skippy the wonder dog Wrote:emperor penguin Wrote:Roy-at-tth Wrote:Rather, I have an issue, much like Human Rights Watch, with the trial itself. Certainly committed in haste, with little legitimacy or impartiality. All fundamental tenets. He certainly was a terrible person - but this was a failure of justice...perhaps not in the end but in the means to that end. Especially in a place where justice needs to be sold and perceived as legitimate like iraq.
What??????? He's lucky he even got a trial at all, they should have killed him as soon as they found him.
Yes, that's right. We should shoot prisoners of war, because that's how civilized peoples behave.
That Saddam would be found guilty is a moot point, but I agree with Roy that that not finding him guilty in a fair trial, rather than a kangaroo court, delegitimizes the entire process.
If we're going to deal with war criminals, we have to do it legitimately, or we become war criminals ourselves -- which is what you are if you shoot Saddam out of hand when you capture him.
But let's face it: we aren't really interested in addressing Saddam's crimes against humanity, but simply in getting rid of him. If we wanted to address his crimes against humanity, we'd be investigating those who aided and abetted him. Such as, for example, those who provided technical advice on how to use chemical weapons effectively, and targeting data based on satellite imagery to aid in using said weapons, during the war with Iran. Or those who flew to Baghdad to meet him after he gassed the Kurds at Halabja, to reassure him that gassing women and children would not adversely affect his relationship with certain states....
Oh, well. Since this is the season of peace on earth and goodwill to Hipbase, we won't get into that. So f**k Saddam; let's remain good moral relativists and shoot him on sight while patting ourselves on the back over how righteous we are.
Skippy pretty much explained what my argument is in those first paragraphs.
But first things first - Emperor, your sig is awesome and I always wanted to tell you that. Go Habs Go! lol And I do understand the 'just kill the mofo' mentality, especially with someone who is so obviously guilty.
My point is that the idea of an impartial trial and due process, even for the worst offenders, is an example of that 'civilized' western thinking that's exactly what's trying to be enforced in Iraq's 'democracy'. It undermines that when Saddam is sentenced to be killed without due respect to those principles we hold high and are ourselves trying to teach.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1573220,00.html">http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 20,00.html</a><!-- m --> - this kind of outlines a bit of where I'm coming from (Although, I'm not sure he'll become a martyr). Mainly this paragraph:
"It doesn't matter to the Sunni that Saddam was guilty of the crime he was charged with: the massacre of 140 Shi'a villagers in 1982 in reprisal for an attempt on Saddam's life. At the risk of oversimplification, the Sunnis think the Shi'a villagers deserved it. It was that kind of rough justice that Saddam used to keep Iraq together."
That is kind of analagous to what's happening here - It doesn't matter to the west (well, america) that due processes occurs - the killing of saddam was in reprisal for the killing of 140 Shi'a villagers (and likely the Kurds - even though we never even managed to get to that trial, and oil) . It seems that everyone just thought that he deserved it...but that 'rough justice' shows no real change...which I hope is kind of the point. Change.
By enforcing justice in the truest impartial sense for EVERYONE, even this bastard, then it's a symbol of a universal maxim, that justice must be equal and blind (uhh..) for all. I think that's Something Iraqi's, Ba'athists, Islamists, all groups need to see happen - and by not having it happen it further delegitimizes Western authority in, not just iraq, but the middle east as a whole.
I hope I did some justice (no pun intended) to where I'm coming from. I'm not the greatest writer, and am really bad at articulating my opinion consicely - I really gotta work on that.
Have an awesome night emperor, skippy and all the rest of you! All the best in the new year. Be safe!