Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
We are at a crossroads: continue limping along with the current software and all its inherent problems or install new software and potentially lose all of the existing data (users, torrents, comments, etc... everything).
Check out the new tracker at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bt.hipfans.com">http://bt.hipfans.com</a><!-- m -->
It is fully functional, (but not customized to The Hip) however when a decision is made to stay or switch, I will reset it and try to copy over the existing users and torrents.
Thoughts?
Posts: 6,734
Threads: 665
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
Is the old one broke or obsolete?
You said inherent problems - I have never really experienced any - but as administrator if you have problems - then the answer should not even be put up for debate.
I like the look of the new one though, and could care less about my user info.
But, if the old one works and there are not many complaints...
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
The old one is obsolete, and lately torrents have been randomly disappearing.
The new one is upgradable, and includes a lot more great features for users and administrators.
We are approaching the maximum number of users that we can reasonably support, and I would like to have better control over this... and a whole lot of other things.
But you are correct Dana, in that I should make the decision and drop the debate...
Posts: 1,079
Threads: 101
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
wow, that's a hard choice.
I say do it. You (we) did it once, you (we) can do it again.
Posts: 1,318
Threads: 110
Joined: Jan 2004
Reputation:
0
I say go for it. We'll never know for sure if we'll lose everything unless we try.
Cheers,
Pat
Posts: 2,255
Threads: 36
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
In the end, if it becomes easier for to to administrate the tracker with the new package, then you should do it, it might be a lot a work to convert it (might not, no idea on how these things work) but if we all benefit in the end its worth it
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
OK... thanks for the positive reinforcement! I'll get the wheels rolling on the move right away, and let everyone know when things are complete.
Thanks!
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bt.hipfans.com">http://bt.hipfans.com</a><!-- m -->
Go ahead and sign-up for the new tracker. It'll take a few days for me to get all of the customization done, but it is fully functional right now.
All donations and status details from the original tracker will be transferred to the new site.
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Joined: Jan 2006
Reputation:
0
Not sure if we are in the middle of transition or not, but i cannot recover my account or sign up for a new one (says i need an invite from existing member). I am still sharing all my torrents, and a bunch are uploading, not sure if they are linked to another site or not.
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
You will be able to continue sharing the torrents from the original tracker, but they will slowly die off.
The new site should be accessible right now, as I just changed a setting to allow registrations.
I will do my best to transfer everyone's upload/download data to the new site as long as they use the same username and email address.
If not, you will be reset to 0/0.
Posts: 431
Threads: 35
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
Looks great Chris! Thanks for the heads up. Always a good idea to stay up with the technology (usually) :lol:
Posts: 6,734
Threads: 665
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
"You've made a wise choice by joining us."
That is great Chris, Chris.
Signed up and it seems the site is running perfect.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Posts: 1,079
Threads: 101
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
Man, apple users are fast...
Posts: 431
Threads: 35
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
Chris,
Just a heads up, I'm getting this error in the shoutbox that was not there earlier:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/chris/public_html/bt/ttshout.php on line 92
I know you said there was tweaking involved, just wanted to keep you abreast of whats on my end.