Summiteer Wrote:I've got the bottom one, not sure what the diff is?besides the overall look of the 2, maybe yours was made in the U.S.? pretty sure mine was made in Canada...
I'll check when I get home where mine was printed, but I'm pretty sure it's Canadian (I bought it at a record expo at Carleton U in Ottawa a few years back). I was thinking one would have been an original first pressing and the other would be a re-issue of some sort.
I'll let you know what I find out when I get home.

I think thats what Dana was alluding to that the top pic is the re-issue and the BMG is the original, I'm starting to think that either release was not made in the U.S.,well the 1st for sure.the 2nd printing was just more blue period, as Gord calls it..., but ya, let us know...

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#12

the Doctorb Wrote:Here's a question for all you vinyl collectors out there.
What is the difference between this version of the EP

[Image: ep-cover.jpg]

and this one?

[Image: f7_1.jpg]

I own a copy of the first one pictured, but the second one looks so much cooler!
Any information is greatly appreciated.

The top is the MCA re-release and the bottom is the black label (there is also an orange label pressing) original RCA pressing. There were Canadian and US pressings of both the RCA and MCA.

"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
Reply
#13

I've got the orange label, woo hoo, I think....

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#14

I've got the three EP's discussed (the black and orange label BMG, and the later MCA pressing), and ACSF isn't on any release.

There are three different cassettes that I have as well:
1) the original BMG tape (with the "cooler" cover, KZK1-0590)
2) the later MCA tape (with the 2nd cover, MCAC-37330)
3) an "in-between" version, 2nd cover, MCAC-37330, but on the back it says "Mfd. for BMG Direct Ltd. under license")
Likewise, ACSF isn't on any of these.

Question: the two different vinyl BMG's I have both have the lyrics. The MCA vinyl I have (and all the MCA's I've seen) do not have the lyrics. Did MCA release any with the lyrics?

J.
Reply
#15

The EP released by MCA on CD is the only one with Surf Club on it.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)