Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Live 8 (SOLD OUT)
#46

I'm not one to agree with Noel Gallagher on a regular basis, but I really do have to agree that this whole concert idea is a little silly....do you really think that any "awareness" that may be raised between now and July 2nd will be parlayed into some active, tangible results?

Take a look at us so far, we, and many others are simply arguing, rather discussing, who we think should be on/off the bill and not about the fact that there are starving people in the world. Hell, if they would have charged $20 bucks a ticket and have ALL proceeds going to African AIDS relief or a cause like that, it would make a lot more sense. Can they not create the same "awareness" while raising money at the same time???

I hope that I am wrong, because I think that Geldof's head and heart are in the right place, and this truly is a great cause, but I think it was not capitalized on enough.

Just my $.02

Goulet!!!
Reply
#47

robert goulet Wrote:Hell, if they would have charged $20 bucks a ticket and have ALL proceeds going to African AIDS relief or a cause like that, it would make a lot more sense. Can they not create the same "awareness" while raising money at the same time???


I was thinking the exact same thing...you're absolutely right.
Reply
#48

Quote:I was thinking the exact same thing...you're absolutely right.

I agree, if roughly through all the concerts there are 500,000 people at $20 each that would be $10 million......$10 million is a good start and can buy a lot of food and help out a lot more people than just awarness.
Reply
#49

Chris Tanz Wrote:Am I the only person around here with zero interest in this concert?
no, I have zero interest as well. If anyone thinks these concerts will change anything is in for a big letdown, awareness may be raised but how many people going to these concerts will go home right after and write a cheque to charity and send it away? Poverty and hunger will never go away in my lifetime, and its sad because it could very easily be prevented. No one should ever go hungry.

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#50

this show is fucking kaif.
Reply
#51

The idea is a good one - it really is. I am sure organizations such as World Vision and Amnesty International will be promoted at the events. However, these concerts are really only an opportunity for people like Bob Geldof and Bono to enhance their raging messianic complexes. They will make no real difference. However, the music should be fantastic.

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#52

It looks like Neil Young will be added to the Live 8 concert in Barrie... as reported on CTV News this evening.
Reply
#53

chris Wrote:It looks like Neil Young will be added to the Live 8 concert in Barrie... as reported on CTV News this evening.


Awesome. I had a feeling he'd show up on the bill eventually.
Reply
#54

Rapper DMC & members of Aerosmith and The Cars were just added: National Post story
Reply
#55

Hey Hipbasers going to live 8, have an awesome time...I didn't get tickets but im goin up to Ottawa to have a blast,

remember, take lots of photo's so I can live vicariously through you!

and scream at neil young to play Bandit....

and finally, I have this suspicion the Hip are gonna break out No Threat at the show, so record that song!
Reply
#56

I'm going to take my audio gear, so I'll do what I can. The tickets only say NO GLASS CONTAINERS; nothing about recorders or cameras.
Reply
#57

Chris,
To save you and other tapers some potential grief, I found this on the Ticketmaster website:

General Rules:
FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL ATTENDING LIVE 8 THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE NOT ALLOWED INTO PARK PLACE:
• NO UMBRELLAS OR LAWN CHAIRS,
• NO PROFESSIONAL CAMERAS, VIDEOS OR AUDIO RECORDING DEVICES
• NO ALCOHOL, CANS OR BOTTLES OR HARD SIDED COOLERS
• NO OBJECT THAT CAN BE USED AS A PROJECTILE
• NO RE-ENTRY

Just thought I'd give you a heads up
Reply
#58

Thanks D. Since my gear is anything but professional, I'll still give it a try. Stranger things have happened.
Reply
#59

Just an FYI to add...
http://www.tourismbarrie.com/about-barri...s-release/
Reply
#60

I was trying to find out when the live 8 concert will start. Does anyone know? Does 7 am sound right? Anyone have any info on the lineup times or anything like that?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)