Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

according to Spin magazine..
#1

Here are the 10 Greatest Albums of the past 20 years.. (Im sure most of you have been waiting years for this) well the time has arrived..

Radiohead — OK Computer
Public Enemy — It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Nirvana — Nevermind
Pavement — Slanted And Enchanted
The Smiths — The Queen Is Dead
Pixies — Surfer Rosa
De La Soul — 3 Feet High And Rising
Prince — Sign O' The Times
PJ Harvey — Rid Of Me
NWA — Straight Outta Compton

originally taken from here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/06/2006.cfm">http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/06/2006.cfm</a><!-- m -->

As usual I totally disagree with that list, but what do I know? Im just a dumb Hip fan trying to make it in this life :roll: :lol:

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#2

Having only ever listened to 2 of the albums on the list (#s 1 & 3), I really can't pass judgement, except to agree that Ok Computer is probably deserving of the 1st spot.
Reply
#3

good to see ok computer #1
Reply
#4

Am I alone here, or does anyone else think Radiohead are overly precious and pretentious? I think they got so consumed with technical brilliance and wizardry that they sucked all the heart and soul out of their music. That's just my opinion, of course, I could be wrong.
Reply
#5

j-monster Wrote:Am I alone here, or does anyone else think Radiohead are overly precious and pretentious? I think they got so consumed with technical brilliance and wizardry that they sucked all the heart and soul out of their music. That's just my opinion, of course, I could be wrong.

I totally used to feel the same way you do, that Radiohead is all electrical fanangling with guitars. I completely changed opinion all of a sudden when I found Paranoid Android in my iTunes library (I think I got it from Big Shiny Tunes 2). Now I can't get enough of them, especially Ok Computer. If ever you happen to be in the same place as marijuana and that album.....the results are rather pleasing. If you're not into that, its still really good, that is if you ever find yourself in the weird state of mind it takes to be in to initially enjoy them.
Reply
#6

There's a huge thread on Fark about this, with me and couple other guys submitting Road Apples and Day for Night as the best album of the last 20 years.

But i'd definitely put Tool's Aenima, Metallica's Master of Puppets and Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory over Radiohead.
Reply
#7

j-monster Wrote:Am I alone here, or does anyone else think Radiohead are overly precious and pretentious? I think they got so consumed with technical brilliance and wizardry that they sucked all the heart and soul out of their music. That's just my opinion, of course, I could be wrong.

This made me week--makes me feel like I'm not all alone in the universe for thinking Radiohead is grotesquely overrated.

Steve-o
Reply
#8

Wizardry has no place in rock & roll.
Reply
#9

I've never listened to a single one of these albums, but I do have a copy of "Straight Outta Compton" that has everything removed except the swearing. It clocks in at nearly 3 minutes long.
Reply
#10

They forgot about an album called "Day for Night" by a little known Canadian band called The Tragically Hip. Spin is an American magazine though, and it's safe to say they have no idea who the Hip are, so I'll forgive 'em.

Oh, and I agree about Radiohead being overrated. The Bends and Ok Computer are absolutely brilliant albums, no question there. I even liked Kid A a little bit. But they totally lost me with Amnesiac, which in my opinion was an incredibly dull record, which didn't surprise me considering it was nothing more than Kid A leftovers. Hail to the Thief was a welcome return to form, and it was great to hear them bust out the guitars again on a few of the tracks...but I still think they're overrated. I've said it before and I'll say it again. At this point in their career, those guys could put out an album of them farting into the mic and critics around the world would call it "brilliant" and "cutting edge" just because it's Radiohead. And that annoys me.
Reply
#11

I have to agree that Amnesiac was a let down. Radiohead albums usually take a few listens to get into. Albums like that usually turn out to be my favorite. It always helps to be stoned when listening to a Radiohead album. After seeing these guys live I have little doubt they are the 2nd greatest band in the world.
Reply
#12

Radiohead — OK Computer :roll:
Public Enemy — It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back :thumb:
Nirvana — Nevermind :thumb:
Pavement — Slanted And Enchanted :rambo:
The Smiths — The Queen Is Dead Confusedhock:
Pixies — Surfer Rosa :jump
De La Soul — 3 Feet High And Rising :thumb:
Prince — Sign O' The Times Confusedcratch:
PJ Harvey — Rid Of Me :jump
NWA — Straight Outta Compton Confusedcratch:

Cool list, brings back a lot of memories.
PJ Harvey and Pavement making this list actually gives it some credibility..
NWA..**meh**
Reply
#13

for me, Radiohead is like this: everyonce in a while I remember that I have all their albums, and I think to myself, "I really should listen to them because their all incredible soundscapes that will transport me to a different state of mind". And then I never get around to it, because it seems like too much time and effort would be required to enjoy the albums, even though on a certain level I know they're really good.

they kind of demand that you plug in with earphones and listen to them in a dark room and have 6 or 7 hours to take it all in (the stuff after The Bends at least).

which isn't a bad thing, I guess.

ct
Reply
#14

direwolf74 Wrote:They forgot about an album called "Day for Night" by a little known Canadian band called The Tragically Hip. Spin is an American magazine though, and it's safe to say they have no idea who the Hip are, so I'll forgive 'em.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. At this point in their career, those guys could put out an album of them farting into the mic and critics around the world would call it "brilliant" and "cutting edge" just because it's Radiohead. And that annoys me.

Day For Night is a masterpiece. Definitely the Hip's best work IMO.

As for your other point about Radiohead putting out anything and critics calling it "brilliant", I agree. I also think this same logic applies to Coldplay, U2, Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

I do think OK Computer and The Bends are GREAT albums though. Radiohead's other stuff is crap IMO.

Say all you want but I still think Jagged Little Pill deserves a spot on that list!!!! :thumb:
Reply
#15

Its all subjective, who cares. Listen to what appeals to you
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)