Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Can anyone identify this bootleg?
#1

About 10 years ago a friend of mine gave me a Hip bootleg which was said to be 'Glastonbury'. I recently disovered, though, that there was little chance that it was actually recorded there.

There are 6 tracks: The Last of the Unplucked Gems, Fifty Mission Cap, Pigeon Camera, At The Hundredth Meridian, New Orleans Is Sinking, and Little Bones.

Interestingly there are songs from 'Day For Night' within these songs, so Last of the Unplucked Gems features some lyrics from Thugs, Pigeon Camera features Scared, Hundredth Meridian has Emergency, while NOIS has Nautical Disaster.

The quality is generally OK. It's stereo though it is a cassette copy of a cassette copy, so it's not perfect.

I've checked the Setlist Archive and listened to several bootlegs from 1992-1994 without success. Can anyone assist?
Reply
#2

http://hipbase.com/archive/concert.php?id=558

The played the Glastonbury Festival July 14, 1994
Reply
#3

at least part of that gig is from Tree's in Dallas if not all of it....if memory serves....

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#4

just a side note, the HIp never played Glastonbury, not sure why the person named that disk that..

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#5

Summiteer Wrote:at least part of that gig is from Tree's in Dallas if not all of it....if memory serves....

Part of it is from the '95 Dallas show..."a room within a room within a room" I would love to hear the entire show in this quality.

"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
Reply
#6

Dire Wolf Wrote:
Summiteer Wrote:at least part of that gig is from Tree's in Dallas if not all of it....if memory serves....

Part of it is from the '95 Dallas show..."a room within a room within a room" I would love to hear the entire show in this quality.

Yup 8-12-95 Trees' Dallas, I'm listening to it rite now

Locked
Springtime
IOD
Scared
fully
Nautical

are from that Trees gig,the rest i'm not sure. as well the show your friend gave you is way different from mine,mine dont Gems,Bones, anyone know what show he might have, Hundredth with Emergency Confusedcratch: unless I've fried circuits I don't think i've heard that before,Gems within Thugs? is it soundboard quality?

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#7

Hello everyone, thanks for the responses. I would date it around 1993 - partly because they seem to be trying out 'new' songs and partly because some of the arrangements are similar to a bootleg I downloaded from 'The Hundredth Meridian' site labelled '1993-xx-xx - Milan, Italy'.

To give you some more details:

Last of the Unplucked Gems starts off with Gord saying (as the bass fades in): "Does anybody hear that? I could have sworn that I heard the snapping of a twig or some birds around the feeder, or something like that, just small...Evolution du lon(?)" Towards the end of the song (around 3:20) Gord sings "I do the rubbing, she does the detail" a few times before a "Ruby, Ruby, Honey are you mad at your mad at your man" a couple of times - all the while staying in the tune of Gems.

This goes quickly in to Fifty Mission Cap: Gord introduces it as "A death in battle".

Pigeon Camera: "When I was younger, I wanted to work for the CIA; this was my first invention".

Over the mid-song instrumental/solo, (after 'Contingency plan') Gord sings: "I can make you scared if you ask me to, I can make you scared anytime you want to, but I'm not prepared, If I have to, I can make you scared if you want me to, I'm not prepared, but if I have to, Once..more than a million pieces of art, Once in Russia more than a million pieces of art, Shipped out to the woods to save them from the Nazi march" and riffs on the words "million pieces of art", "looks good" ", "Make you scared, not prepared" and I can't quite make out everything around the words "...interest...destroyer sits out in the bay"

At the Hundredth Meridian: "Here's a line of longtitude that runs through to Texas, and Random, Manatova(?) and Bangkok and the Black Heath. It's the Hundredth Meridian, a pesky little band of evil, circling the globe, circling the globe. The water's on fire, water's on fire".

During the instrumental, Gord sings: "Sticking it up, Searching, Let us in to a shadowy table by the kitchen, Search all night, (something) punch, His finger starts to wiggle and landscapes emerge, make it better, faster, make it better, faster" and then a few random things before going back into "If I die of vanity......"

New Orleans is Sinking": "See William Goldman on TV last night?"

The song features the whole of 'Nautical Disaster' in the middle - though with a smoother transition beween the songs than I have heard in any other version. The main difference from other versions is the lyric "To be systematic, you gotta be hated and tested and fated and (somthing), below - kicked off our pantleg, kicked off of our pantleg, and we headed for home"

Little Bones: "Here's a song about a cat that lived in Romania (something) for about a week, so a cat can trap, a cat can in fact save the world. Here is Little Bones out there, a nice little cat. It's the name of a cute and cuddly, yet complex...very vigilant little cat."

As you can see, some of the lyrics differ from those on the Day for Night album, and only Nautical Disaster and any hint of it's own music.

The sound is possibly soundboard, maybe FM radio. Unfortunatly my copy is a third (possibly fourth) generation copy, so it isn't great quality, but is still very listenable.

Once again, thanks for all the replies so far.
Reply
#8

I'd bet its stuff from ARA 93, I don't recognize anything from that. It sounds pretty fuckin wicked! its on a cassette tape you say?

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#9

Yes it's on cassette, although I don't know what the original source is. My friend had it on a copied cassette too, he'd got it from a cousin who had studied in Canada for a year.

I put it onto CD about a year ago, and discovered that the cassette clicked occasionally - not so much that it's annoying - I tried to use the cassette again this week and discovered it had become far more 'clicky'.

The concert itself is excellent, and I've yet to hear a better one (although that could be because this bootleg was my introduction to the Hip).

If anyone's interested in it, I could upload it somewhere.
Reply
#10

Please post it to thehiptracker.com as a torrent. Thanks!
Reply
#11

chris Wrote:Please post it to thehiptracker.com as a torrent. Thanks!

I have converted the CD to FLAC, made in into a RAR file, then created a Torrent file from that, but when I tried to upload it at thehiptracker.com it said: invalid announce url! must be <b>http://www.thehiptracker.com/announce.php</b>

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.
Reply
#12

No need for the RAR.

And when you create the .torrent file you need to enter in the correct Announce URL. This is a step in the torrent creation process.

The Announce URL for our tracker is: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thehiptracker.com/announce.php">http://www.thehiptracker.com/announce.php</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#13

It's up! Sorry for the confusion, it's my first torrent.

Unfortunately, the software I used to make it into a Torrent (BitTorrent complete dir 1.0.1) would not create a torrent file from a folder, instead it would create six individual torrent files of the folder's contents - hence the use of RAR.

If anyone can suggest better software (or a way to create a torrent from a folder), I'd be grateful.

For now, enjoy the concert.
Reply
#14

Azureus will make the .torrent files.

Thanks for posting it... now all you need to do is get it seeding.
Reply
#15

Hopefully last question - how do I seed? (As I said, this is all new to me)
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)