Posts: 689
Threads: 47
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
In light of the recent election buzz, I thought I would quiz people on political statements/lyrics/rants made by Mr.Downie and the uptown Hip.
Since I am no where near as hardcore as many of you are, and cause I get to go first, I submit:
"War is organized murder, and thats where Steven Harper would have brought you"
Posts: 463
Threads: 62
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
what is it exactly your quizzing us on here? which song this comes from? or what?
Posts: 1,318
Threads: 110
Joined: Jan 2004
Reputation:
0
He said it on July 1 2004 at the Ampitheatre show.
Okay, how about this one.
"This song's for Mike Harris. It's about a trophy salesman who knows that as long as there are losers, business is always good"
There's another one I'm trying to find, I'll post later
Cheers
Pat
Posts: 463
Threads: 62
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
ok, now I get it.. how about...."Brian Mulroney thinks Pierre Trudeau is ruining his legacy..."
Posts: 398
Threads: 21
Joined: Aug 2004
Reputation:
0
is that not Courage from the Ottawa ARA show in '93?
Posts: 295
Threads: 18
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
"I just want to get into the same strip clubs as Brian Mulrooney."
Posts: 481
Threads: 68
Joined: Aug 2004
Reputation:
0
"All we are saying..is give Meech a chance"
(is that how you spell it? :oops: )
Posts: 162
Threads: 8
Joined: Feb 2005
Reputation:
0
"we'd like to do a song now if we could about a Canadian Killer, a bald, fat Winston Churchill"
its not what you think (Kings..)
~Will
Posts: 162
Threads: 8
Joined: Feb 2005
Reputation:
0
oops...I meant to also say that I dont know any of the other ones, they are familiar but as to when he said them and about which song I have no clue.
sorry for the double reply.
~WIll
Posts: 100
Threads: 7
Joined: Nov 2002
Reputation:
0
I don't know the exact quote, and it was obviously an older show that I was at, but a song was introduced something like;
... this song is dedicated "to Robert Bourassa who sent the military in to attack his own people",
in regard to the Oka crisis.
can anyone shed some light as I always go back to that, and can't remember which song it was before.
Posts: 2,672
Threads: 57
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
I seem to recall Downie saying something somewhere about Dudley George...
Jeff
June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place