Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Cat Cloning Proves Popular!
#1

Many pros and cons, I think people should just get a pet from the shelter...

Quote:Cat Cloning Proves Popular
In February 2004 we launched the “Nine Lives Extravaganza,” our initial cat cloning service. In December we began delivering cloned kittens to our satisfied clients, resulting in media coverage around the world and inquiries from thousands of cat lovers. We're now focused on refining and scaling our cat cloning services to make them more affordable and available.

New Reduced Price: $32,000
GSC's cat cloning expertise has grown significantly over the past four years. Today our efficiency approaches that of natural breeding. We're about to open a new state–of–the–art cloning facility, which increases our cloning capacity. Thanks to this increased efficiency and capacity, we’ve lowered the price for cat cloning to $32,000.

Health & Appearance Guarantee
When you purchase a clone from GSC, you'll receive a healthy kitten that looks virtually identical to his or her predecessor. Before delivery of your kitten, our staff veterinarian will perform a complete physical examination to ensure perfect health, which we guarantee. If you feel that your kitten doesn't sufficiently resemble the genetic donor, we’ll refund your money in full with no questions asked.

Low Price Guarantee
Although we don't anticipate another price reduction in 2005, you're covered regardless. If we reduce the price of our cat cloning service before your kitten is ready for delivery, you may pay the new, lower price. There's no reason to wait for a price reduction before placing your order.

Delivery Time
Our cat cloning process always begins at PetBank, our gene banking facility. After your cat's DNA is stored in PetBank, you'll have the option to clone your cat at any time. The following is the average timeline for cloning your cat:
Cloning Process Time Required
PetBanking 21 days
Embryo Production 14 days
Pregnancy 65 days
Weaning 60 days
Total 160 days

Contact GSC for a Personal Consultation
If you have questions regarding our services, we invite you to contact us today for a personal consultation. Our services are offered on a first come, first-served basis. We expect demand to increase significantly as more people learn of our price reduction.

U.S. Toll Free: 888-833-6063
From Outside the U.S.: 415-289-2525

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.savingsandclone.com/services/cat_cloning.html">http://www.savingsandclone.com/services ... oning.html</a><!-- m -->

I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Reply
#2

It's fascinating I'll admit, and if it were affordable someday I would love to clone my dog after she dies.

But I will never actually do it. The only way this idea would have merit would be if there wasn't a surplus of cats and dogs already. The pet overpopulation problem will never be solved in our lifetimes, so even considering this option would be unconscionable IMHO.
Reply
#3

But cloning your dog won't give you the same dog.

I have a big problem with $32,000 pet cats. Smells like an excuse to spend money, to me.
Reply
#4

OK I just did some digging on their site about this very issue, and found this in their "Ethics FAQ":


Given that people who clone their pets might otherwise adopt unwanted pets, aren't you adding to the problem of unwanted dogs and cats?

It may seem counterintuitive, but by doing business with us, our clients are actually reducing pet overpopulation. The cloning of any species requires large numbers of eggs for embryo production. In the case of pet species, we purchase these eggs (in the form of whole ovaries) from spay clinics, which would otherwise simply discard them as waste. The clinics then use the cash we provide to spay more dogs and cats, hundreds for every clone we produce. The result is a net reduction in pet overpopulation.




Hmmmm...I'm not sure about this, although it is conceivable. I would love to hear the other side of this argument from a representative of the SPCA or a similar organization. I'm going to ask someone from my local SPCA to chime in on this thread if possible.
Reply
#5

skippy the wonder dog Wrote:But cloning your dog won't give you the same dog.


But it WOULD be identical in a physical sense, right? Exact same DNA. Obviously, it would be a puppy and therefore it's brain wouldn't be developed yet. It wouldn't know you or love you (yet), and it would have to be raised again.

But if you raised the puppy the same way, in the same environment (household), wouldn't it end up having the same disposition and personality as well? (assuming you raised it the first time also). I don't know for sure, but it sure seems like it would. In essence, it would be the same dog. Maybe "identical" is a better word, rather than "same". Obviously, it is a different dog, since the other one is dead.


Of course $32k is a ridiculous amount of money for us normal folk. But to many people it's a drop in the bucket. Plus, if this catches on in a big way, the price may come down to say $1000 some day. I predict that LOTS of people will do this if it only costs a grand.
Reply
#6

I don't care what their stupid faq says... this whole concept just makes me insanely angry. There are numerous cats who are put down everyday because nobody wants them and what do these people do - clone more! It makes me sick to my stomach.
Why is there even a need for cloning an over-populated species? Shelters across the country are already packed to maximum capacity and things just keep getting worse.
I think people need to stop playing god and maybe try focusing their knowledge and expertise on something that will improve the conditions in which we live in already. There should definately be restrictions on reproducing over-populated species.
I have five pets and I can't even begin to think about them passing away one day. I love them more than anything but I would never clone them. Like Skippy said, it wouldn't be the same pet. You can't clone their personality, your bond or all the memories.
And as Lance said - go to a shelter. There are perfectly fine animals who need a home and sure as hell don't cost $32 grand.
Reply
#7

LastStop Wrote:But it WOULD be identical in a physical sense, right? Exact same DNA ...

But if you raised the puppy the same way, in the same environment (household), wouldn't it end up having the same disposition and personality as well?

Nope and nope. Physically very similar, disposition very similar, personality possibly quite different.

I'm the father of identical twins; exact same DNA. Their physical appearance is extremely similar (identical to people who don't know them well), but different. And these are not trivial things, like the way they comb their hair. For example, the dentist says only one will be seeing an orthodontist. One has a birthmark the other lacks. Etc.

And although they are both raised in the same household, they have strikingly different personalities. I can tell them apart with my eyes closed, as soon as they start talking.

We forget that although the blueprint may be the same, different conditions begin affecting the animal as soon as it starts to grow. There's a large element of chance involved.

The response to the FAQ is a sign we're looking at snake-oil salesmen: that they buy ova from spay clinics does not mean that more animals get spayed. Pet overpopulation is not a function of underfunded spay clinics; it's a function of breeders oversupplying the market. Competition from cloners selling $32,000 kittens will not reduce the number of puppy mills.
Reply
#8

skippy the wonder dog Wrote:I'm the father of identical twins; exact same DNA. Their physical appearance is extremely similar (identical to people who don't know them well), but different. And these are not trivial things, like the way they comb their hair. For example, the dentist says only one will be seeing an orthodontist. One has a birthmark the other lacks. Etc.


Hmmm...very interesting.


Quote:The response to the FAQ is a sign we're looking at snake-oil salesmen: that they buy ova from spay clinics does not mean that more animals get spayed. Pet overpopulation is not a function of underfunded spay clinics; it's a function of breeders oversupplying the market.


Yeah, that's what I was thinking...that's why I was skeptical of their claims.


On a somewhat related note...did you ever see the movie "Gattaca"? Great movie and raises so many legitimate questions about the ethics of genetic manipulation. It's high quality science fiction...that could easily change from fiction to reality in our lifetimes.
Reply
#9

The kitten they successfully cloned a couple of years ago wasn't even the same colour as the--would you call it her mother? I suppose other physical features might have ended up being the same, like the shape of the head, but at a glance it sure didn't look like the same cat.

Aside from the adoption issue, I find the idea of cloning a pet creepy. It sounds to me like the owner is trying to avoid admitting that sometimes the ones we love DIE. They live for a certain time, and then they DIE, and because they are irreplaceable individuals, we then need to develop another relationship with another irreplaceable individual. Trying to get around it by cloning actually strikes me as disrespectful of the bond the owner had with the original animal. I suppose they don't mean it that way, but that's how it hits me.
Reply
#10

Coneycat Wrote:The kitten they successfully cloned a couple of years ago wasn't even the same colour as the--would you call it her mother? I suppose other physical features might have ended up being the same, like the shape of the head, but at a glance it sure didn't look like the same cat.


It explains this on the site:

"As the world's first cat clone, CC made international headlines when her birth was announced in February 2002 (she had been born two months earlier, in December 2001). But the public was mystified: CC is a white and tiger-tabby, whereas her genetic donor Rainbow is a calico cat. Why didn't the two look more alike? The answer has to do with a genetic anomaly unique to calico cats, explained here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.savingsandclone.com/cloning/x_link.html">http://www.savingsandclone.com/cloning/x_link.html</a><!-- m -->"
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)