Posts: 1,605
Threads: 157
Joined: Aug 2006
Reputation:
0
National Public Radio (NPR) is a national non-profit radio network. It is essential news and talk programing for smart people here in the States. I have been considering suggesting a story about The Tragically Hip to the evening drive time program "All things considered". My concern is selling the story on its cultural relevance. I don't think I should use The old "best band you never heard of" angel. The release of World Container on March sixth and the US tour provide a great opportunity for the programs producers access to the band and its fan base. I am hoping some of y'all might be able to help me with the development of a pitch. Any ideas? :roll:
Posts: 1,211
Threads: 99
Joined: Aug 2002
Reputation:
0
I'd pitch it as a success story more than anything else...I remember hearing an interview with Robby and Gord Sinclair in which they seemed clearly outline their position in the music industry these days...They said they didn't really stand a chance t'be "Front-rakced" against the likes of the Britneys and Christinas of the world...And yet the band perserves, not charging outlandish prices (Though some would debate) for a ticket to a pretentiousless rock and roll show...And who can name a band that's played alongside the likes of Zeppelin, the Stones and the Who, and yet they decide t'bring young Canadian bands who need the press along with them on tour...Seeems like the kind of uplifting story people on their drive home from a shitty day at work could use...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Posts: 282
Threads: 11
Joined: Feb 2006
Reputation:
0
do so.
they keep the concerts they host in their archives (accessible by the internet) - i found a kick ass james brown show, not to mention one on sonic youth