Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

The Hip are truly "timeless"
#1

The following are the top 10 pop songs from 1989:

1. Look Away, Chicago
2. My Prerogative, Bobby Brown
3. Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Poison
4. Straight Up, Paula Abdul
5. Miss You Much, Janet Jackson
6. Cold Hearted, Paula Abdul
7. Wind Beneath My Wings, Bette Midler
8. Girl You Know Its True, Milli Vanilli
9. Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird, Will To Power
10. Giving You The Best That I Got, Anita Baker

When I hear these songs I think of the cheesey '80's and these are almost considered oldies for people in their early 30's, if not from a long ago era.

But when I hear:

Blow at high Dough
New Orleans is Sinking
38 Years Old

which were also recorded in 1989, they seem current and 80's music is the farthest think from my mind.

Just an opinion.

11/26/96 Buffalo
8/7/98 Wattsburg, PA
7/29/00 Darien, NY
8/1/02 Toronto
9/1/02 Darien, NY
7/28/04 Darien, NY
6/17/06 Lewiston, NY
10/25/06 Toronto
3/10/07 Buffalo
6/30/07 Lewiston, NY
7/1/07 Lewiston, NY
11/2/07 Rochester
6/4/09 Lewiston, NY
7/1/11 Toronto
7/30/11 Buffalo
6/30/12 Niagara-on-the-Lake
11/2/12 Cleveland
8/2/13 Buffalo
4/8/15 Buffalo
8/14/16 Toronto
Reply
#2

I like your opinion. :thumb: To last for 20+ years and to be constantly putting out a record every two years like clockwork requires a band to make quality music. To still listen to UPH and RA and enjoy them every bit as when they came out shows true timeless art. Gord remembered to avoid trends and cliches and avoided trying to be up to date. 8)
Reply
#3

I definitely agree, Buffalo. It's not that these songs (from UTH and RA) don't show their age- they just aged really really well.
Reply
#4

I barely remember those songs on that list. And what I do remember makes me shudder, for those are really quite awful songs (forgettable, at best).

Just goes to show that anything, whether music or anything else, of true quality will last and be remembered forever, while passing fads may enjoy a moment in the sun but will be forgotten soon enough.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)