Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

the greatest "sides" in rock
#1

side 3 of The Wall is breathtaking in its brilliance...Hey you, is there anybody out there, nobody home, vera, bring the boys back home, and comfortably numb...wow
Reply
#2

how 'bout Side 2 of "Abbey Road"?

helluva finish for a band.
Reply
#3

Spycouple Wrote:how 'bout Side 2 of "Abbey Road"?

helluva finish for a band.

no shit...that's called going out in style
Reply
#4

For those not in the know ("Hmmm... Beatles... yeah, i think i've heard of 'em"), here's a cut and paste review from an amazon poster that describes Side 2 of Abbey Road pretty well...
Quote:Starting at "You Never Give Me Your Money," the album transforms into a hot-potato medley of one inherently melodic song after another, as if the guys went composition-crazy and miraculously melded some of their best songs into one boiling pot and spewed everything out in one shockingly creative assembly line of tracks that just blend together magically. It's like a movie score with words or a spur-of-the moment "best of" mixture. Undoubtedly, Paul McCartney and John Lennon deserve the lion's share of credit for creating some of the best songs in the history of rock and roll in a span of twenty minutes on the second side of one album. The guys sound excited, joyful, happy to be alive, inspiring, crazy, and willing to experiment.

Pretty much sums it up.

source: Karl Rove... just kidding! I'm sure even he's heard of the Beatles (while burning their albums in the 60s).

The review is actually from some dude named Sal Neudo. You can find it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm/...52-6224737

What's shocking about Abbey Road, as eluded to above, is when you consider how many classic Beatles songs there are throughout their catalogue. Then, to finish it up, they decide to rattle off this 20-minute suite just in case anyone didn't think they had it in them, as if to go, "yeah, we could make Dark Side of the Moon, if we felt like it, but let's call it a day instead."

I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but Abbey Road (especially Side 2) is something special.
Reply
#5

Well lookee here...

another review!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6584&highlight=abbey">http://www.hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=abbey</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#6

The thing is, where do you start with the Beatles? Sgt. Peppers...that's nothing but sheer beauty. White Album, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Help...all masterfully crafted and brilliant in their own respects. Pretty damn amazing for only 8 years of recording.
Reply
#7

I don't know about sides, because I have never heard either of these on vinyl, but I have always had a sweet spot for Supertramp, Crime Of The Century, and even more so for Breakfast In America. I had a babysitter who used to be a huge Supertramp fan in the 70's, and she used to play both of these albums when she would come over...I think that must be where my love for them developed. I bought both quite a while ago on CD and every so often I will pop one of them in my player and turn it up really loud(if possible). If you own either, dust them off and listen to either from start to finish...such a treat!
Reply
#8

Spycouple Wrote:Well lookee here...

another review!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6584&highlight=abbey">http://www.hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=abbey</a><!-- m -->

i've been really into vinyl this year i guess!!!
Reply
#9

Rush...Caress of Steel sideII. Come to think of it, Rush 2112 side I is pretty freakin' awesome as well.

S.

1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
Reply
#10

How about side 1, Zeppelin IV??? or side 1, Physical Graffitti? (or like they say in Fast Times at Ridgemount High, Zeppelin VI)
Reply
#11

houses of the holy-side 1
Reply
#12

Either side of the Police's Synchronicity.

Side 1 is more interesting; Side 2's got the hits.


This brings up the question of "What album side marks the end of the "sides" era, i.e. before CDs ultimately reshaped the album listening experience?"

?

I'm thinking Side 1 of the Joshua Tree might be a good candidate for the "Swan Side" of the vinyl era, but I had it on CD or tape and wasn't sold on the U2 hype of the day (i.e. I didn't have to have the record) . Nevertheless, it's hard to top as a string of five 4+minute songs back-to-back at the front or the finish of an album (my working definition for a "side").
Reply
#13

Spycouple Wrote:I'm thinking Side 1 of the Joshua Tree might be a good candidate for the "Swan Side" of the vinyl era, but I had it on CD or tape and wasn't sold on the U2 hype of the day. Nevertheless, it's hard to top as a string of five 4+minute songs back-to-back at the front or the finish of an album (my working definition for a "side").

I'd also vote for that...good call. That marks a distinct break when I stopped buying cassetts and started buying cds.
Reply
#14

I think the last tape I bought was The Hips EP.
Reply
#15

WESTSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)