Posts: 457
Threads: 32
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
Removed from playlist. Censorship is alive and well...in Canada?????
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.edmontonsun.com/Entertainment/2005/09/01/1197433-sun.html">http://www.edmontonsun.com/Entertainmen ... 3-sun.html</a><!-- m -->
11/26/96 Buffalo
8/7/98 Wattsburg, PA
7/29/00 Darien, NY
8/1/02 Toronto
9/1/02 Darien, NY
7/28/04 Darien, NY
6/17/06 Lewiston, NY
10/25/06 Toronto
3/10/07 Buffalo
6/30/07 Lewiston, NY
7/1/07 Lewiston, NY
11/2/07 Rochester
6/4/09 Lewiston, NY
7/1/11 Toronto
7/30/11 Buffalo
6/30/12 Niagara-on-the-Lake
11/2/12 Cleveland
8/2/13 Buffalo
4/8/15 Buffalo
8/14/16 Toronto
Posts: 4,352
Threads: 136
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
it's been taken of the playlist here in Sudbury too... such bullshit, that song is often the high point of my otherwise shitty days at work...oh well, could be worse, i could be ass deep in water right now...
Posts: 3,827
Threads: 363
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
we've taken it off our playlist as well in kamloops..i think it makes sense to be honest with you..there is such a thing as being sensitive...
Posts: 1,585
Threads: 60
Joined: Aug 2002
Reputation:
0
i didnt want to start a new thread, but NOIS was played on barrie's rock station(95.7) in their long weekend "500 greatest rock songs of all time" thing.
btw #12, not too shabby
Posts: 1,585
Threads: 60
Joined: Aug 2002
Reputation:
0
just checking out their website, looks like it dropped from #5 last year
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rock95.com/Content.cfm?C=3355&SC=1&SCM=0&MI=442&L1M=442">http://www.rock95.com/Content.cfm?C=335 ... 42&L1M=442</a><!-- m -->
Posts: 256
Threads: 10
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
I don't think radio station program directors voluntarily deciding to remove NOIS from playlists constitutes censorship.
Posts: 2,672
Threads: 57
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
PurposelessPlay Wrote:I don't think radio station program directors voluntarily deciding to remove NOIS from playlists constitutes censorship.
But people like to use the word "censorship" when anything they don't like happens.
Jeff
June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Posts: 3,827
Threads: 363
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
you'd be disgusted at the many requests we get for the song in the last couple days..i went on a tirade today about how insensitive it was, and i'm sure pissed off a lot of listeners..but it's disgusting to request it because as one caller put it.."i have a sick sense of humour"
Posts: 207
Threads: 0
Joined: Jan 2005
Reputation:
0
I can't imagine the Hip mind putting that song on hiatus for a few weeks. They certainly didn't play it in Moncton on Saturday--Gord opened the set with references to the Red Cross and sang "New Orleans Is Beat" over the introduction to "Nautical Disaster."
There's censorship, and then there are well-intentioned efforts to be tactful. This strikes me as the latter.
Posts: 395
Threads: 41
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
First off, this is old news.
Second off, it's not an act of censorship. Stations are voluntarily removing it from their playlists.
Third, nobody banned anything. Yeah, I'm sure the Canadian gov't convened after Katrina hit Louisiana and held an emergency session to push through a bill that bans the playing of a song. Whatever.
Gord Sinclair himself said he completely understands why stations would pull it, and he also said he doesn't know when or if the band will play it live again.
The Hip have well over a dozen radio staples in Canada, and somewhere around 150 released songs. Radio stations have plenty of Hip material to choose from. Shelving one song is not going to hurt a damn thing.
Finally, for those of you who find it neccesary to complain about it: you must be the most selfish, self-centered individuals on the planet. You actually have the gall to place your own desire to hear a song on the radio (who the hell listens to the radio anymore anyway???) over common decency and sensitivity. You own the CD, and if you don't, you should. PLAY IT. Stop complaining. If your life truly is somehow lessened by a song being taken off the airwaves, you must have the easiest life in the world, and thus have nothing to bitch about.
Posts: 1,005
Threads: 73
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
I can be sensitive towards the people who have lost their belongings but it's a song that was written around 1988 for god sakes! Forgive me if I'm wrong, but all these radio stations banning and pulling the staple song of the hip because of a hurricane that happened in a state the hip mention in a song written 17 years ago
Here's the lyrics of the song:
Bourbon blues on the street loose and complete
Under skies all smoky blue-green
I can Forksake the dixie dead shake
So we dance the sidewalk clean
My memory is muddy what's this river I'm in
New Orleans is sinking and I don't want to swim
Colonel Tom What's wrong? What's Going On
You can't tie yourself up for a deal
He said" Hey North you're south shut you big mouth
You gotta do what you feel is real."
Ain't got no picture postcards ain't go no souvenirs
My baby she don't know me when I'm thinking about thoes years
Pale as a light bulb hanging on a wire
Sucking up to someone just stoke the fire
Picking out the highlights of the scenery
Saw a little cloud looked a little like me
I had My hand in the river
My feet back up on the banks
Looked up to the lord above and said hey man thanks
Some time I fell so good I gotta scream
She says Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean
She said, she said I swear to god she said
My memory is muddy what's this river I'm in
New Orleans is sinking and I don't want to swim
Sooooo they mention some muddy waters and cloudy skies and they don't wanna swim. OH MY GOD, cast them to hell.