Posts: 1,708
Threads: 100
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
In order to get a virus through bitTorrent, somebody would have to post the malicious file on a tracker. For the most part, there are usually forums associated with trackers, meaning that if somebody posts a program with a virus, somebody else is going to report it. It's not that it doesn't happen, you just need to check out what you're downloading.
When it comes to something like the hipTracker, all the shows are from well known sources, and I'd hate to think that anybody here (except maybe foats) would purposely try to upload something malicious. Even so, it would be extremely hard, since only music files and video files are allowed (ie. no archived files -.zip/.rar etc., and no .exe.)
I've been using bitTorrent for about 2 years now, and never had a virus.
Posts: 276
Threads: 20
Joined: Feb 2006
Reputation:
0
The only problem I have with BT is when Azureus is open it slows the crap out of my windows 98
Posts: 7,289
Threads: 811
Joined: Apr 2005
Reputation:
0
The network at my university is cracking down on torrents. I am terrified that I won't be able to download any of the Summer Fling DVDs... and my beloved Charlottetown show
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Posts: 276
Threads: 20
Joined: Feb 2006
Reputation:
0
What do they have against BT?
Posts: 7,289
Threads: 811
Joined: Apr 2005
Reputation:
0
I don't know... its a real piss off when what I'm doing is completely legal.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Posts: 7,289
Threads: 811
Joined: Apr 2005
Reputation:
0
Zenith Wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone.
They've been very helpful. I never had any doubt that the HipTracker would be safe - but the reassurance is always good.
I assume that no one has ever had any problems with things like dimeadozen.org either then?
Oh, I meant to put in my orginal post: What about things like Limewire? Has anyone had any bad experiences using filesharing programs like that?
Thanks again. 
Limewire isn't
that bad, but you still have to be cautious. Now, with Kazaa... stay clear!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Posts: 1,166
Threads: 38
Joined: Aug 2006
Reputation:
0
new to the torrent, so I have a few questions - simple stuff...
what is the best client to use for downloading torrents
what do most folks on HB use , considering ease of use – and compatibility with XP….