Posts: 1,005
Threads: 73
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
I've been a long time New York Rangers fan and Mark Messiser is bound for retirement very soon although he has not made an official annoucement regarding his retirement. He needs 6 goals to make 700 and only 13 more games to pass Gordie Howe on the all time games played list.
I'm wondering if anyone has heard or read anything about what his plans are? I've tried emailing the New York Rangers to get info but nothing. He's on the un-restricted free agent list. I also heard that Kevin Lowe might sign him for one year so he could retire an Oiler but I know his home is New York.
Anyone have any info?
Posts: 314
Threads: 43
Joined: Jun 2003
Reputation:
0
won't be back in New York...I've heard he's going to hang em up if no decent offer comes through...maybe Edmonton...that'd be a fitting place to go and achieve those milestones!
Posts: 164
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
Emailing the Rangers, hehe, should've asked them what went wrong during the past ten years
Glen Sather might still be on his fishing expedition, maybe that's why you didn't get a response
Posts: 582
Threads: 39
Joined: Aug 2002
Reputation:
0
I see him ending up his career in either Edmonton (with Lowe; most likely) or Phoenix (with Gretz)...either way, I'd be shocked if he returns to Manhattan...
Posts: 1,005
Threads: 73
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
I like that idea of going to play with Phoenix because of Gretzky. They've always been great friends so that would be very cool indeed. I'm just hoping for one more season outta him where ever he goes!!
Posts: 5,352
Threads: 277
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
thehip11 Wrote:I like that idea of going to play with Phoenix because of Gretzky. They've always been great friends so that would be very cool indeed. I'm just hoping for one more season outta him where ever he goes!!
How weird would that be, all those years playing together and your old team-mate is now your coach? I think its a cool idea, go play for Wayne and hopefully go out on a high note with a good friend with you every step of the way. Messier was with Gretzky his last year, how fitting would it be to turn it around.
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Posts: 3,394
Threads: 118
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
Didn't Messier retire in 1997?
Posts: 5,352
Threads: 277
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
cferneyh Wrote:Didn't Messier retire in 1997?
Are you suggesting he should have? :lol: If your serious, I dont remember him retiring and pulling an MJ.

cratch:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Posts: 3,394
Threads: 118
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
I was in Vancouver for the vaunted Messier era. He may not have "officially" retired then, but for all intents and purposes he was retired.
And I remember when he went back to the Rag$ and "guaranteed" they'd make the playoffs. I guess he just wasn't specific in which year.
Posts: 3,777
Threads: 62
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
I hope Messier never retires. He was washed up in Vancouver but the guy should play forever. I like it when the old guys keep going. Hey, Gordie Howe played in his fifties. How bout it Mess?
Posts: 4,352
Threads: 136
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
i think he should go back to Edmonton...the Rangers will probably end up doing even worse than they did last season so I don't think he's going to want any part of that sinking ship...
Posts: 4,352
Threads: 136
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
well, i suppose the ship sank long ago eh? you could probably substitute the word "stinking" in there too...
Posts: 1,209
Threads: 53
Joined: Sep 2003
Reputation:
0
"Moose" Messier calls it quits
Mark Messier retires after 25 NHL seasons
Canadian Press
Monday, September 12, 2005
NEW YORK - Mark Messier is calling it quits. The 44-year-old announced his retirement Monday, ending a career that stretched 25 NHL seasons and produced six Stanley Cup rings and the second most points in NHL history.
He called it a tough decision, because he was still healthy. But he said the fact he could leave the game in good condition also influenced his decision.
The two-time league MVP (1990 and '92) made the announcement on a conference call Monday, the start of training camp.
"For me it's been a long career, I achieved a lot," he said. "There was really nothing left for me to achieve, it was just time for me to move aside and go on to something else."
Messier played for Edmonton, Vancouver and most recently the Rangers in a stellar career that featured 694 goals, 1,193 assists and 1,887 points in 1,756 games.
Known as the Moose, Messier was renowned for his leadership skill. He and Wayne Gretzky led the Oilers in their halcyon years and then Messier brought the Cup to the Big Apple as a Ranger.
The Edmonton native joined the Oilers for the 1979-80 season after stints in the World Hockey Association with Indianapolis and Cincinnati.
Messier said he had talks with the Oilers about returning to Edmonton but opted to consider only new York and then, ultimately to retire.
The Rangers plan to retire Messier's number on Jan. 12.
Posts: 1,005
Threads: 73
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
Such saw news. The whole story is plastered over the Rangers and NHL websites. I had this sneaky suspicion something would be announced soon and to my sad surprise, I went to nhl.com today and saw the news. Congrats on one heck of a career mess.