Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Team Canada
#1

The camp is already under way and already the usual controversy has started, who should be there, who shouldnt?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story.asp?id=133973">http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_ ... ?id=133973</a><!-- m -->

There's talk of Heatley maybe not making it, that I dont get he should be there for sure. What about Bertuzzi? Think he should get the chance, is he good enough? Goaltending is a lock with Brodeur, but the big question is who backs him up? Luongo and Theodore have the best chance, and Turco is the other, Id go with Luongo, but I think Theodore is just as good. I hope Kariya doesnt get on, he hasnt done a thing in over 2 years.

So sports fans, whats your call?

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#2

I like what they said in the article, but they make it sound like the team is half set
Sakic,Yzerman, Iginla, Lecavalier, Bertuzzi, etc...
Anything can happen in the first 3-4 months of the season
Either way, we're gonna have a kick-ass team
Reply
#3

From the top of the lineup to the bottom no country can field a team that is as solid as the one Canada can put on the ice. Other countries have unbelievable players, but they invariably end up with holes in their lineups.

But....they still have to play the games, and the #1 wild card is running into a hot goalie. However, being that I am a degenerate gambler, you can take this one to the bank...Call it "Goulet's Shoe in of the Year" (a la Simpsons episode) I've already sent my novelty sized shoe to the Sports Book in Bally's and the shear size of it has already swayed the early lines.

In all seriousness, I think we've got the best shot at the gold this year. 50 years of drought, now we've got the taste for victory, and I don't see us giving it back up.

Goulet!!!
Reply
#4

Yes Canada looks absolutely stacked. The old cliche of "Canada could send two teams and both could win gold" is true this time.

I like the idea of keeping set lines together as much as possible... the Thornton-Nash-Gagne line was killer at the Worlds, and Lecavalier-St. Louis-Richards is a great combo who still are part of the reigning Stanley Cup champs, so those lines should make the team. Hard to imagine a guy as talented as Heatley could miss out, but he could if he doesn't have a great first half of the season.

This is almost as much fun as watching the Olympic hockey games themselves... guessing and debating on who will make Team Canada! Lookin' good Canada! :thumb:
Reply
#5

Primeau is a bum. Why does he keep getting invited?
Reply
#6

cferneyh Wrote:Primeau is a bum. Why does he keep getting invited?
I ask myself that very same question, there was a time when he was a capable power-forward, but I can think of at least 4-5 guys Id take first right now. Have to see how the team shapes up before I can start yelling at the tv. :lol:

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#7

You can't go wrong really. Canada will likely win with any combination of those players.

I think Turco is better than Theodore.

BTW, Ryan Smyth, Morrison, Marleau, Tanguay, and Morrow are not "stars". They are good players. The word "star" gets used way too often. None of those players should make the team unless they have out of this world starts to the season.
Reply
#8

Primeau is most certainly not a bum...if you remember the series in the last season, he was awesome during the playoffs...stop looking at stats, because there are more important things, and he's certainly better than zamuner who made the team in 98...saying that, here is my team as of now, assuming 13 forwards, 7 defence, 3 goalies

lemieux-sakic-iginla
Yzerman-Lecavallier-St. Louis
Bertuzzi-Richards-Doan
Gagne-Thornton-Nash
Draper

Niedermayer-Blake
Pronger-Foote
Regher-Redden
Jovanovski

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore
Reply
#9

lilbones Wrote:Primeau is most certainly not a bum...if you remember the series in the last season, he was awesome during the playoffs...stop looking at stats, because there are more important things,

More important things than stats? HA!

What are those "more important things" exactly? The object of the game is to score more goals than the other team. Accordingly, there isn't anything "more important" than scoring goals. If you don't score goals, you don't win. It's that simple.

And if he's full of the so called "intangibles", then why isn't his name on the Cup?

As for the most recent playoffs, sure, he had a good series against the Leafs (thanks to McCabe), but take a closer look at his stats. He's such a homer it isn't even funny. If I recall correctly 14 of his 16 points were at home. Woooooohooooooooo! That's clutch!

Bum.
Reply
#10

Gagne is overrated. Forget to mention that earlier. There's no way in hell I'd have him on Team Canada but he'll probably make it.
Reply
#11

cferneyh Wrote:
lilbones Wrote:Primeau is most certainly not a bum...if you remember the series in the last season, he was awesome during the playoffs...stop looking at stats, because there are more important things,

More important things than stats? HA!

What are those "more important things" exactly? The object of the game is to score more goals than the other team. Accordingly, there isn't anything "more important" than scoring goals. If you don't score goals, you don't win. It's that simple.

And if he's full of the so called "intangibles", then why isn't his name on the Cup?

As for the most recent playoffs, sure, he had a good series against the Leafs (thanks to McCabe), but take a closer look at his stats. He's such a homer it isn't even funny. If I recall correctly 14 of his 16 points were at home. Woooooohooooooooo! That's clutch!

Bum.

You could use the old "stat" excuse for everyone though. I agree there are other things that stats. For instance, I'd much rather have Brendan Witt on the back end that pretty much anyone the Canucks currently have except for maybe Ohlund (yes that includes turnover king Jovo). Jovo puts up good "stats" as a dman but gives the puck away regularly, can't clear the front of the net, and can't really play defense in general. He should be a winger.

Cferneyh, don't forget about Linden. He brings much more to the table than stats. Ya know, like "leadership" and "hard work" and "old age" and "lack of production" and "he's a veteran"....ha
Reply
#12

tigerthelion Wrote:I think Turco is better than Theodore

Confusedhock: No fuckin way!!!! Turco can lick my ass. Theo is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. imo.

:thumb:

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#13

LizardKing51 Wrote:
tigerthelion Wrote:I think Turco is better than Theodore

Confusedhock: No fuckin way!!!! Turco can lick my ass. Theo is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. imo.

:thumb:

Theodore is like Cujo. He plays great for a team that nobody expects to do anything so he's in a no lose situation. Nobody expects Montreal to win a Cup so by even winning a playoff round, Theodore is treated like a GOD. How many goals did Jose let in against Carolina when Montreal were eliminated? He has a few good games but I have yet to see him come up huge when it matters most.

Turco hasn't proven much either. I just think he is the better goalie. I think Theodore being French might get him a little more acclaim since the best goalies of late have been Roy and Brodeur who to my knowledge are both French. The media loves those French goalies.

You wouldn't be a Montreal fan would you? haha
Reply
#14

ahem...
[Image: SP-9175.jpg]
I gotta support my guy, Ive watched him play many many times, I watch all Habs games and I know a great goalie when I see one and his is one. Turco is a good goalie, but better than Theo, I dont think so. :thumb:

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#15

no shit eh, Theodore is statistically (GAA, and S %) the best goaltender Montreal's ever had, don't believe me, go to whatifsports.com, build a trial nhl team, and check out all the goalies possible for Montreal, and look at their GAA and S %, Theodore is "The Next One" as far as goalies go, and after Brodeur retires, he will reign supreme as king of the pipes...


my team would look like:

D: Bouwmeister, Hannan, Scott Neidermayer, Pronger, Redden, Regher, Brewer/Jovanovski

Forwards: Sakic, Doan, Heatley, Bertuzzi, Nash, Iginla, Lecavallier, St. Louis, Richards, Smyth, Thornton, Lemieux, Gagne

Goal: Brodeur, Theodore, Luongo

Line 1: Lemieux, Sakic, Iginla
line 2: Lecavallier, Richards, St. Louis
line 3: Nash, Thornton, Gagne,
line 4: Heatley, Doan, Bertuzzi
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)