Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Broken Social Scene slams music industry at Junos
#1

Apparently these remarks were made to a throng of reporters backstage at the Junos, and I completely agree with every word they said. Good on 'em!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/04/03/1518250-cp.html">http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/04/03/1518250-cp.html</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#2

Nice attempt at spin by Susanne Boyce. However, the majority of which she speaks aren't those that would bother to dissect the problems with Canadian music -- no, they're the demo that lusts after satellite radio while playing Xbox and drinking a coke or some such crap.

Oh well. Susanne Boyce FTW!
Reply
#3

"all represented by small, independently run labels, which Drew says take the time to foster talent." Although I do agree with him, he couldn't have been talking about himself because Broken Social Scene had by far the worst performance of the night, if that's any indication of their music I would rather listen to a Canadian Idol any day than that horribly out of key noise. If someone is going to bash something else at least have some credibility when doing it.
Reply
#4

emperor penguin Wrote:"all represented by small, independently run labels, which Drew says take the time to foster talent." Although I do agree with him, he couldn't have been talking about himself because Broken Social Scene had by far the worst performance of the night, if that's any indication of their music I would rather listen to a Canadian Idol any day than that horribly out of key noise. If someone is going to bash something else at least have some credibility when doing it.

I couldn't agree more...for 200 collective years of performing experience they really really SUCKED...If that's any indication of their talent I'm thinking my 27 years of shower singing experience should net me the opening slot at next years' Juno's...I'm actually quite good...and it's just me in there, no musical accompanyment.

RG
Reply
#5

robert goulet Wrote:...and it's just me in there, no musical accompanyment.
RG

Keep telling yourself that but I know you are playing a little banjo in there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply
#6

I recently started getting into them, because I really liked Stars and heard there was a few of the members from them in Broken Social Scene. While I didn't witness the Juno performances, I will say that I don't think their style really caters to live acts. Their collaboration of instruments is really unique and a couple of their songs just really hit.

With that said, we know that all indie bands are a bit too outspoken..
Reply
#7

emperor penguin Wrote:"all represented by small, independently run labels, which Drew says take the time to foster talent." Although I do agree with him, he couldn't have been talking about himself because Broken Social Scene had by far the worst performance of the night, if that's any indication of their music I would rather listen to a Canadian Idol any day than that horribly out of key noise. If someone is going to bash something else at least have some credibility when doing it.

I didn't see the Junos, but they must have had a bad night. I saw them here in Calgary on their last Canadian tour and I thought they were excellent, including the lead singer. They were also on Conan O'Brien recently, and the song they played, "7/4 (shoreline)" sounded amazing. Sometimes getting all those musicians on stage doesn't work that well, and obviously that's what happened at the Junos. But don't knock 'em till you hear more of their stuff. They're a pretty cool band.
Reply
#8

FighterAndLover Wrote:With that said, we know that all indie bands are a bit too outspoken..

With the amount of crap that's constantly being hurled at us by the the Canadian music industry, I don't think people are being outspoken ENOUGH. Broken Social Scene are dead on with their statements. When Nickelcrap and the Canadian Idol douchebags receive a gazillion Juno nominations, it's obvious that things need to change. The industry should be ashamed of themselves.
Reply
#9

Don't forget that the Junos now have "alternative" categories. As I pointed out before, what this does is to permanently put "alternative" music in a separate category, so that commercial pop still rules the roost.

The Junos exist for bands like Nickelback and for Canadian Idols. The purpose of awards like this is to hype commercially successful bands. Nominations are based on record sales. The awards and nominations go to acts that the industry wants to promote. They are awards for making money, and the purpose of handing them out is to make more money.

The reason an alternative category was created was to allow the industry to recognize music that music fans like, without pushing people with lower sales -- the people they don't want to promote -- into the limelight. They've created a permanent second prize for bands like Broken Social Scene.
Reply
#10

skippy the wonder dog Wrote:The reason an alternative category was created was to allow the industry to recognize music that music fans like, without pushing people with lower sales -- the people they don't want to promote -- into the limelight. They've created a permanent second prize for bands like Broken Social Scene.

Mark this as the first time I completely, unequivocally, and without reserve agree with Skippy the Wonder Dog.

:jump
Reply
#11

well said skippy
Reply
#12

oh well, at least those, shall we say, "lesser" (yeah that's an ugly not the right word but w/e) bands will get some Junos...rather than have no Junos passed their way at all...


the glass is half full people...HALF FULL (of shit Wink!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)