Poll: Were 'Gus' and 'Courage' good choices for the Grey Cup gig? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes! Both rocked!!
0%
0
0%
Gus yes, Courage no
0%
0
0%
Courage yes, Gus no
0%
0
0%
No! Both sucked!!
0%
0
0%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Official Grey Cup Setlist Poll!
#1

Hey, I finally figured out how to make polls. It couldn't come at a worse time. :thumb:
Reply
#2

don't we have enough of these threads already? :roll:
Reply
#3

I second that. Wish people didn't feel the need to start a different thread for their own thoughts.

But I'm not entirely a spoilsport. I voted. Courage yes, Gus no.
Reply
#4

You wish he wouldn't make the poll, but you post in it and 31 people voted???? I say post whatever you want and have fun....
Reply
#5

You can't add polls to an existing thread, can you? I've never tried so I wouldn't know. But that's why I thought it worth mentioning (because, like Dame's "from the bridge" thread, there are many duplicates) but not worth being harsh. At least there's an actual poll here to set it apart from the "pack".
Reply
#6

Who voted gus yes, courage no? Courage is the perfect song for the grey cup
Reply
#7

I thought both were really good choices... The Hip have so many songs that would be perfect for a halftime show that they probably could have screwed up only if they'd done two of their slow songs (ie. play Wheat Kings and LTR)...

Sure there are others that would have been really good, but Gus is *probably* the next single and tons of people know Courage...
Reply
#8

I wonder if whoever voted that both sucked was pulling for a little Evelyn/All Canadian medley and a dash of the acoustic Get Back Again.

Come on - (a) they didn't both suck by any objective measure and (b) even if you have a hate on for Gus, Courage is one of their all time greatest hits, so how could it be disappointing that they would play it before an enormous audience of 55,000 and 5 million at home.

[yes, I know, everyone is allowed to have opinions].

CT
Reply
#9

What I don't get is the hate-on for Gus in the first place. OK, so the solos sound Pink-Floydish, they're not my cup of tea either; but the song as a whole is classic, churning, meancing Hip, with a great lyric.

As for the poll, I thought it would be interesting to quantify the "Gus: good or bad choice?" debate. That's all.
Reply
#10

Both were great IMO. Gus is my favorite off of IBE. Can't fathom how one cannot love it.
Reply
#11

sherpahigh Wrote:Gus is my favorite off of IBE. Can't fathom how one cannot love it.

Well, I suppose that if you have a profound dislike for thick, heavy, assertive blues riffs, particularly those played with grainy distortion, which underlie poignant lyrics, and are dynamically sung with a maniacal flair to further dramatize the subject's torment, then I guess you aren't gonna love Gus. But that itself begs the question:

"Why on earth do you enjoy The Tragically Hip in the first place?"
Reply
#12

The Horrible Esthete Wrote:Well, I suppose that if you have a profound dislike for thick, heavy, assertive blues riffs, particularly those played with grainy distortion, which underlie poignant lyrics, and are dynamically sung with a maniacal flair to further dramatize the subject's torment, then I guess you aren't gonna love Gus. But that itself begs the question:

"Why on earth do you enjoy The Tragically Hip in the first place?"

So true.

Love the Zoso image by the way. Top notch. :thumb:
Reply
#13

sherpahigh Wrote:Love the Zoso image by the way. Top notch. :thumb:

Thanks, sherp...I idolize Page more than any figure in the history of modern music.

May the rune be with you!
Reply
#14

Killer Whale Tank Wrote:What I don't get is the hate-on for Gus in the first place. OK, so the solos sound Pink-Floydish, they're not my cup of tea either; but the song as a whole is classic, churning, meancing Hip, with a great lyric.

I agree that the solo is somewhat Floydian, that's a turn-on for me!!! David Gilmour is a stellar guitarist and his solos are absolutely amazing. I love Gus, especially the solo at the end.

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#15

somebody else voted for "they both suck". Even after my admonitions to the contrary!? What, do I hold no sway here?? No one is afraid enough, I guess.

also, the following was pretty slick writing:

"Well, I suppose that if you have a profound dislike for thick, heavy, assertive blues riffs, particularly those played with grainy distortion, which underlie poignant lyrics, and are dynamically sung with a maniacal flair to further dramatize the subject's torment, then I guess you aren't gonna love Gus. But that itself begs the question:

'Why on earth do you enjoy The Tragically Hip in the first place?'"

CT
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)