Posts: 1,933
Threads: 100
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
Just got back from the Stripper's Union show in the Hammer....
Chancellor & I spoke to Rob, and unfortunately he said that the greatest hits compilation WILL NOT feature any B-sides. He said that they have a lot of them, and they will hopefully get them out on a disc in the future. This greatest hits disc will, however, feature 3 new songs. He specifically mentioned a song called 'No Threat' which he said is "the most rocking tune since Poets." He seemed really excited about this tune as well.
Also, he said the Stripper's Union will likely tour all of Canada in the fall, and will stop in Hamilton again to take advantage of some of that "McMaster money." Good news for us in the Hammer.
Posts: 3,394
Threads: 118
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
Can someone with industry experience explain to me why there will be no B-sides? Sounds like the band wants to get them out, a "Greatest Hits" package is the perfect opportunity, yet it's not going to happen. Just seems a little strange to me.
Posts: 799
Threads: 54
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
It makes more sense to do a Greatest Hits seperate from a B-sides. For a band with as many "hits" as The Hip a proper Greatest Hits would have to be two discs which leaves no room for B-sides.
On a side note I think that Vaccination Scar was just as rocking, or more rocking than Poets.
Nov 19, 1996 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 23, 1997 Winnipeg, MB
Feb 26, 1999 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Nov 23, 2004 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 20, 2007 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 7, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 9, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 10, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 11, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB
Dec 1, 2012 Fargo, ND
Jan 26, 2013 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 28, 2013 Brandon, MB
Feb 14, 2015 Winnipeg, MB
Aug 5, 2016 Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 295
Threads: 18
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
There is no doubt that Vaccination Scar is pumping hard like Poets and Music At Work too I might add. Maybe in the sense that Poets live is a little something extra. But 3 new songs is cool by me. I can't wait. No, literally, I can't wait.
Posts: 4,352
Threads: 136
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
i wonder if it will be as rockin as Heart Of The Melt..
Posts: 222
Threads: 24
Joined: Jun 2003
Reputation:
0
I'm going to see Stripper's Union tomorrow here in Kingston. what should I ask Rob if given the chance?
I chatted to Gord Sinclair. Friday night, but my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and just chatted personal stuff with him. Cool to be congratulated on your anniversary by a member of your Ultimate favorite band tho!!
tina
Posts: 4,352
Threads: 136
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
ask him the names of of the other two songs and what they're like!
Posts: 6,675
Threads: 359
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
Damn, no b-sides?? That truly sucks. I can't stand greatest hits albums, and I never buy them, especially if I already own all the studio records. However, 3 new songs is pretty exciting. Looks like I'll have to make an exception and pick this one up.
Posts: 2,571
Threads: 145
Joined: May 2003
Reputation:
0
Yes I agree it sucks, I was sure they'd put out a B-sidez....
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Posts: 1,577
Threads: 35
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
can we lean on MAv to get the boys to reconsider this ... can we start a petition for a B-Sides disc as part of this package.
1. Chris Tanz
2. ...
ct
Posts: 337
Threads: 5
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
Yeah, but then they'd have to reset a lot of the hip club stuff. I actually found my card a few months ago, but I've got no idea what my password is...and from what I understand, no one seems to care about it in the hip camp anymore.
Posts: 1,577
Threads: 35
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
The Hip Club rawked for the 20 minutes it was up and running.
I see copies of IVL in stores with the sticker on the front that still says "Hip Club Card Inside!!!!" and I just shake my head.
B-Sides: I think they're missing a golden opportunity here. If they package it up with a greatest hits CD, they don't have to worry about only die hards buying it - the die hards buy it for the b-sides and the casual fans buy it for the greatest hits. everyone wins. nobody loses. we're all happy.
except it's not going to happen. so I'll shut up.
ct
Posts: 2,144
Threads: 97
Joined: Jun 2003
Reputation:
0
I'm of the opinion that the only people who buy greatest hits albums are 1) only aware of a band's material through radio (and their overplayed "hits") and want them for the convience of having all their hits in one album, 2) obssesive compulsive fans who have to have every commercially released fart, belch and scratching of their band (This is seperate from fans who collect bootlegs for the variety and musical spectactle :mrgreen: ) or 3) people who are buying them as a Christmas or birthday gift. When radio had much more influence to dictate the popularity of certain bands, greatest hits albums were surefire cash cows. They really aren't necessary in my opinion.
Posts: 1,005
Threads: 73
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
A greatest hits album is something us crazy hip fans don't exactly need or anticipate that much because we should have all the albums already. I'm anticipating and excited about the 3 new songs and the live dvd to come with it and even better, a fall tour!!!!!
Hopefully the greatest hits album will reach all the people who like the hip, but not enough to buy each album allowing them to have some of their favorites on a compilation and who knows, maybe they'll go out and buy an album or 2 because they like what they hear and want more.