Posts: 5,352
Threads: 277
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
Here are the 10 Greatest Albums of the past 20 years.. (Im sure most of you have been waiting years for this) well the time has arrived..
Radiohead — OK Computer
Public Enemy — It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Nirvana — Nevermind
Pavement — Slanted And Enchanted
The Smiths — The Queen Is Dead
Pixies — Surfer Rosa
De La Soul — 3 Feet High And Rising
Prince — Sign O' The Times
PJ Harvey — Rid Of Me
NWA — Straight Outta Compton
originally taken from here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/06/2006.cfm">http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/06/2006.cfm</a><!-- m -->
As usual I totally disagree with that list, but what do I know? Im just a dumb Hip fan trying to make it in this life :roll: :lol:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Posts: 184
Threads: 10
Joined: Jan 2005
Reputation:
0
Having only ever listened to 2 of the albums on the list (#s 1 & 3), I really can't pass judgement, except to agree that Ok Computer is probably deserving of the 1st spot.
Posts: 557
Threads: 22
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
good to see ok computer #1
Posts: 1,879
Threads: 16
Joined: Nov 2004
Reputation:
0
Am I alone here, or does anyone else think Radiohead are overly precious and pretentious? I think they got so consumed with technical brilliance and wizardry that they sucked all the heart and soul out of their music. That's just my opinion, of course, I could be wrong.
Posts: 669
Threads: 16
Joined: Apr 2005
Reputation:
0
There's a huge thread on Fark about this, with me and couple other guys submitting Road Apples and Day for Night as the best album of the last 20 years.
But i'd definitely put Tool's Aenima, Metallica's Master of Puppets and Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory over Radiohead.
Posts: 1,933
Threads: 100
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
Wizardry has no place in rock & roll.
Posts: 492
Threads: 14
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
I've never listened to a single one of these albums, but I do have a copy of "Straight Outta Compton" that has everything removed except the swearing. It clocks in at nearly 3 minutes long.
Posts: 6,675
Threads: 359
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
They forgot about an album called "Day for Night" by a little known Canadian band called The Tragically Hip. Spin is an American magazine though, and it's safe to say they have no idea who the Hip are, so I'll forgive 'em.
Oh, and I agree about Radiohead being overrated. The Bends and Ok Computer are absolutely brilliant albums, no question there. I even liked Kid A a little bit. But they totally lost me with Amnesiac, which in my opinion was an incredibly dull record, which didn't surprise me considering it was nothing more than Kid A leftovers. Hail to the Thief was a welcome return to form, and it was great to hear them bust out the guitars again on a few of the tracks...but I still think they're overrated. I've said it before and I'll say it again. At this point in their career, those guys could put out an album of them farting into the mic and critics around the world would call it "brilliant" and "cutting edge" just because it's Radiohead. And that annoys me.
Posts: 643
Threads: 37
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
I have to agree that Amnesiac was a let down. Radiohead albums usually take a few listens to get into. Albums like that usually turn out to be my favorite. It always helps to be stoned when listening to a Radiohead album. After seeing these guys live I have little doubt they are the 2nd greatest band in the world.
Posts: 1,577
Threads: 35
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
for me, Radiohead is like this: everyonce in a while I remember that I have all their albums, and I think to myself, "I really should listen to them because their all incredible soundscapes that will transport me to a different state of mind". And then I never get around to it, because it seems like too much time and effort would be required to enjoy the albums, even though on a certain level I know they're really good.
they kind of demand that you plug in with earphones and listen to them in a dark room and have 6 or 7 hours to take it all in (the stuff after The Bends at least).
which isn't a bad thing, I guess.
ct
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 27
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
Its all subjective, who cares. Listen to what appeals to you