Posts: 1,553
Threads: 386
Joined: May 2005
Reputation:
0
As we all know, The Tragically Hip gained most of their popularity when they received airplay on the radio in the mid to late 1980's. Every fan of the Tragically Hip experiences a certain giddyness when they hear their all-time favourite Hip tune over the airwaves. I believe we should share our favourite local radio stations in which we are most likely to hear a Tragically Hip tune being played.
For myself I would say Power 97 in Winnipeg, Manitoba would be the most frequent player of the Tragically Hip. Every weekday morning at 11am Central (12pm EST), a segment called "Power Hip Pocket" has Hip fans phone or email their favourite Hip track for the day. One request will be played and radios across the province are simultaneously cranked up. You can listen live to Power 97 over the internet at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.power97.com">http://www.power97.com</a><!-- m -->, or Star Choice and Bell Express Vu Satellite also carry their streams.
Posts: 3,175
Threads: 692
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
Yea, power does play alot of Hip, good radio station. Do you mean the mid to late 1990's?
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Posts: 1,623
Threads: 107
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
i listen to power 97 all the time on the satellite through my stereo
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
Posts: 3,827
Threads: 363
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
i've stated it before, but my station 98.3 CIFM in kamloops plays a ton of hip...very proud to play any hip request
Posts: 3,220
Threads: 297
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
It would be tough for anybody anywhere to beat 97.7 HTZ FM out of St. Catherines. Not only do they play the hell outta the boys, but they play live stuff, rarities and both Roxy rants on a very regular basis.
Before I left T.O. for Ottawa in '99, 97.7 was doing "Hip Half hours" where they'd play nothing but the Hip for 30 minutes. In addition, they'd do a "Hip Clip" at 6:00pm every night.
And they put a ton of promotional effort into the PP tour... I've still got the "I saw The Hip rock Southern Ontario and Western New York" stickers and condoms they were handing out.
Posts: 331
Threads: 12
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
A new radio station in midwestern ontario 94.5 the Bull plays the hip more often then any station I know, they play everything from trickle down to cordelia, to scared its crazy. Also a few days ago, they had a vote through email of who everyone thought the best performances from live8 were. The Hip and Pink Floyd won and each had a half an hour of their live tunes played back to back. I believe it was mostly stuff from the LBU album but it was still wicked to hear the uncensored version of Grace too at 6pm driving home from work.
the website is <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.945thebull.ca">www.945thebull.ca</a><!-- w -->
Posts: 1,429
Threads: 76
Joined: Jun 2005
Reputation:
0
KROCK 105.7 in Kingston baby!
MAv.
Posts: 481
Threads: 68
Joined: Aug 2004
Reputation:
0
The only time I ever hear the Hip down here is on RadioParadise.com.
One time 96 Wave in Charleston, SC was having a fundrasier - where you would donate 50 bucks the the chariety the thing was for and they would play a request.
I got our company to donate and all I got was a studio NOIS - :roll: But, it was cool anyway..
Posts: 93
Threads: 4
Joined: Aug 2002
Reputation:
0
I'm glad that things have changed in Kingston. I can remember back in 1995 the only way to hear the Hip over the radio in their hometown was to listen to a Belleville classic rock station.
Ahead by a Century was the huge hot single and not a single Kingston station was playing it.
Posts: 84
Threads: 1
Joined: Aug 2004
Reputation:
0
Y108, and 97.7 hip fm, both in south western ont, play the most hip in our region.
Posts: 2,571
Threads: 145
Joined: May 2003
Reputation:
0
I'm likin this Q107 outta Cowtownia, play alot of classic and Hip to boot, the Ktown station seemed not to play as good a song selection as the Q107......
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!