Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Top ten ways George Bush can regain his popularity
#1

From Letterman last night. Funny stuff. I think #7 is my favorite:


10. Dip into social security fund to give every American free HBO

9. Use diplomacy to bring peace to Brad, Jen and Angelina

8. Try fixing Iraq, creating some jobs, reducing the deficit and maybe capturing Osama

7. Figure out a way for the Yankees to win a game

6. Replace his "country simpleton" persona with more lovable "hillbilly idiot" image

5. Use weekly radio address to give Americans a Van Halen twofer

4. Get Saddam to switch to boxers

3. Ditch the librarian and make Eva Longoria First Lady

2. Resign

1. Jump on Oprah's couch while professing his love for Katie Holmes
Reply
#2

direwolf74 Wrote:2. Resign

I like that one :thumb:

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#3

Uhhhhhh........he...is...popular....that would be why he won the election.....
Reply
#4

No, he won the election because people are stupid.
Reply
#5

beanmedic Wrote:No, he won the election because people are stupid.

I second that. Only 50% of us voted for him. I live in a blue state and I'm proud to say I didn't.

Also, many people buy into the whole we should be in Iraq and the whole terrorism thing.
Reply
#6

I wasn't aware that democracy dictated that only people deemed "smart" by Canadians are allowed to vote.

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#7

fingernailsonhull Wrote:I wasn't aware that democracy dictated that only people deemed "smart" by Canadians are allowed to vote.

I think bean's comment is typical of many Democrats in the US... they attack Bush and call him every name in the book, but they never say what good THEY would do for their country, or how THEIR policies are better than the Republicans... or even what their policies ARE! As a result, Bush has won the last two elections (the last one relatively solidly), and if I'm not mistaken, Republicans also control the House and the Senate.

In Canada, the situation, while not exactly the same as in the US, is somewhat reversed... the Liberals are in power despite their unpopularity, but the Conservatives haven't taken advantage of this, and unfortunately some small-c conservatives have taken to attacking and insulting the electorate for not supporting their cause. This is bad enough in itself, but it is made worse considering the CPC has continued to do a poor job of promoting their policies.

*Sigh* Sad I guess I can only hope the powers-that-be in the CPC pull their heads out of their collective rear ends and start clearly explaining to Canadians why they would govern better than the Liberals. Then maybe we'd have something here.

Bush is by no means perfect, but I'd take him as the leader of my country over Martin any day of the week.

And twice on Sundays.

*rant over, bracing for the inevitable nasty replies*
Reply
#8

I dont care for Bush or Martin really, Martin is way too wishy-washy and gutless to get my vote or respect, the guy has no balls. Bush is a goof, plus his moves in the middle east make me sick, how many people have died in Iraq since he took over and for what?

I hate politics..

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#9

LizardKing51 Wrote:I dont care for Bush or Martin really, Martin is way too wishy-washy and gutless to get my vote or respect, the guy has no balls. Bush is a goof, plus his moves in the middle east make me sick, how many people have died in Iraq since he took over and for what?

I hate politics..

Could you elaborate exactly what moves of Bush in Iraq make you sick; attempting to remake Middle East governments into true multiethnic representative democracies, deposing a thug whom Europe (and the U.S.) blithely tolerated for 30 plus years in order to sell arms and in (IMO naive) hope that it would provide a counterbalance to Iran's theocracy, or ignoring the official conventional wisdom of solving the Middle East problem by negotiating a land-for-peace deal between the Israelis and Palestinians (nevermind that that *insert sarcasm* great peacemaker Arafat would condemn suicide bombers in English on Western TV and praise them to the sky in Arabic on Al-Jazeera and other Arabic TV channels)?? Bush has made plenty of mistakes, no doubt about it, but I find it a bit strange that people savagely criticize him for sticking to his principles and his policies and proclaim him a dunce while salivating for the great liberal politicial hope who will decisively defend American (or Canadian) national security interests. I'll be blunt; such a person really doesnt exist anymore in this age of consulational wimp outs (aka Kerry's campaign promises and Clinton's reluctance to commit ground forces in Bosnia and Rwanda). The last liberal politicans who had the balls to gamble militarily to defeat a great evil were Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman.
Reply
#10

It's funny, the #1's on the list used to always be what made Dave and Gerard Mulligan (His head writer and good buddy for twenty years) laugh, or more accurately: what made them snicker knowing most of the audience wouldn't get it.

#2 was always the designed pop; the audience laugh line.

Since Gerard left last fall, #2 has been far more cynical and biting, folks over at the Letterman group figure Dave is fond of getting his digs in there.

Yet, even in New York, that "resign" joke got a mixed reaction before the anit-Bush part of the crowd exploded... I guess it's all they've got now.

A very good list, and all part of a very good week for Dave. Somebody at CBS thank Crowe for going nuts: the Neilson numbers were huge. Jay who?
Reply
#11

thipfan73 Wrote:
beanmedic Wrote:No, he won the election because people are stupid.

I second that. Only 50% of us voted for him. I live in a blue state and I'm proud to say I didn't.

You two just keep on thinking that WE'RE the stupid ones. :thumb:

:lol:
Reply
#12

For all of you Canadian George Bush haters - I have 2 words for you:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: PAUL MARTIN :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Reply
#13

direwolf74 Wrote:7. Figure out a way for the Yankees to win a game

I think that would make him even more unpopular
Reply
#14

Dilly_sAm Wrote:Uhhhhhh........he...is...popular....that would be why he won the election.....

u seen his aproval rating lately? not so popular
Reply
#15

Wow, all this political rage because of a Letterman top 10 list. This is great. Keep goin, guys!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)