Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

The Rolling Stones from the Bank St. bridge
#1

I live about 2km's north of Frank Clair stadium. At around 8:00pm, I could hear the concussive bass and muffled sound of Our Lady Peace from my balcony. At 9:00pm, I began to walk through the Glebe (your typical white-upper-middle-class neighbourhood, like Rosedale or West Mount) headed towards the show. By 9:15, about a kilometre away from the site, I could begin to hear the show pretty clearly.

I paused and was thinking "is that them?" when I heard that distinctive voice, and one of those distinctive guitar riffs. Unmistakably, The Rolling Stones. Next was the roar of the crowd. Louder than most jets in this part of town and amazingly audible.

Heading out to Bank street, I began to notice families, groups of friends, and gatherings of neighbours on front lawns and patio's. It was as if everybody had turned their radio's to the same station. The sound of the show was clear and very loud as I hit Bank. I was suddenly surrounded by hundreds of other people marching up the street. You could hear it all soon enough, and lots of folks were singing along. Cops directing traffic: "Brown sugar..." Some kid with a rickshaw: "She's so hot for me..." and people who could have been my parents, or my grandparents: "Your beast of burden..."

Bank street itself was a festival. It looked like just as many people outside as in. Approaching the stadium, massive groups of people had gathered at spots which gave a clear view of the giant video screens. The stage itself looked like somebody was building a sky scraper in the stadium. Scaffolding, beams and catwalks that took two days to build and will take another two to take down.

As Mick introduced the band after they covered Ray Charles "Night And Day," people outside the stadium cheered just as loud as those within. When Keith said "Long time no see, Ottawa" a whole segment of the city literally responded with a cheer. People were crowded on hilltops, stationed on roofs, even an endless line of boats had docked along the Rideau canal. First avenue was the designated limo spot, and it looked like one of those urban parking lots where they block you in. I've never seen so many stretched cars in one place.

I walked along the canal where people had been camped out since this morning. Lots of folks under blankets, tons of little kids running around, and a great number of people remaining perfectly still, mesmorized by the massive stage and light show.

By the time I'd made it downtown, about another 2km from the site, people were still passing me on the way to the show, and the spotlights were still visible over my head.

The most amazing point of the walk was at the point where the canal turns and heads for the Ottawa river. That long straight tunnel of water and brick created the perfect conduit for sound. I could clearly hear "Jumping Jack Flash" as I looked back at the glowing aura of the concert in the distance.

Walking through downtown, Mick's voice since lost but the odd bass note or drum beat still detectable, people were talking about the show. "The stage was huge," "I think they'll go on forever," and "Probably the last time..." among other comments I heard. As I came closer to where I started, the noise became clearer again. People were pausing and trying to identify songs: "Brown Sugar?"

I Just heard the sound of fireworks, so I guess the show is over now. But when they say the Stones played Ottawa, they're not kidding. It was an event throughout the entire city.
Reply
#2

Sounds cool, I wish I could of experienced it, well told Stephen!

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#3

Very cool. Can't wait to see what the Red Mile is like when the Stones hit Calgary. I'm expecting it'll be pretty crazy.
Reply
#4

direwolf74 Wrote:Very cool. Can't wait to see what the Red Mile is like when the Stones hit Calgary. I'm expecting it'll be pretty crazy.

Are they playing McMahon? That would be a great outdoor venue to see 'em.
Reply
#5

Stephen Dame Wrote:
direwolf74 Wrote:Very cool. Can't wait to see what the Red Mile is like when the Stones hit Calgary. I'm expecting it'll be pretty crazy.

Are they playing McMahon? That would be a great outdoor venue to see 'em.


Unfortunately, no. The gig is in late October, so they're playing the Saddledome.
Reply
#6

My apt is just off of Bank St in centretown, just over 2km's from the stadium. The little lady and I were on my 7th floor balcony, facing the stadium from the opening notes of Start Me Up up until the end of the show.. Some of the bass was indeed lost, and the volume shifted as the winds changed, but, it was a pretty amazing experience.

Hearing the crowd belt out You Can't Always Get What You Want half way across Ottawa, is something I'll remember for a long, long time.
Reply
#7

Quite the night in O-town last night

The whole day the buzz everywhere was about the Stones, whole weekend basically.

Me and a few friends headed out with our lawn chairs around 6pm. Got to the canal(opposite side from stadium), already 50-100 people around this spot. We got a good spot with good view of the massive video screen on the stage. Listened to OLP, new tunes are good, different than last album in my opinion, then an hour long break or so before Mick 'n' Keef and the gang come out.

As the night went on, more and more people were taking spots near the canal and the stadium, just to be at this historic event in Ottawa. Boats were all stopped near the stadium too to see and listen.

Just hearing those first few chords of Start Me Up is a pretty cool feeling, fireworks erupt and out they come.

Stayed for a good part of the show, until 10:30 or so. Walked back home after, could hear them almost all the way home(30 minute walk to my place).

5 more days until I get to see them(+ The Hip!) in Moncton!

Also, there were rumours that the Stones were gonna shoot parts of their upcoming video here today as well, and on the radio this afternoon they said apparently they were doing a shoot at Zaphod's around 3, (small kickass music club in the market).

That will be something.
Reply
#8

habsfan19 Wrote:Also, there were rumours that the Stones were gonna shoot parts of their upcoming video here today as well, and on the radio this afternoon they said apparently they were doing a shoot at Zaphod's around 3, (small kickass music club in the market).

That will be something.

As I finished my walk around 10:30, I saw a film crew wrapping up in front of Couvrette Photo studio on Gladstone and Kent. The sound of the band was still echoing through the air.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)