Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Greetings From John Kerry Country
#1

Here in Massena N.Y., they DO play The Hip on the radio, and there's a framed photo of "President Gore" on the wall of the Dem HQ. Folks here are hesitant but hopeful.

Over at the Bush camp, confidence rules the day. They won't take Manhatten, but they're focused on the big picture.

Zogby has called it for Kerry, CNN and AP think it's too close to call. I'm just happy to have HBO on the Motel Magnivox.

A nation divided? Yes, there are some here who've told me that if Bush wins: he'll trade North Dakota's children for oil. While others are certain that President Kerry will allow the "queers" to run the military.

Yet for the most part, these are friendly, moderate people. They'll admit, when pressed, that not much will change if the other guy wins. On most issues, the two parties agree, where they differ is mostly in the details.

Which leader is best for Canada? Well, one guy is a hockey playing, French speaking, protectionist. The other is a small-government, straight speaking cowboy. So, I guess it depends on your Canada.

One thing is for certain here: these are a very proud people. "9/11" is not a cliche here, at least not yet. It still resonantes in New York State. These people, no matter what political stripe, are united in the belief that the U.S.A. is the world's only indispensible nation. Good thing? Bad thing?

I wonder if The Soprano's are on...
Reply
#2

Hey Steve! Great post. What are you doin down there? Workin??
Reply
#3

Stephen Dame Wrote:These people, no matter what political stripe, are united in the belief that the U.S.A. is the world's only indispensible nation. Good thing? Bad thing?
I'll take the bait: bad thing. Self delusions do not, in this case, equate self fulfilling prophecies. There was a time when the US was the lone economic superpower, now all it is is a military one. China is the world's most powerful country in anything but a "nuclear annihilation" sense, and the US would with and collapse without China's exports and financing.
Reply
#4

I think Dame was referring to the fact that the US is looked upon as the country to turn to whenever another country needs help recovering from natural disasters and other maladies. We helped rebuild Europe out of the ashes of WW II, helped protect the West from the threat of Soviet invasion through the creation of NATO, helped rebuild Japan and helped set up the UN framework. My opinion is its a blessing and a curse to see oneself as indispensable because we have the political will to persevere and do the unpopular things that history will later judge to be necessary (ie confronting and containing communism instead of negotiating and propping up the Soviet Union) but it is also a curse because it can lead to a self-assuredness that fails to consider other viewpoints and options.
Reply
#5

VioletlightHeron Wrote:My opinion is its a blessing and a curse to see oneself as indispensable because we have the political will to persevere and do the unpopular things that history will later judge to be necessary (ie confronting and containing communism instead of negotiating and propping up the Soviet Union) but it is also a curse because it can lead to a self-assuredness that fails to consider other viewpoints and options.

I think there is certainly some truth to that, and nobody can argue with US capabilities and strength. In simple terms, the U.S. is without question the "go-to guy."

And I think your last statement is in accordance with what GT was saying: It may be that in today's world, the US will need to take a more multi-lateral approach, and at least accept that both in history (They didn't single handedly rebuild Europe, or win WW2) and in the current situation (And...FWIW: I think the G&M was WAY premature in heralding China as the "New Superpower") they are not alone.

Being down here (Hey Casey! Freelancing sucks, eh buddy!? Smile ) has re-enforced for me that a Pax-Americana, Empire-Lite, whatever you want to call it, is at least preferable to a hegemonic China or Islamist power.

We bitch about the US, but we're lucky to have them as a neighbour.

Good luck with your election today folks! Here's hoping this prize-fight doesn't have to go to the judges! Smile
Reply
#6

Stephen Dame Wrote:One thing is for certain here: these are a very proud people. "9/11" is not a cliche here, at least not yet. It still resonantes in New York State. These people, no matter what political stripe, are united in the belief that the U.S.A. is the world's only indispensible nation. Good thing? Bad thing?

Who are these people that say we are indispensible?? Everyone and everything is....

Just for the record, I am an American and I am not proud of the way things have been handled in this present administration. I don't like living in a country where others view us as bullies.
Reply
#7

Huh... so Machiavelli was right.

Aw, well... somewhere Hillary Clinton is smiling.
Reply
#8

Stephen Dame Wrote:Huh... so Machiavelli was right.

Aw, well... somewhere Hillary Clinton is smiling.

Yup, she is very happy.
Reply
#9

I'm guessing that if Bush wins tonight, McCain will be the frontrunner for the Repub nomination in 2008. I still think Dean will be back to fight for the Dem nomination in 2008.
Reply
#10

VioletlightHeron Wrote:I'm guessing that if Bush wins tonight, McCain will be the frontrunner for the Repub nomination in 2008. I still think Dean will be back to fight for the Dem nomination in 2008.

I'll put my $$$ on Rudi Giuliani for the 2008 GOP nomination.....
Reply
#11

VioletlightHeron Wrote:I'm guessing that if Bush wins tonight, McCain will be the frontrunner for the Repub nomination in 2008. I still think Dean will be back to fight for the Dem nomination in 2008.

Nahh, they look too similar....there would be mass confusion and chaos would ensue...hey, if Kerry looks too 'french'
Reply
#12

and...
Reply
#13

Stephen Dame Wrote:Huh... so Machiavelli was right.

Aw, well... somewhere Hillary Clinton is smiling.

UGH! I just realized, I've got something else to add to the list. For a while there it was "Don't blame me I voted for the guy who ran against Hillary" Now it's also "Don't blame me I voted for Kerry".

I need a virtual bumper for all of my bumperstickers since my car was repossed just the other day.

btw, Dame, when are you heading back north because 3 hours away is just TOO close to comfort Tongue :lol:
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)