Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

A New Hip Club-looking to the future..
#1

*Before you get excited this isnt a big news update thread.* Sorry I wish it was..

Ok, so I've been thinking lately about the state of the HipClub, thehip.com and the Hipbase and I got to thinking maybe it can all go together in a way that works for everybody, especially the fans, and I mean the real fans. I was wondering, who among us would be for the idea of the Hip Club being re-invented as a pay for Fan Club? Im a member of Pearl Jam's Ten Club and I like the idea of being able to get tickets first and getting newsletters and the annual xmas "single" among other things. Who would like the Hip Club and thehip.com to meld with the Hipbase into a "Official Tragically Hip Fanclub" Like "the message pit"on PJ.com, it is linked right from the band's web-page, if the Hipbase was linked exclusively through <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thehip.com">www.thehip.com</a><!-- w --> it would at least force people to go to the site and thats a good thing. Of course the band would have the ultimate say in all of this but lets say for the sake of argument that they did just that and as a paying member you got: (hypothetically)

-First Access to tickets for all Hip shows
-A periodical newsletter ala "Tales from the Hip"
-Access to "exclusive" unreleased material and new releases from the band.
-A discount on merch and other Hip related material.
-And who knows what else..

Would this appeal to you? Would you pay $20-40 dollars lets say a year for these things? And I know you can get almost all Hip boots and b-sides from the tracker and the ftp. And the Hip Club was free, but you did have to pay for IVL to get it, a clever marketing trick (not that Im assuming the Hip is out to take our money). I dont know how many IVL albums were sold, but would they have sold less if you didnt get a Hip Club membership? Who knows.. I know in the past some of these things were given for free like the IVL b-sides, but the Hip Club turned out to be a bit of a bust. Now with a new webmaster on board and the band still rocking as great as ever and always looking to the future, maybe this concept is a good one? All of the things on my list cost money, and being a die-hard Hip fan I would gladly pay to have these things, especially number one-having first crack at tickets. I know most of these things have been done in the past, but where are they now? The Hip Club is dead and there are no more Newsletters and we had to pay itunes to get Night Is Forgetting, I would rather give my money to the band and have it put into a fan club. I think the Hipbase should be linked off thehip.com as the "official Hip fan forum" (although it pretty much is, unofficially). Im not saying things aren't great for Hip fans at the moment, but maybe they just need some improving, I know they are re-tooling the website soon and as for the Hip Club does anyone know whats going on with that? Or is this just a case of If it aint broke dont fix it?

I know in the end it comes down to what the band thinks and wants, maybe they are totally against the idea of making fans pay for such things, I dont know. Just my thought for today, maybe its too far fetched or off the wall, but its just a thought thats all.

LK. 8)

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#2

I would Love to hear what people have to say on this.

MAv.
Reply
#3

LizardKing51 Wrote:First Access to tickets for all Hip shows

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Reply
#4

Something about the idea of paying for a club rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps it's the fact I've been faithfully following these guys for 16ish years, and I've spent $1000's over the years...I dunno.

Lord knows I would instantly shell out the cash, but as I type this, the idea just doesn't sit well with me.
Reply
#5

This opinion is mine alone: I'd pay for a club. Holiday cd single in the mail, club access to the best seats, that sort of thing. Hope no one is offended by my view... : /
Reply
#6

How about a club where by you become a member with the purchase of every cd you purchase, the more you purchase, the more "exclusive" the club becomes?? I don't know, just throwing ideas out. For us original club members from IVL, our membership would get us more "inside" then say members from the next cd that is issued (should they continue this route). I know we skipped IBE, perhaps they could include it with the g.hits/dvd package. That could intice people to go back and by IVL. I don't know, I'm just trying to help MAv out with this idea. But certainly unreleased tunes and "first in line" for tickets is the way to go for this club
Reply
#7

I would gladly pay up to $50 a year to be a member of a club with benefits.

I especially would like access to tickets, mailers/newsletters, unreleased music/videos etc...

I'm not a member of the Ten Club myself, but everyone I know that is or has been have reaped some great benefits from being part of it and it's something Pearl Jam has taken seriously and maintained.

Having the latest access, via Mav, and his/her improvements to content almost feels like I should be paying someone now!

Cheers!

-J :thumb:
Reply
#8

No problems paying for a club a la Pearl Jam's Ten Club -- I think that's a great model to follow.
Reply
#9

Being an American Hip fan is an exclusive club on its own.

But, in all seriousness, there's an elitist disaster in this. This synthesizes a barrier between devoted fans, and Devoted Fans With Disposable Income. To enact such a system is, necessarily, to further separate people from art.

This is a slippery "Tiger the Lion" kind of a slope right here, kids.
Reply
#10

10d Wrote:Being an American Hip fan is an exclusive club on its own.

But, in all seriousness, there's an elitist disaster in this. This synthesizes a barrier between devoted fans, and Devoted Fans With Disposable Income. To enact such a system is, necessarily, to further separate people from art.

This is a slippery "Tiger the Lion" kind of a slope right here, kids.

Yup, there are issues all around this . . . for sure . . .

MAv.
Reply
#11

Personally I would happily pay a reasonable amount to join a new Hip Club with the kinds of benefits LK mentions.

Even though 10d raises some valid points, we have to realize there are costs involved in offering these kinds of benefits to fans. Also with unreleased songs and so on, the band is offering their art to us, and I don't think it's unreasonable for them to ask for some compensation for their efforts. Surely I would not expect them or their management to milk us for all we're worth, but I wouldn't be upset should they ask for a small yearly payment to cover these things.

Certainly there are pros and cons to both sides of this argument, but I'm glad we have the chance to have this discussion. I hope something positive comes of this.
Reply
#12

I aswell think it would be a good idea, I would pay to become a member.
Reply
#13

j-monster Wrote:we have to realize there are costs involved in offering these kinds of benefits to fans.

Again, valid point. Nice debate. Seriously, there's a smart group of people here . . .

MAv.
Reply
#14

rocketsan22 Wrote:This opinion is mine alone: I'd pay for a club. Holiday cd single in the mail, club access to the best seats, that sort of thing. Hope no one is offended by my view... : /
Contrary to some of our other posts; I agree 100% with rocketsan22!
Reply
#15

Count me in as well! I would definately pay for a Hip Club membership that offered benefits similar to the Ten Club. I don't think it would be fair to expect these special offerings from the band for free.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)