Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

It was 11 years ago today
#1

That I and 15000 (or so) other Hipheads were getting ready to see the Hip perform at Maple Leaf Gardens for the first time (as a headliner) also on that bill were The Odds and Change of Heart. Two things stand out from that night after all these years. 1) Gord's first line " What a dump" 2) 50 Mission Cap. Even though I hate the Leafs, to hear that song in that building with Barilko banner hanging high above. Anyone else with thoughts and memories from that faithful night. Big Grin
Reply
#2

I saw a hockey game there once. Wink
Reply
#3

That tour was 11 years ago??? God damn time flies by...I remember that tour because all of my friends ditched afternoon class in Grade 11 to do some boozin' before heading down to the Sudbury Arena to watch The Tragically Hip...back then I was too cool for that nonsense and I made the brilliant decision not to go...that was one of my many regrets from my highschool days....what a tit!!

RG
Reply
#4

My Postings At Work Wrote:I saw a hockey game there once. Wink
I saw Oasis there twice, both times I was front row and it was squish city, the fans were nuts. I wasn't expecting that at all, and I could barely breathe. Funny enough when I walked in to MLG for the first time the first thing I said was "what a dump", and I couldnt belive how small it was, seeing the games on tv all the time made it seem bigger than it was. Easy rink to hot box, too bad I never saw the Hip there.. :wink:

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#5

MLG was for hard core fans only. It was worse than seeing a game at Joe Louis Arena, and I can't think of another building worse than that. You couldn't even walk all the way around the Gardens, the beer lines stretched for ages and nevermind the bathrooms. The escalators they put in after were laughable; but really, there was nothing else you could do. I loved/hated getting drunk there and trying to negotiate the insane angle the higher seats had- but they had lids for their beers which was GENIUS if you ask me. I can understand trying to save the last original six building but it's so impractical for anything that it's just crazy.

Ok, I've seen more than one hockey game at MLG Smile
Reply
#6

Two nights before that the Hip played at Memorial Gardens in North Bay. Needless to say we had an awsome time! And the shrooomies didn't hurt!


robert goulet Wrote:That tour was 11 years ago??? God damn time flies by...I remember that tour because all of my friends ditched afternoon class in Grade 11 to do some boozin' before heading down to the Sudbury Arena to watch The Tragically Hip...back then I was too cool for that nonsense and I made the brilliant decision not to go...that was one of my many regrets from my highschool days....what a tit!!

RG
Reply
#7

i saw rage against the machine at maple leaf gardens. i thought MLG was beautiful. what a canadian hockey rink should be. :mrgreen:
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)