Posts: 49
Threads: 7
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
How do you all feel about having the weakerthans opening for the hip on this years tour. I did some downloading of the weakerthans music when Gord first quoted their lyrics in one of the hips shows singing "I`m leaning on this broken fence between past and present tense" and their music really grew on me. I think they have a lot in common with the hip musically.....anyway i`m lookin forward to the fort york show and the Guelph (my hometown) show as well. and i hope to see you all there.......Cheers Tiny
Posts: 2,672
Threads: 57
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
The Sadies make me a little uneasy, but The Weakerthans are a more than fitting opener. They're awesome.
Jeff
June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Posts: 826
Threads: 75
Joined: Jun 2003
Reputation:
0
I am really excited to see the Weakerthans. They are a band I have been wanting to see for a long time, so it will be great to see them with the hip. They have a lot of great material!
Posts: 172
Threads: 0
Joined: Nov 2004
Reputation:
0
The Weakerthans really aren't that similar to the hip musically, but lyrically they both share the same kind of intelligent lyrics.
I'm really looking forward to seeing them. When I heard they were opening I went and got their album. I also got The Sadies album. It's good, but not as good as The Weakerthans.
Posts: 3,777
Threads: 62
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
I think you'll find that the majority of people here would probably have The Weakerthans in their top three most wanted Hip openers. :thumb: A Weakerthans/Hip summer tour would certainly be rejoiced if it were to happen. It would make for a hell of a tour.
Posts: 136
Threads: 11
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
I couldn't be happier with the greatest band around opening for them....I love the Sadies more than anything. Should be pretty sweet with them.
The Weakerthans sound pretty cool too, from what i've heard.
Posts: 104
Threads: 24
Joined: Mar 2005
Reputation:
0
not that big of a fan of The Weakerthans, but the Sadies blow my mind. They're one of my favorite live acts right now.
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Joined: Feb 2006
Reputation:
0
I'm a big fan of the Weakerthans, and I think that they do share certain characteristics with the Hip. They both have some personal lyrics that are so well written that every listener can relate to them. I'm stoked for the tour, and will have to check out the Sadies, as the general consensus seems to be that they aren't bad.
Posts: 1,933
Threads: 100
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
Any chance that one of the openers will be playing fiddlers green? that would be sweet.