Posts: 213
Threads: 28
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
It has been so long without a DVD, that I am at the point where I no longer crave a Tragically Hip DVD. I am quite content with the massive amounts of live music I have of theirs anyway.
Just think, they could be one of the only modern bands who existed who were amazing live and never came out with a DVD. Sure it would piss off half the fans, but it would make them that much more awesome.
Say what you will about how they never update their website, or release fun little things. . you know what i mean. . but I think it makes them absolutely awesome. They are the epitome of not selling out.
Posts: 4,352
Threads: 136
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
uhhhh, i don't think releasing a dvd or doing cool things for your fans constitutes selling out...:roll:
and I think they need to hurry their asses up and put out a freakin' dvd already! they could've at least put the old vhs release out on DVD, or maybe even released the Something On special to DVD with the PP music videos included as bonus material. I just hope to high hell that this ACC dvd comes out soon! There's no reason that any band shouldn't have a dvd out, other than A) they're indie, or B) they suck, those are both legitame reasons, but neither apply to das hip.
Posts: 213
Threads: 28
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
Na not really selling out, but I mean, all a DVD means is profit for the band. If they don't put out a DVD it means either:
A) they are stupid
or
B) they just don't care about the money that much
So not selling a DVD would make them awesome. Look at Dave Matthews Band who releases a new live show every other day, despite a lack of good new material, and puts merchandise pamphlets in all the new albums. That is selling out.
Anyways, they could get around this problem by releasing a DVD and selling it for a ridiculously cheap price, like Coldplay did. They would still be awesome in my books if this was done.
Posts: 4,352
Threads: 136
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
not putting out a DVD is stupid, because not only is it a great way to make money, it's a great way to please the fans, it's a win/win situation.
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
I hope they put out a stellar DVD priced as any other DVD would be. I hope that this DVD sells a couple million copies, and that finally, the rest of the world has the opportunity to see how awesome this band really is.
Musicians put out CDs and DVDs to make money. End of story. It's how they earn a living, and it is what enables them to continue putting out new music.
And why is it so important to you intothenight that a band be "badass"? And why would it impress you/please you if a band you are willing to spend "top dollar" to support blatantly display the fact that they don't care about you - the fan that has been the source of their income for nearly 20 years?
You argument sounds a little naive to me..
Posts: 689
Threads: 47
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
I don't know how Hawksley Workman was able to release a DVD featuring a full length show, and all his music videos, for only 12 bucks..but he did it, and the Hip should definately look into his management...
But in all honesty, i was at the acc show (like ya'll) and Im willing to dish out a ridiculous amount of cash for this dvd....if and when it shows...
I can almost hear the chords to 3 pistols starting now.....
Posts: 1,593
Threads: 154
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
my feelings are is the dvd will be packaged together with the greatest hits cd as for an insentive for fans to buy the gh package
ron
Posts: 2,571
Threads: 145
Joined: May 2003
Reputation:
0
ron Wrote:my feelings are is the dvd will be packaged together with the greatest hits cd as for an insentive for fans to buy the gh package
ron
and just to add to that an unreleased CD....I hope

Now that i'd pay top dollhair for :thumb:
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Posts: 1,577
Threads: 35
Joined: Sep 2004
Reputation:
0
This is just one man's opinion, but ...
I think it would be supercool if they released a DVD of them sitting around in the studio doign acoustic versions of all the unreleased songs like Get Back Again and Ouch and If You Lived Here You'd Be Home By Now and the one about the Cookie Factory and the version of Thugs where Kate Fenner plays the trombone and Chris Brown plays the spoons. And for bonus material it came with a Greatest Hits CD featuring them playing a medley of all their songs for 12 hours at the Junos, with Gord Sinclair doing muscle poses on the cover and a poster of Gord Downie in a scuba suit cleaning a killerwhaletank and Rob Baker in his Jesus Christ Superstar suit cleaning a bagpipe and Johnny Fay snarling at fans at eating a hoagie. And the booklet would be like the Live Between Us packaging only more involved and less informative, but with like two or three times as many pictures of Johnny's bare ass. And at the end of the DVD, they play NOIS and someone throws a shoe at Gord and he uses Paul Langlois as a human shield and they give you all the codes to the Hip Club so that you can download those other twenty songs they recorded for the EP and plus they give you the patches so that you can update the site yourself.
Now ... that, I'd pay top dollar for.
ct
Posts: 3,220
Threads: 297
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
I think it'll be [LTR] well worth the wait [/LTR]