Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Silly argument or reel newz? The choice is yurz
#1

I came across this article on MSNBC's website. Being an English nerd (with limited spelling and proofreading capabilities :winkSmile, I found it to be of interest. Any thoughts?

-Jenna
Reply
#2

"Thae sae th bee selebraets th ability of a fue stoodents to master a dificult sistem that stumps meny utherz hoo cuud do just as wel if speling were simpler."

That took me about 10 minutes to decipher. Couldn't the same be said for medical or law school? "Meny utherz" could be doctors if the process was easier! I know that's stretching it a bit. I'd like to know if they are looking at this kind of spelling or the International Phonetic Alphabet.

Now i'm going to go claw out my eyeballs.
Reply
#3

An English teacher myself I really related to this article. I remember when I was student teaching and was given a handout to be passed out to the kids about their grammar review. When I went to copy it I found that "grammar" was spelled "grammer". I think this is a important word for an English teacher to spell right!
Reply
#4

that means Americans would spell it "ruuf" and "carmel"
and Canadians would spell it "roof" and "caramel"
Reply
#5

barrybre17 Wrote:An English teacher myself I really related to this article. I remember when I was student teaching and was given a handout to be passed out to the kids about their grammar review. When I went to copy it I found that "grammar" was spelled "grammer". I think this is a important word for an English teacher to spell right!
An important word... Tongue

:lol:
Reply
#6

That is the problem with phonetics, where accents have an impact on the sound of a word, which would in turn have an effect on the spelling of that word.

You just need to listen to the difference between locals to me (Geordies) and people about 15 miles down the road (Makems) Where we say rowp, they say rowap.
I had a Makem repeat that word 5 times and still couldn't get it, and needed some use of mime to understand her!

Those of you in London tomorrow, listen to the difference between me, Andy, and the locals, and you will see the potential for problems

D (Still happy with my u in colour)

Still picking up the elderly from the floor, still dealing with the drunks, now wrestling seals and posting it on twitter.. @richardilderton
'Whoops' is not a word the patient wants to hear...apparently
Reply
#7

Imagine the difficulty illiterates in Birmingham, AL, would have with phonetic spelling developed for illiterates in Birmingham, West Midlands.... Smile

All the power and grace of the language is in its written form. Spelling is meaning. It carries etymology. "Night" and "nite" are the same word, spelled differently, but the two spellings have different connotations.

Literacy is about coming to understand language. It doesn't make much sense to take the meaning out of language to make it easier.

It must be Be Kind to Fringe Lunatics Day at MSNBC.

Don't even get me started....
Reply
#8

But do you feel that society is pandering to the idiots?

I find the more things I see thorough my job, the more I realise that the people who actually bother themselves to get an education and a better job, or make some sort of positive impact on their society, get crapped on from a great height, while the morons take all they can for free, and get the most help.

This could just be another example of the stupid being pandered to, rather than a suggestion thet they work a bit at their spelling, and possibly should have turned up at school.

D
(although my spelling isn't perfect, as I prove over and over again)

Still picking up the elderly from the floor, still dealing with the drunks, now wrestling seals and posting it on twitter.. @richardilderton
'Whoops' is not a word the patient wants to hear...apparently
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)