Posts: 605
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
It's out on Tuesday. I've heard it quite a few times, and while I wasn't crazy about it at first (that's relative to the rest of their albums, of course, and not all of music) it is slowly taking over, and I've been humming one song or another from the album for the last couple days.
Anyway, since I know we've got a few fans on here, I thought I'd start a thread for thoughts.
You know, since a new New Pornos album is like Christmas in August.
Posts: 6,675
Threads: 359
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
I'll definitely be picking this up after work on Tuesday. I can't wait to hear it!
Posts: 1,577
Threads: 35
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
thanks for the tip-off; I had been wondering when the next one was coming out.
I had both Twin Cinema and Mass Romantic spinning at various points last week.
ct
Posts: 1,172
Threads: 49
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
Anyone pick this up yet?
I probably should just to support the band errrrrrrrrrrr record label, but I'd like to hear some reviews, just for the sake of continuing this thread.
Posts: 605
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
I've got it. It's lacking a certain something that their first three records had in large doses. I think it might be the huge payoffs at the end of songs, like in "The Bleeding Heart Show", "Slow Descent into Alcoholism" and "Testament to Youth In Verse". So for that reason, I'd probably put it fourth out of their four albums.
However, melody for melody, hook for hook, they're still really great. I don't think it's the high point that Twin Cinema was, but I'd say it's worth your $13.99, give or take.
Posts: 6,675
Threads: 359
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
I agree with Lilbones. It's a solid effort, but it doesn't quite live up to the other albums. Still though, there are some great tunes on there. It's definitely worth buying.
Posts: 1,577
Threads: 35
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
That was a pretty fair review from lilbones based on my 3 or so spins through it. I have been humming the songs in my head today ("... and all the old showstoppers ..."). I only spent 12.99 on it at HMV and it's definitely worth that.
I love Myriad Harbour, and after a couple more listens it will be etched into my psyche ("... who cares; you always end up in the cit-y ...")
In any event, lilbones listed my three favourites songs, so I'm bound to agree with him.
ct
Posts: 605
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
The closest it comes to one of those insane endings, I think, is the last track, "The Spirit of Giving." Bejar's non-sensical rant over top the other Pornographers is growing on me at quite the fast rate.
Also, I think most of the tracks are pretty good. My Rights Versus Yours, Challengers, Myriad Harbour, Mutiny, I Promise You are all highlights in my eyes.
But like I said, it just seems like it's missing *something*. Not as insane as Mass Romantic, consistent as Electric Version or epic as Twin Cinema.
I really like it, but it just doesn't pump joy into my soul as the other three did. And I think that's what they do when they're at their best, no matter the tempo of the song (a slower song like "Streets of Fire" does that for me).
Posts: 6,675
Threads: 359
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
Here's a great review of the album that pretty much nails it. This album is gonna be a grower for sure.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wc05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:h9foxz9gldse">http://wc05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=a ... foxz9gldse</a><!-- m -->
Posts: 40
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2007
Reputation:
0
I like it but like most of you think it could have been better. However the title track is awesome (Neko's voice is just the best) and I also really like 'Unguided' alot.