Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Top 100 Canadian Songs
#1

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blog.canoe.ca/parker/2009/01/28/top_100_canadian_songs">http://blog.canoe.ca/parker/2009/01/28/ ... dian_songs</a><!-- m -->

Read the article to find out the context if you like...
But I guess some guy made a list of 100 Tunes, and clearly Das Hip are on it... but where they are on it may surprise you.

1. The Tragically Hip - New Orleans Is Sinking
2. Neil Young - Helpless
3. The Band - The Weight
4. Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi
5. Gordon Lightfoot - Canadian Railroad Trilogy
6. Stan Rogers - Northwest Passage
7. Sloan - Underwhelmed
8. The Guess Who - American Woman
9. Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
10. Neil Young - Heart of Gold
11. Blue Rodeo - Try
12. Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah
13. The Tragically Hip - Courage
14. Barenaked Ladies - Brian Wilson
15. Cowboy Junkies - Misguided Angel
16. Arcade Fire - Wake Up
17. Gordon Lightfoot - Early Morning Rain
18. Neil Young - Rockin’ In The Free World
19. Rush - The Spirit of Radio
20. The Guess Who - Share the Land
21. Blue Rodeo - Lost Together
22. Death From Above 1979 - Romantic Rights
23. Our Lady Peace - Naveed
24. Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
25. Blue Rodeo - Diamond Mine
26. Bruce Cockburn - Lovers in a Dangerous Time
27. Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind
28. Five Man Electical Band - Signs
29. Bachman Turner Overdrive - Takin’ Care Of Business
30. Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
31. The Guess Who - These Eyes
32. Blood, Sweat and Tears - Spinning Wheel
33. Hayden - Bad As They Seem
34. Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl
35. Ian and Sylvia - Four Strong Winds
36. Joni Mitchell - Woodstock
37. Rush - Closer to the Heart
38. Joni Mitchell - Both Sides, Now
39. Our Lady Peace - 4am
40. Maestro Fresh-Wes - Let Your Backbone Slide
41. k.d. lang - Constant Craving
42. The Tragically Hip - Bobcaygeon
43. Neil Young - Old Man
44. Dream Warriors - My Definition of a Boombastic Jazz Style
45. Sarah Harmer - Silver Road
46. Jeff Healey - Angel Eyes
47. The New Pornographers - Mass Romantic
48. I Mother Earth - So Gently We Go
49. Our Lady Peace - Clumsy
50. Joni Mitchell - The Circle Game
51. The Pursuit of Happiness - I’m An Adult Now
52. The Lowest of the Low - Henry Needs A New Pair of Shoes
53. Ashley MacIsaac - Sleepy Maggie
54. Robbie Robertson - Somewhere Down the Crazy River
55. Tom Cochrane - Big League
56. Rush - Tom Sawyer
57. Moist - Push
58. Billy Talent - Nothing To Lose
59. Rusty - Wake Me
60. The Northern Pikes - Teenland
61. Sarah Harmer - Basement Apartment
62. Sarah McLachlan - Hold On
63. The Tragically Hip - Wheat Kings
64. Sloan - Coax Me
65. Spirit of the West - Home For A Rest
66. Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
67. Crash Test Dummies - Superman’s Song
68. Stars - Ageless Beauty
69. The Tragically Hip - Ahead By A Century
70. The Demics - New York City
71. Barenaked Ladies - If I Had $1,000,000
72. 54-40 - I Go Blind
73. Bryan Adams - Summer of ‘69
74. The New Pornographers - Use It
75. The Watchmen - All Uncovered
76. Treble Charger - Red
77. Sam Roberts - Brother Down
78. Randy Bachman - Prairie Town
79. Sarah McLachlan - Angel
80. Tom Cochrane - Boy Inside The Man
81. Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know
82. Skydiggers - I Will Give You Everything
83. Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
84. Rough Trade - High School Confidential
85. Hot Hot Heat - Bandages
86. Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night
87. Loverboy - Working For The Weekend
88. Metric - Combat Baby
89. Rusty - Misogyny
90. k-os - Heaven Only Knows
91. Tokyo Police Club - Nature Of The Experiment
92. Stars - Your Ex-Lover Is Dead
93. Rheostatics - Record Body Count
94. Odds - Heterosexual Man
95. The Gandharvas - The First Day of Spring
96. The Diodes - Tired of Waking Up Tired
97. Feist - Mushaboom
98. Gowan - A Criminal Mind
99. Grapes Of Wrath - All The Things I Wasn’t
100. Max Webster - A Million Vacations

I don't agree with most of it...
But I just figured I'd post it.
(Heterosexual Man at #94? Really?...
Billy Talent... really?
NOIS...#1 of all time??? Really?)

2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Reply
#2

Toronto Mike is an avid Hip fan. I'd be surprised if he isn't a Hipbase regular.
Reply
#3

Not a bad list. I consider myself a Neil Young fan but I hardly even know the song "Helpless". That's the major flaw, besides being about 10 years out of date - "Three Days Grace" deserves at least one song...
Reply
#4

Brother Down should be way higher than number 77! Shafted.
Reply
#5

I would have picked any other of the Hip songs on that list as number one rather than NOIS, although a great song I just don't think their best. He probably picked it due to the popularity of the song.

want to be a nobody without peer
want to be a thought that's never done
want to shake your faith in human nature
want to break the hearts of everyone
want to be your wheezing screen door
want to be your stars of Algonquin
want to be your roaring floorboard
want to break the hearts of everyone
Reply
#6

The "Good Ol' Hockey Game" should be on that puppy. :o
Reply
#7

golden_rim Wrote:Not a bad list. I consider myself a Neil Young fan but I hardly even know the song "Helpless". That's the major flaw, besides being about 10 years out of date - "Three Days Grace" deserves at least one song...

Confusedcratch:

Anyway, here are my top 100, in no particular order, based on how I'm feeling at the moment:

(NEIL YOUNG)
Cortez The Killer
Hey Hey, My My
Danger Bird
Heart Of Gold
Harvest Moon
Don't Cry No Tears
Keep On Rockin' .....
Powderfinger
Cinnamon Girl
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Like A Hurricane
The Needle and the Damage Done
Cowgirl In The Sand
After the Gold Rush
Tonight's The Night
When You Dance, I Can Really Love
Old Man
Southern Man
Long May You Run
Sugar Mountain
Revolution Blues


(HIP)
Tiger The Lion
NOIS
Blow At High Dough
Cordelia
Bring It All Back
Long Time Running
Pigeon Camera
Grace, Too
Thugs
Nautical Disaster
So Hard Done By
Escape Is At Hand....
Poets
Bobcaygeon
Giftshop
Stay
It's A Good Life...
Gus...
Yer Not The Ocean

If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Lost Together - Blue Rodeo
The Hideout - Sarah Harmer
You Were Here - Sarah Harmer
It Makes No Difference - The Band
The Shape I'm In - The Band
Silver Road - Sarah Harmer
Around This Corner - Sarah Harmer
I Love This Town - Joel Plaskett
Down At The Khyber - Joel Plaskett
Work Out Fine - Joel Plaskett
True Patriot Love - Joel Plaskett
Happen Now - Joel Plaskett
Put Out Your Lights - Matthew Good
Alert Status Red - Matthew Good
Use It - The New Pornographers
The Bleeding Heart Show - The New Pornographers
Streets of Fire - The New Pornographers
Hasn't Hit Me Yet - Blue Rodeo
Rena - Blue Rodeo
Bulletproof - Blue Rodeo
Tall Trees - Matt Mays & El Torpedo
City Of Lakes - Matt Mays & El Torpedo
Thank U - Alanis Morissette
That I Would Be Good - Alanis Morissette
Perfect - Alanis Morissette
All I Really Want - Alanis Morissette
You Learn - Alanis Morissette
Ironic - Alanis Morissette
Closer To The Heart - Rush
The Spirit of Radio - Rush
Tom Sawyer - Rush
Limelight - Rush
You And The Candles - Hawksley Workman
Jealous of Your Cigarette - Hawksley Workman
We Will Still Need A Song - Hawksley Workman
11th Fret - Gord Downie
Chancellor - Gord Downie
Into the Night - Gord Downie
Figment - Gord Downie
Trick Rider - Gord Downie
Vancouver Divorce - Gord Downie
The Gate - Sam Roberts
Don't Walk Away Eileen - Sam Roberts
Lies to Me - 54-40
Ocean Pearl - 54-40
She La - 54-40
The Hazards of Sitting Beneath Palm Trees - Hayden
Bad As They Seem - Hayden
Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell
Four Strong WInds - Ian Tyson
Sweet Ones - Sarah Slean
If It Feels Good Do It - Sloan
The Rest Of My Life - Sloan
The Good In Everyone - Sloan
The Lines You Amend - Sloan
In This Life - Chantal Kreviazuk
Surrounded - Chantal Kreviazuk
Green Apples - Chantal Kreviazuk

Is that 100? It's close, anyway. :lol:
Reply
#8

golden_rim Wrote:"Three Days Grace" deserves at least one song...

Finger Twelve (as I prefer to call them) deserve to be run over by a bus.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)