hotmetal401 Wrote:direwolf74 Wrote:Huge fan here. Saw them live about a month ago in Vancouver, and they kicked ass as usual. Patterson Hood gave a nice shout-out to Gord and the Hip as well, which made it even sweeter. American Band is one of my favorite albums of the year.
Did Lydia Loveless open that show in Vancouver? She was in Toronto on her own last month and just owned the place. Still at a spot in her career where just about every song is fair game and every night is different. That she reminds me of Kathleen Edwards circa 2002 (with a touch more grit) doesn't hurt either.
American Band is on my "best of" list this year too. I've never found the Truckers to be as enjoyable an outfit as, say, Old 97's, but this album is something else. To me, it might be their best work - certainly their most relevant and powerful.
Yea, she opened the Vancouver gig. What a talent. I picked up her new CD at the show, and then about a week later I started digging into the rest of her catalogue. She's a hell of a songwriter and she f'n rocks live. The last time I was that impressed with an opening act was Sam Roberts opening for the Hip way back in 2002.
The Old 97s are one of those bands that I've never gotten into, and I'm not sure why. I was a big Uncle Tupelo/Wilco/Son Volt/Jayhawks guy back in the day, so you'd think I would have discovered them around that time, but for some reason they fell through the cracks. When Wilco started into their avant garde/experimental phase, I really started to miss that old gritty alt-country rock sound, and the Truckers filled that void for me. As soon as I heard Southern Rock Opera, I was sold. I've been following them ever since.
One thing that's always bugged me about the alt-country movement is the fact that Canadian bands like the Skydiggers, Blue Rodeo, and Cowboy Junkies never get the credit they deserve for helping to pioneer that whole scene. Growing up in the early 90s, those bands were just as influential to me as American bands like Uncle Tupelo or The Jayhawks. Going back even further, the legendary Edmonton band Jr. Gone Wild were combining country and punk-rock as early as 1986.
[youtube]CXya45nAy7g[/youtube]
Anyway, getting back to the Old 97s, what albums would you recommend I start with? I'm always up for a new (old) discovery.