Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Those with Dogs
#1

Guys/Girls,

Back in Feb, I got a dog, Auggie, Siberian Husky, he f'ing rocks. Love the dog to death. He and I must have hiked 1,000 miles this summer.

Problem. Teaching starts yet again. I teach high school, and take some classes at a local University for my masters. Thus, I work 80+ hours a week. No BS.

My question is, what exactly to do with homeboy as I call him. Just feel like the next 3-4 months are gonna be tough on him inspite of walking 5 miles or so a day (once at 5 am and once about 9-10pm)Giving him up is absolutely NOT an option.

Was thinking maybe of getting another dog.

I know a few of you have dogs, and really value your opinions.

Thanks all.

Mick
Reply
#2

Any doggy daycares in your area?
Reply
#3

cferneyh Wrote:Any doggy daycares in your area?

Do you use a service like this?
Reply
#4

I don't these days, but when our Yellow Lab was a pup we'd put her in one a couple of days a week. But now that she's 6 there's no need. She's mellowed out a bit.
Reply
#5

Maybe a dog walker? They can pick up your dog and take them for a walk with other dogs. I know some people do this in Winnipeg.

I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Reply
#6

buy a treadmill and teach the dog to use it...
Reply
#7

So how long will he be left alone? Do you have anywhere in your house where you could shut him in, and if he pees or poops, it would be easy to clean up...ie. kitchen, bathroom, basement? If that's an option, your dog will adapt, just leave him a nice blanket to sleep on, and food/water.


The dog walker idea is pretty good. There are many around here, so I can only assume it would be the same where you are. I'm sure you could arrange it so they would come over once or twice in the day and let your guy out and take him for his walks.

I wouldn't advise leaving him in the yard alone for the day. There are too many weirdos who may either let your dog out, or worse, steal the dog...happens all the time.
Reply
#8

Billy Wrote:I wouldn't advise leaving him in the yard alone for the day. There are too many weirdos who may either let your dog out, or worse, steal the dog...happens all the time.

Or worse - when I was a kid our family went to a relative's one Saturday, and some f*cknut beat the shit out of our dog whom we'd left in the backyard. I'm talking a beating so bad that there were skull fractures. My dad figured whoever did it took a baseball bat to her. It was so bad that my parents made my sister and I go up to our rooms so that we didn't see her.

My parents, who were having a tough time making ends meet in those days, spent thousands on surgery because they didn't think my sister and I were ready to deal with death. Needless to say, that dog was never the same again. She went from being the happiest, friendliest dog ever to being terrified of any strangers and never, ever wagging her tail. To this day it breaks my heart when I think of it.

Some people out there simply don't deserve to draw oxygen.
Reply
#9

Billy,

You are absolutely right. Way too many weirdos to leave him alone. Really, just gonna be super busy til Dec, so I do think he will adapt.

You guys don't think another dog is a good option>?
Reply
#10

chicagoblackhawks77 Wrote:Billy,

You are absolutely right. Way too many weirdos to leave him alone. Really, just gonna be super busy til Dec, so I do think he will adapt.

You guys don't think another dog is a good option>?

I think once you're gone, the dogs will just go to sleep anyways, so it won't make any difference if it's one or two dogs. I find 2 dogs are only a benefit when you're around them...then they will play and run, and keep each other company.
Reply
#11

cferneyh Wrote:
Billy Wrote:I wouldn't advise leaving him in the yard alone for the day. There are too many weirdos who may either let your dog out, or worse, steal the dog...happens all the time.

Or worse - when I was a kid our family went to a relative's one Saturday, and some f*cknut beat the shit out of our dog whom we'd left in the backyard. I'm talking a beating so bad that there were skull fractures. My dad figured whoever did it took a baseball bat to her. It was so bad that my parents made my sister and I go up to our rooms so that we didn't see her.

My parents, who were having a tough time making ends meet in those days, spent thousands on surgery because they didn't think my sister and I were ready to deal with death. Needless to say, that dog was never the same again. She went from being the happiest, friendliest dog ever to being terrified of any strangers and never, ever wagging her tail. To this day it breaks my heart when I think of it.

Some people out there simply don't deserve to draw oxygen.
That's absolutely terrible, who would do such a thing? Im sorry you had to go through that cferneyh, as a kid thats the kind of thing you'd like to forget but never will, thats awful. Man that kind of stuff really pisses me off to no end. :x :x

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#12

cferneyh Wrote:Or worse - when I was a kid our family went to a relative's one Saturday, and some f*cknut beat the shit out of our dog whom we'd left in the backyard. I'm talking a beating so bad that there were skull fractures. My dad figured whoever did it took a baseball bat to her. It was so bad that my parents made my sister and I go up to our rooms so that we didn't see her.

A similar thing happened to our dog when I was a kid, but not as bad. The guy only got to belt her once or twice before she ran away. But we thought she was going to lose an eye.

I can't help thinking that the best way to deal with those people doesn't involve the police.
Reply
#13

skippy the wonder dog Wrote:I can't help thinking that the best way to deal with those people doesn't involve the police.

Couldn't agree more.
Reply
#14

I "m telling you up front that I am just joking when I say this:

You could get your dog drunk and let her/him sleep off the hangover the next day!!!

Happy Tail Ale:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.beerfordogs.com/">http://www.beerfordogs.com/</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#15

Mick...I also have a siberian husky...She is 10 months old. I am fortunate that I work at home, but I NEVER leave her out of a kennel when I am not home, cause she will chew anything and distroy the house! I have a small kennel that she sleeps in and stays in when I need to go away. She has no problem with it...easier if you kennel train them from the start, then they don't mind being in it. And i bought a large out door kennel...13.5 x 7 x 8 high. The outdoor kennel is great to leave her in when I am away for the day (I have never had a problem leaving her for a few hours- I just get neighbours to watch her). I have a tarp for the top, a dog house, and a kids pool for the summer. I lock the kennel when I am away, and give the neighbour the key. I also have a local kennel that I take her to if I'm going to be gone longer than 6-8 hours. She loves it there. They take her for walks, and she plays with the other dogs...only about $14 a day.
Hope this helps! He's a cute dog!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)